Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone seen the Stainless Steel 36 Ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cleatus, Jan 15, 2010.

1. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

A friend sent me this:

1936 Stainless Steel Ford-
    This is the 1936 Ford Tudor Sedan built for and owned by Allegheny Ludlum Steel. This is 1 of only 4 in existence and is the only one currently in running & in road worthy condition. The car is in exceptional condition, with the interior and even the frame looking great. All 4 cars each had over 200,000 miles on them before they removed them from service.
    These cars were built for Allegheny as promotional and marketing projects. The top salesmen each year were given the honor of being able to drive them for one year. The v-8 engine (max 85 hp) ran like a sewing machine and was surprisingly smooth and quiet.
    FYI, the car was insured (we were told) for the trip to Louisville via covered trailer for 1.5 million dollars.
    We were also told that the dies were ruined by stamping the stainless car parts, making these the last of these cars ever produced.

Attached Files:

2. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Yes!!!!!!
    Many times!!!!!

3. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

These three were at the Eyes on Design Concourse event at the Edsel Ford Estate in 2008

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Are those dents in the side of the T-bird or is it just the photo?

5. nutajunka

nutajunka

I'd say dents and creases.

6. my keyboard is sticky.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  7. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Yeah! Very, very cool cars! I remember back in the late-60's- early-70's, Rod & Custom did an article on the stainless steel Fords, T-Birds and Lincolns.

Mart3406
    ============================

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. slik

slik

these also made the rounds at the concours d'elegance at meadowbrook a few years back.

9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Yep, and in the Lincoln as well.

10. chopper99

chopper99
    Member Emeritus

Seen them all, I'm retired from Allegheny Ludlum Steel, the company that produced the stainless steel used in their construction.

greener200, WDobos and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Very cool. Got any photos to share. Perhaps build ones??

12. Flathead26T

Flathead26T

I have seen one of the 36 Fords on several occasions. There was one on display at the Andy Warhol Museaum in Pittsburgh a few years back. For all i know it could still be there.

13. Big Tony

Big Tony

Sweet story..would dig seeing them in person sometime. Evidentally they were built well since they all held up for 200,000 miles before retired.

14. chopper99

chopper99
    Member Emeritus

No pics, I'm old,but not that old.

15. UA_HoBo

UA_HoBo
    from Oswego NY

I looked at a 41 chevy coupe about 10 years ago and it had an extra set of front fenders that were made out of stainless. Every person my father and i have told about those fenders tell us we are full of shit. But it was no doubt stainless

16. 56 Royal Lancer

56 Royal Lancer

I was at the "Back to the 50's" in New Castle, PA a few year back and a guy was driving around in a stainless '36. Even took it on the cruise to Elwood City. Amazing to see it being driven like that!

17. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Neat. I've see pictures of these cars from time to time, but never got to look at one up close. Thanks for posting.

18. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Why are there dents in all 3 cars ??

19. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Shipping mishaps over the years from what I was told.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

:DVery funny. I just thought that perhaps the company might have published a book or something for their employees with company history or something that might have had indepth info including photos. When I work for AAA they gave each new employee a large hardback book with the company's histroy in it. It was kinda neat.

pitman and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. roddinron

roddinron

I call bullshit!:D

I used to work there for a short time too between high school and the military. The story I heard was that they used to let employee of the month, or something like that, drive them, and that's why they're banged up. They're a pretty familiar sight around here.

WDobos and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. Shobra

Shobra
    from SLC, Utah

For once it's true..... "That will buff right out" (well almost)

23. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Only the external parts are stainless steel, the floor and internal bracing etc is regular steel.
    When one was found years ago painted and on a car in Arizona(?) the floors were bad in it and the buyers didn't know it was a stainless car until he started to strip the paint.

24. I got that same email last year about the 36 ford, but I did not know about the Thunderbird or the Lincoln. That's some Cool stuff right there.

CBB

25. The 60 T-Bird and the Lincoln are now on display at the AACA Museum in Hershey PA. I saw them last week along with the GM Futureliner.

26. chopper99

chopper99
    Member Emeritus

27. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I thought you paid closer attention to my thread than that....:rolleyes::D

28. xmb63

xmb63
    from pittsburgh

I seen them on display at the frick house that they converted into a museum in Pittsburgh.

29. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

"my cats breath smells like cat food'

30. Mabey Henry Ford mixed these up with his Hemp Resin Cars......
    This is a picture of him taking a sledgehammer to one of these Hemp cars.
    They would not crack, split, dent, or RUST!!!!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]
    Henry Ford and his Resin Stiffened, Hemp Fiber Car that ran on ethanol produced from hemp.

