Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone see the HOT ROD magazine coverage of the HCPU 08?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnboy13, Jan 15, 2009.

1. geez ... come on
    its a little story ...about a car show

done by some guys(FREELANCE PROLLY) who saw what they saw.. and wrote about it
    did yall look for your own ride in the background ... then go back and read the text....i did
    it ain't about how much they are making fun of your personnal taste .. the cars for the article were picked cuz the stood out over the one thats looked kinda the same .. i know .. i know pick pick pick ... 30 -40 black hoodless model A's look the same to the untrained eye

club plaques club jackets cuffed jeans tattoos ... seems like they are not far off

magazine coverage is not always glamorous ....
    keep gripin and they will stay away

GEEZ WHAT DO YOU ALL WANT ANY WAY...

2. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I got my copy today in the mail. I agree with Squirrel in that the article is not that bad. In fact it does a pretty good job giving the Camaro and 5.0 guys a beginner's lesson in some of the differences in style and terminology. Would that article fly in R&C? Definitely not.

The pics and the captions could have been better to illustrate the differences but it was ok. I love the pic of Drew's coupe.

I think it rules that we finally made it into a full blown article in HOT ROD. Bitch all you want, but c'mon, it's HOT ROD. I've been reading it since I was a kid and I started reading my Dad's old mags. I'm cutting out the article and putting it in my scrapbook. :D

Check out the Pileup coverage in Vintage Torque too. John did a nice job.

3. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

i think your missing the point or needing to get laid! the folks from the mag dont have the proper understanding of what this show is about! is there "rat rods"? yeah, but out of 1300 cars, 150 might fit that bill!! the rest are customs and hot rods!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  4. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

I thought the article in Hot Rod was much better than the coverage in Hot Rod Deluxe. The article in HRD totally missed the boat in my opinion. You'd think it would have been the other way around.:confused:

5. Bullet Man

Bullet Man

if the shoe fits! wear it!

6. solid

solid

I dont see the big deal. The non hot rodders have been calling anything in primer, or with faded paint rat rods for years, and believe it or not to some people it's not meant in a bad way. If some old lady, or little kid tells me they like my rat rod at the local gas station i say thanks and move on. As long as your peers(hambers, buddies, and other car guys) know the difference, who cares. Hot rod must be doing something right they have been here since the beginning, and will most likely be the last dog to die. I think it's cool that they covered the event, and even thought to say there is a difference in a rat rod, and a traditional rod. Maybe more kids will get the cars out of the fields, and into the shops. At least it will keep them out of the crusher, even if they do have some surface rust, or painted to look like mag wheels on em. I say congrats to you guys on the coverage in a mainstream(yeah i said it) magazine, and maybe start looking for a place with more room. Hopefully there will be a lot more hot rods,customs, traditional rods, and the dreaded rat rods there next year. I think we should all be happy about the coverage, even if it was a little off. I say the more the merriererer

7. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

These were my thoughts as well. It isn't a nich mag. It is Hot Rod, they cater a little bit to everyone. Coverage is coverage. Some of you act like they said "stay away, it's horrible!"

8. This years Hunnert was my first. I am 67 years old and have been to lots of different types of car events and I have to tell you that this one was the most laid back, enjoyable show I have been to so far. No matter if it was a traditional car, a custom or a you know one of them that starts with an "r" they were KOOL. I saw some things that I wouldn't do but I am sure when people looked at my truck they saw things that they would not do if it was theirs. There were tats, piercings and colored hair that caught my attention. If this kind of thing was available or being done when I was a kid I probably would have been right in the thick of it. I enjoyed all aspects of the Hunnert and hope to be there in 09. Thanks to the CZARS for having us.
    Later,
    Dick

9. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

dick! your now on my xmas card list!!!! perfect !!!!

10. I think everyone is tired of hearing about your worm hole! :eek::eek::eek:

11. BigJim394

BigJim394

Hey, there's a lot of Cameros for sale in the local pennysaver. Some of them have Cragers, too!

