Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone see the HOT ROD magazine coverage of the HCPU 08?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnboy13, Jan 15, 2009.

1. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

ugg...shut up!:rolleyes:
    there were more trad cars there then anything! how cares what the fuck the kids wear! for long your gonna be yelling for everyone to "get off my lawn":rolleyes:

2. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

It still seems like quite a few there play dressup . This new movement is what makes me hate the 50s now.And why i have been selling all the 50s stuff i have.Also why i do not go to any car shows.

3. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

so, you havent been to the pileup, but you can judge it??? makes sence!

4. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

If you love it there more power to you.Only i will not waste my money going to it.

5. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

Went to it the first year and i guess i gotta say it .Rat rod heaven. I do not think it has changed.

6. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

isn't that a line from that new movie "Gran Torino"? I heard it was really good..........:D

7. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

hahah...stop that bob!!! ;)
    ol gasser, your entitled to your opinion and i can see your a very unhappy feller, so i hope you feel better, and may your days be filled with happiness!!
    that better? :)

8. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

Maybe next everyone will be driveing a Gran Torino.

9. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

I am fine .I just do not trust anyone under 50. lol

10. Grrrr.. Get off my lawn! :mad:

Damn hippies....

11. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

You must watch a lot of southpark..

12. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

You weren't even close to being a member of the HAMB when the first HCPU was around. How'd you heard about it and what'd you drive there?

13. bustedlifter

bustedlifter

If you come to the Pileup ,I'll pay your way in. And I'll even pitch in some gas money for the drive. Who knows, you might dig it.

14. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Hey, Breeder. How about next year we show a movie and celebrate your birthday at HCPU? Did you see my 53 Chevy hiding behind the gold hemi-powered A? In all seriousness, I didn't think they did that bad of a job of reporting. In fact, it would seem to me that the organizers and participants should feel a bit honored to make HRM. Afterall, this is one of the most read car enthusiast rags in the WORLD. My $.02

15. donnie

donnie
    from NC

ol gasser
    If it helps I am over 50. I have gone to 4 pileups, and there are a few people that are dressed like you say but they are really in the minority. It really is a cool laid back show. It is just a bunch of people having a good time. Everyone needs to go at least once. Some cars I ignore and some I study.

16. jangleguy

jangleguy

Thanks Sam. A one-year-only (1928) Dodge Bros flathead 4, at that! Home made head, intake and all. AND these guys went to Bonneville and came home with the record! Great story, by Roger Meiners, another freelancer. Last month, they actually did a story about a goldchainmobile that couldn't get out of it's own way! There's your street cred. Did anyone notice that (HAMBer) David Feiburger is back, with a tech story in this issue? There's also a story on 60's top fuel (I'm admittedly biased about that one).

Got my copy yesterday and didn't read the HCPU story until seeing this thread. I admit, they sure could've handled it differently. But it is what it is - a general guide for the masses, that might not be as hip as everyone here. Gotta admit, there's a reason I passed that story by - looked like a lot of posing going on - but I was glad I checked it out, as there were a couple cars that I really liked.

To each their own, right? There's room for all of us here. Let's relax and enjoy it, okay? Life is too short for all this dissent. Mine is, anyway.
    See ya on the street,
    Scotty

17. magnet

magnet

We do.. We do.. how often do you get to say that something you worked on was in HR?

It does rock. And gets the word out. :)

Pray for cold and rain next year.. we might have a normal size pileup :)

18. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

I lurked on this board for a few years.Also when you have been in the auto mechanic thing for over 30 years in 4 different states you get to know a few people.

19. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

God! after reading what everyone has said so far, it sounds like I'm gunna get shot in the head for saying that I thought that the article was actually pretty damn good! Ok, I only skim read the article, but the article I read seemed to do a pretty good job of differentiating a Rat Rod from a Traditional Rod. Quite all the pissin and moanin about the term rat rod. when I got into this shit I thought that rat rod was a reference to rat fink, not that it was a piece of shit! Suck it up and thank god that our cars weren't dubbed with a name that sounds like Resto-mod.

That gold coupe is a friend of mine, and I know it very well, especially considering I had to stair at the thing for hours on end while I did a painting of it, and I got to see it next to me while I raced him at the drag strip. From what I understand, that car was built back in the day, and those aren't shit hack job zoomies on it.

And yes, Gran Torino is a good fuckin movie

20. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

The article did kinda suck.