Biomass, ethanol alternatives to gasoline, and especially Homegrown Biodiesel Fuel.

We believe that the main reason hemp is illegal today is because of biomass potential. The first diesel engines (by Rudolph Diesel in 1894) were invented to run on hempseed oil; petroleum wasn't synthesized to mimic hempseed oil for over a decade thereafter. Hempseed oil was the primary fuel for automobiles for over 30 years after the invention of the first internal combustion engines.

Diesel expected that his engine would be powered by vegetable oils (including hemp) and seed oils. At the 1900 World's Fair, Diesel ran his engines on peanut oil. Later, George Schlichten invented a hemp 'decorticating' machine that stood poised to revolutionize paper making. Henry Ford demonstrated that cars can be made of, and run on, hemp. Ford recognized the utility of the hemp plant. He constructed a car of resin stiffened hemp fiber, and even ran the car on ethanol made from hemp. Ford knew that hemp could produce vast economic resources if widely cultivated.

Evidence suggests a special-interest group that included the DuPont petrochemical company, Secretary of the Treasury Andrew Mellon (Dupont's major financial backer), and the newspaper man William Randolph Hearst mounted a yellow journalism campaign against hemp. Hearst deliberately confused psychoactive marijuana with industrial hemp, one of humankind's oldest and most useful resources. DuPont and Hearst were heavily invested in timber and petroleum resources, and saw hemp as a threat to their empires. Petroleum companies also knew that petroleum emits noxious, toxic byproducts when incompletely burned, as in an auto engine. Pollution was important to Diesel and he saw his engine as a solution to the inefficient, highly polluting engines of his time. In 1937 DuPont, Mellon and Hearst were able to push a "marijuana" prohibition bill through Congress in less than three months, which destroyed the domestic hemp industry.

The Virginia Law Review analysis of the 1937 hearings on the Marijuana Tax Act described them as "a near comic example of dereliction of legislative responsibility" and "a case study in legislative carelessness." It noted that "no primary empirical evidence was presented about the effects of the drug...(only) hearsay and emotional pleas from the Federal Bureau of Narcotics and a few state law enforcement agents." The law "was tied neither to scientific study nor the law enforcement need." The legislative review concluded that Congress has been "hoodwinked."

In that same year, 1937, DuPont filed its patent on nylon, a synthetic fiber that took over many textile and cordage markets that would have gone to hemp. More than half the American cars on the road between 1922 and 1984 were built by General Motors, which guaranteed DuPont a captive market for paints, varnishes, plastics, rubber, etc. The DuPonts were able to use their control of the entire sphere of the auto and fuel industries to keep out incompatible technologies. It made little difference to them that Henry Ford built a hemp-mobile and secretly grew fields of hemp to become independent of the oil industry. He could not keep it up long under the state and federal bans.

Petroleum is out of balance. Biofuels are sustainable and in balance.

In comparison, petroleum is capital intensive and requires the maintenance of market share. The petroleum and petrochemical industries have always wanted to prohibit hemp.

The major advantages of natural vegetable oil are:
    High calorific value, High energy density,
    Liquid in form and thus easy to handle.
    When burned it emits less soot
    When burned it has high energy efficiency.
    It is neither harmful nor toxic to humans, animals, soil nor water
    It is neither flammable nor explosive, and does not release toxic gases
    It is easy to store, transport and handle,
    It does not cause damage if accidentally spilled
    Its handling does not require special care.
    It is produced directly by nature: It does not have to be transformed
    It does not have adverse ecological effects when used, It is a recyclable form of energy
    It does not contain sulphur: It does not cause acid rain when used
    When burned it is neutral in C02: No contribution to the greenhouse effect.

freetheplant.net (is where this info came from)

The famous car maker Lotus plans on releasing a high end car made with hemp similar to Henry Ford's hemp car that was ten times stronger than steel and ran on Hemp oil fuel like Willie Nelson sells at his Willie Gas filling stations.

AND WE WONDER WHY WERE PAYING $3-4 BUCKS A GALLON FOR GASOLINE AND WAGING WARS OVER IT LIKE THERE WAS NEVER ANY ALTERNATIVE AVAILIBLE?????????????
    ALL WHILE OILS AND FOSSIL FUELS WREK HAVOK WITH THE ENVIRONMENT?
    80 YEARS AGO PEOPLE WERE TOO "iN THE DARK" TO SEE WHAT WAS GOING ON.
    WHATS OUR EXCUSE????? -Alfred.

brando1956 and chryslerfan55 like this.