I let my subscription to HRM lapse about a year ago. Yesterday the new issue showed up in my mailbox. Looks like they gave me a FREE one year subscrption. Now why would they do this you ask? The usual reason is that the total number of subscribers has fallen below a set number they have to have in order to charge certain advertising rates, and they need to up the subscriber total, as the real money is made in ad revenue, not subscriptions. As I stated in a previous thread, HRM has pretty much dissapeared from most store magazine racks around here (supermarkets, chain drug store, Walmarts), and the only place you can consistently find it is at a decent magazine store.
    I think HRM is having problems.
    The HCPU article is about what I would expect from something like HRM that tries to appeal to all sorts of people interested in performance vehicles.

12. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

they just finished a promo for subs. Renew yours and give one to a friend. Perhaps you have a friend that decided you needed to broaden your horizons and read HRM?:D

13. BigJim394

BigJim394

Could be. Thanks for the info. Still, the reason they would do that is they need a higher total number of subscribers.

14. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

Not to hijack, but this is a huge pet peeve of mine. At a local outdoor car show a few years ago, I saw a decent '68 Camaro, but the killer part was in the package tray was a custom-embroidered hat that read, " Dave's 1968 Camero" Niiiiiiiiice...

15. Racewriter

Racewriter

WGAF about labels. Congrats to the guys who put on a show that merited 8 friggin' pages in the world's largest hot rodding magazine! As a freelance writer, I can tell you that getting 8 pages in ANY magazine, for ANY subject, is a helluva feat.

16. My Gauwd!!!!!!!! I don't understand how anyone could knock the pileup...I do believe it's the greatest show thats ever happened to the midwest!!! In fact if I could only get to one show a year around here......
    It's mention in hotrod only solidifies it's pulling power and influence...Good day..

17. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

Camero/ Camaro, I thought it looked a little funny when I typed it oh well better luck next time!!:D

18. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Actually, the Cheaters show is the best in the midwest. But the Pileup is a close second.

19. That one had me in tears, holy shithouse is that funny.

20. hemi

hemi

Most of the problem with the article is that they took a good chance to document a great show to re-hash the rat rod - hot rod definition. To many on this board it is about a decade too late. To the general automotive public interested in other areas, maybe they DO need it spelled out for them because they simply do not know. No more than many traditional rodders know the difference between a SP and a DP, a Splitty and bay, or even a Zwitter and a fat chick... it all depends on what you are in to.

I think it was well intended by somebody trying to help, but it would have been better as a stand alone article with specific (and accurate) examples and not a coat ride over a car show... and again, it's been hashed to death. Personally I just rolled my eyes when I saw the title and thought "Here we go AGAIN..."

I was glad to see the show documented in Hot Rod - that's what's really important here.. When the people who "know" fade away, the crusty pages of the 2009 issue will stand as a testament to some cool cars having fun and document how it was WAY back then...

For those that don't "like" labels... maybe it's because you REALLY don't know what you are looking at, or your car is a mis-match of styles and you are hoping other people don't notice. A rat rod is a rat rod, a wax rod is a wax rod, and a confused hot rod is a confused hot rod.

For the record, here's my "Torino" ;)

[​IMG]

21. hemi

hemi

And "high-performance long blocks," Holly carbs and newly rebuilt motors with 40,000 miles on them... Running when parked... :D

22. 1lowtoy

1lowtoy
    BANNED

Personally i say we should just call all of our cars and others badass old cars instead of hotrod or rat rod. Since there is such negative connotation to the two. Because they are "badass".

23. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

I agree "rat rod" is a terrible label, but it's stuck, like it or not. Now you know how I felt when I rode sportbikes and every idiot and his dog insisted on calling them "crotch rockets".

24. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Hahaha, touché!

"What kind of bike do you have?"

A Ducati

"Oh, a crotch rocket?"

No, it's a Ducati. It's a sport bike. Actually it's a race bike for the street.

"Like a crotch rocket?"

Ugh. :D

25. weez

weez

I like that it said "32 A-V8" on the cover

26. Hellfish

Hellfish

There's a lot of really great shows in the Midwest... The Cheaterama, Blacktop Barons' Road Block, Kropdusters' Rust Revival, Tin Butchers' show, Road Rockets' show, to name a few... and that's just those near the Chicago area! We're proud to count the Pileup amongst those greats.

27. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Haha... yeah, I noticed that, too (on the Hot Rod Deluxe cover). :rolleyes:

28. Horsepower67

Horsepower67

Damn typos... :rolleyes:

29. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

i think its the other way around joe! im proud to see our show in any sentence with the pileup!:cool: