Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone use '50's Chrysler p/s?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by draggin breath, May 16, 2010.

1. draggin breath

draggin breath

last week I stripped a '55 windsor that had the p/s built into the column above the box that was also compact. It looked like it would be a natural in a shoebox or early '50's chevy. Has anyone tried one?

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

If you have any pics....I would be interested in seeing the unit.......either post, PM/e-mail them..........thanks,

Ray

3. draggin breath

draggin breath

Sorry,no pics. I didn't have my camera. But its a nice compact unit. the center link and tie rods layout looked promising too.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

So, are you saying you no longer have the unit?.............and if not, I guess I don't understand the point of the original post..............

Ray

5. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ray, it should be the same one as in your 55 Hardtop, unless yours doesn't have the steering column in it anymore. Or did Chrysler make some 55's without power steering?

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Mine is a none power steering car......I am not so much interested in it for that car as for an OT project........thought it might be useable to add power steering to a small tractor a buddy has.........I'm going to use a late model integral power steering gear on the '55 Windsor..........

Ray

7. 49deluxe

49deluxe

does it look like this? this is the steering box on my '54 chrysler new yorker. i was told all you need is a pump to make it work.

Attached Files:

8. Squablow

Squablow

My '55 Dodge has a power steering box and I just got one of the rare 6 volt power steering generators for it so I'm hoping to hook it up soon.

My Dodge box is aluminum, not sure if it's the same one as the Chrysler has. But if it is, it's got some value just for resale, as very few Dodge cars came with power steering and it's the kind of option that a lot of people would like to add.

9. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's a couple of pics of the one in my 56 New Yorker. Can't see all of it 'cause the old Hemi takes a lot of space. It's aluminum, probably more like the '55 is than the '54 shown in an earlier pic.

Attached Files:

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That looks like the unit in my '56 Studebaker Sky Hawk........not doubt stude purchased it from some supplier.......the power unit is integral with the steering box.

Ray

11. draggin breath

draggin breath

The one posted by Ebbspeed is it. I didn't pull it but know where several others are. The box itself is small and the assembly seems compact enough to fit many applications. I have enough parts pulled ahead;I'm an old fart.