I've been there the last two years snapping pics for the 'zine and this year I really didn't notice the 'all dressed up look' that much. But I'm not there to look at people I'm there for the cars. And damn 90% are way too cool. I can ignore 10% pretty easy. Like I said the 90% do it for me very nicely. I had to adjust my pants more than a couple of times.

21. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Ok. It does seem like the pics they take to cover these events usually suck. I don't know what that model t with the street rod looking wheels was doing in two different articles on the hcpu, it's a nice car, but it' not a good example of the coolest cars that represent the show the best. Overall, I just dont think it sucked like you guys say it did.

22. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

23. robt500

robt500
    from Lex, KY

or an ol gasser...

24. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Congrats to the Czars!!! Love the pic of Drew's car at speed. As for the terms "Rat Rod" and "Traditional", I'm sure the type of guy who could afford to own a car like on the cover could give a "Rat's Ass". Guys and Girls on the HAMB already know the difference. If you have to explain it to the rest of the world their not going to get it anyway.

25. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

Ill fess up Ive owned rat rods, traditional rods and afew gassers. Just ask Von Hartmann he'll tell you. Ive had a blast in every car I have owned and built!. Ive been to every HCPU I even worked at one. I dont give a rat ass what any one has to say! You can have a rat rod, trad rod, what ever you want its your hard earned cash. The fact of the matter is a small car show the one we all love more than christman day. Well it got ink in one of the most popular rags out there. That will never be taken away from these hard working souls. The guy's and gals that work there asses off to put this GREAT show on. Should get a Thank you from each and every one of us that are able to go. I dont realy care what that rag has too say I just want to say
    THANK EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU!

26. Hellfish

Hellfish

You went to the first Pileup... in 2002... at Marty & Sons'... and thought it was all rat rods?!? Were you at the same show I put on? Your opinion from the rest of the shows is clearly based on coverage from magazines like Ol Skool Rodz that emphazie the minority at the show.

Nevermind. I don't care what you think.

As for Hot Rod, I'm really looking forward to reading the article. Let's just say I'm intrigued. I had a subscription to HR for a year and didn't find a single article worth reading in a year. Every article was about hopping up new Mustangs, or bolting on high-end parts. Not my thing. For some reason, I started getting issues again. Things have definitely gotten better. Of both issues I've received so far, both have had several worthwhile articles in them. It seems like HR is broadening their focus and trying to appeal to more hot rodders of ALL types. They may not "get" what we do at the Pileup, but we're honored everytime a magazine features us. As the saying goes any press is good press. I just wish the reporters could get the facts straight. I'm looking forward to the Cosmopolitan article... but that may be a long wait.

27. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

So......again, which car was yours there the first year? I'm sure I've got a photo of it from that day that I could share with you.

28. Yup, I concur with Tood. :cool:

Congrats guys. Coverage is coverage and it spreads the word of one of the neatest shows in the country. The people who don't "get it" wont' be there and the rest of us will be. :D

29. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

have not seen teh article yet - but any coverage is good coverage right?

I have not heard any feedback from the Chrome Czars.......

but the 3rd Issue of Vintage Torque features coverage from the Hunnert.

in fact - it ONLY features cars, artists, car clubs, artists, pinstripers that were at the Hunnert.

And we did not just write the articles based on what we "thought" was going on.......

we actually went to the Chrome Czars and asked for their help........and help they did!

Chad aka Django was WAAAAAAY cool in helping me out and the rest of the guys gave their time and info freely. You will notice he did the Car Cover for us - and Keith Weesner did the Art side cover.

As for the term rat rod - yeah yeah yeah - it is just a way to categorize something - normal people have to have a box to put everything in......some of us prefer to look a bit around the edges and realize there is a lot more to life then just stacking up things and putting them in a row - I love early 60s Tbirds and C1-C2 Corvettes......does that mean if I take a straght axle Corvette to the Hunnert it iwll be labeled a rat rod?

or if the Hirohata Merc clone rolls in next year - that is a rat rod?

People that use the term just show their own intelligence as far as I am concerned.

Anyway - I hope that everyone in the Chicago area that comes to the World of Wheels this weekend will stop by and check out the special ALL Hunnert Car Pileup issue - we are an independent publication and we are struggling to get better! Come by and tell us what you think.

here is the cover from Weesner:
    http://www.coolstufftoys.com/images/vintagetorquecover3weesnerjaypeg.jpg

here is Chad's cover:
    http://www.coolstufftoys.com/images/vintagetorque3Bcoverchad.gif

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  30. bustedlifter

bustedlifter