Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone still "Hold" a car on someones word anymore??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kellys Hot Rod Parts, Jul 30, 2012.

1. I had a vehicle for sale and had a retired school teacher call to look at it from 1 hr. away. I sent him over 20 pictures before he was to look at it.The day he was to come I told him I had court on a town issue(I am the chairman) the case went over so..I called him and he was lost couldnt find my shop and went home. 3 days later he asked me to hold the truck and he was coming to buy it on Wendsday..So we finally make the connection he again asks me to hold it until Friday so he can decide..now I am starting to doubt his intentions but agree...He was a teacher certainly his word must be worth something..Keep in mind I do have another party interested and have been told they want purchase my vehicle and I believe they will ,we had discussed the deal 3 times over the phone, I explain the situation to him. He is agreeable and says he will wait to see what happens........ fast forward to Friday still nothing from the jerk that I am holding it for, but a very nice call from the other buyer telling me he has purchased a truck elseware and he was no longer interested in my truck..Monday I get a call from the buyer and he says I just thought I should call to tell you I have changed my mind and I dont think I could restore your truck.....Am I to trusting should I do like a lot of other never tust a potential buyer? I was always proud of the fact that I am a handshake kind of guy but as of late I am second guessing myself What gives with these people.....I had a collector car dealership and never had so much wafflleing in my 15 years of selling ..I feel really glad I closed last fall, it seems like alot of these so called car guys are playing games in the wrong yard....... Oh and another thing why do guys make trade offers here and then never reply when you pm them?..could it be we have some possers here without real cars and to much time on their hands?? Please guys prove me wrong.....WOW I am staring to feel better already.......

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  2. joeybsyc

joeybsyc
    from PA

Money talks, BS walks. I politely tell anyone who calls me that it's for sale, and whoever puts up the cash first gets it. If they put a deposit down that's a different story.

3. 94hoghead

94hoghead

4. firingorder1

firingorder1

If a buyer tells me he will be at my place at 1 p.m. Friday I will hold it until then. But no longer. If someone else is interested I tell them someone else is interested and will call by 1 p.m. Friday. If the original interested party is not there at the agreed time it's yours.

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

cash and carry always works well for me. buying and selling. someone coming to look in a couple days means nothing. someone who hasn't even seen it and says they want it means nothing as well.

it's pretty simple really. I never get my hopes up that something is sold until they have thier wallet out.

6. 29moonshine

29moonshine

frist one with the cash gets[ it deposit is non refundable after a date and time] is the only way i deal anymore

7. If his "word" is backed by a few hundreds, past that, NOPE.

8. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

I have a guy holding a car for me right now just on my word, thankfully he is a very nice guy as it is a good buy and it is a car that I really want, he is holding the car untill the weekend when I can get away to go get it as it is about a 6-7 hour one way drive for me. I did not expect him to do it but he offered to do it and I am very thankfull for that, I offered to overnight a deposit on the car but he said dont worry about it I will hang on to it for ya. Jim

9. Recently!

It was the first time I have ever done it that way. To make a long story short! "I'LL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN"

10. power wagon

power wagon

i will hold it ,but then again iam a hoarder so dont really sell much

11. Yeah, unless the party called and is on the way, get a non-refundable deposit.

12. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

No deposit, no hold. unless it's a close friend.

13. i have a lady holding a car for me untill i get off call for work tomorrow. she has been since tuesday of last week. and she knocked the price down to something i can afford. i have stayed in contact and if i was'nt on call i would have already went and picked up. so with anyluck at all i will have a new parts car tomorrow evening.

14. Unless the guy is standin' there with a handfull of cash & a empty trailer....most of the time it's nothin' but bullshit.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never had a car for sale that was a big ticket item but have told people you are next or __ __ or __ down the list if the guy that is coming to look at it doesn't take it. I had a guy hold a piece of shop equipment for me until I could get there a couple of months ago and he did and the second guy in line had him on the phone asking if I had showed up when I backed up to his shop.

I'm after a car right now that I am pulling money out of an account that is hard to get funds out of (logistics) but won't ask the guy to hold it for me for another week. Hopefully no one else has the cash in their pocket either. Asking them to hold something Until I drive X miles to their location is one thing, asking them to hold it for several days without a deposit is a bit much.

16. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Take nonrefundable deposits to hold the car. $500 holds it for a week. If he doesn't come in a week, drop the price by $500 to the next guy.

I was selling something a while back and the guy said "Will you take $300 cash, right now". I said sure and put out my hand. He then said "Oh, I don't have any money on me, I have to go get it" I was dumbfounded, but he came back and bought it.

17. Moose223

Moose223

Many of "CALL YOU TOMMOROW" and "I'LL BRING CASH" well, I guess this is the nature of our society today. Nothing is more agitating than to take a persons word and having it broken. What happened to word and bond! I know, reality sucks.

18. Oldsmell

Oldsmell

First come first serve....if they want it they'll be there

19. If a guy calls me ,shows interest and he is leaving and a couple of hrs. away. Sure I will hold it, for a couple of hrs. If someone else calls ,I explain there is someone on thier way but they can come look at it. Most of the time someone wants to haggle about price and make an offer. The second person makes an offer and the first guy has to beat it. I have found most people go along with that. I try to treat people the way I want treated. I have traveled hrs. to look at a car. I don't guarantee I will buy it just ask since I'm traveling that far to hold it till I get there.(Again that is I'm hanging up the phone and headed toward you.) Bought some and let the guy that made an offer have the others

20. hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

As said before- first one with the money wins. When The UNICEF gets in the car business, then we'll hold on someone's word.

21. oldolds

oldolds

I will hold a car on someones word, after they have looked at the car, there is a time limit though. IE. he has to go to the bank for a loan, 2 days then I get a comfirmation he was at bank and loan looked good, no confirmation it is up for sale. Or you have the money but need next weeks paycheck so you ain't broke, I will give you a little time. If you say you get paid on Thursday I put a Friday noon limit. You need to give those guys a deadline. It makes them more upstanding. Don't put it in writing just a handshake and no deposit. That way if they don't come back on time and you sell it there isn't any reason to see them again. They usually have a bad attitude when they come around 2 weeks later looking for thier money back because you sold the car out from under them. Even worse when chemicals are involved.

22. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If they are coming a distance to look at it I will hold it until the time they said they will be here,if they dont show the next caller gets it. I have had people hold stuff for me so I try to do the same for others and dont like it when others wont hold it,I had someone hold a car in Florida with no deposit for a few months so whats a couple days.

23. I am very specific about my stuff and send detailed pictures to anyone interested...No one likes a wild goose chase..I had had that experience more than once..Hell this sping I drove 7 hrs one wayto pick up a car , only to see a piece of shit with plates and an idiot with a title, that folks was a very angry drive home... its getting harder to tell the guys in white hats from the robbers now!

24. A couple of days can be the loss of the second buyer thats the case here!!

25. The teacher has jerked your chain more than once,,,call the next guy in line.

In today's economy you NEED to make a sale not play games. HRP

26. Cerberus

Cerberus

I have done it with a non-refundable 20% deposit, and a time deadline. If they are one hour late they forfeit their deposit. You would be surprized at how soon the buyer returns with the rest of the cash.

27. I won't base a purchase off a photo .Pictures sometimes can lie.Your right can't tell the good from bad .Most people are honest.I want to look at it or have someone I know do it.I too have drove hours many times for a good buy only to say GOOD BYE!. Look for a good seafood or steak house and get something to eat. If you don't like the chase or selling to people which sometimes I don't ?????

And that guy one of the JERKS

28. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Somebodys word means very little these days...

29. Dizzie

Dizzie

Don't be too hard on retired teachers, I'm one of them. Ha Ha. I had a situation a couple of weeks ago where a guy came to look at a gas pump that I had for sale. He told me that he would take it, but didn't have all the cash needed. We shook hands on it. I told him to pay me the full amount when he picked it up. He said that he would bring along his wife to pick it up. Apparently on the way to pick it up, his wife talked him out of buying it, and he called to tell me that he would have to back out of the deal.

30. frank spittle

frank spittle

No. The days of a handshake agreement are long gone. I believe it has a lot to do with the decay of morality. It is truly sad.