Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone running any odd/interesting/cool 4 bangers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by poboyross, Jan 25, 2011.

1. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

What kind of motor is it? Looks good.

2. If I'm not mistaken, that's an Alfa- VERY nice!

3. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

The first generation Saturn S-series 1.9L. They are all aluminum and very light. I don't know of anyone running one in a hot rod, but they have been used in airplanes. The same basic engine was made in both SOHC and DOHC, and a lot of them were made. The DOHC head is better and didn't tend to crack like the earlier SOHC heads. 99 and later engines had a few improvements over the earlier ones. The stock DOHC had 120+ hp, and street cars tolerate some increased power or turbocharging without reliability issues. Not the best optuion for a heavy car, but the engine's light weigh would make a difference in a light car.

4. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

The Alfa is a good engine and is very light. Before EFI at least some on the ones that didn't have mechanical fuel injection had two side-draft two barrel carbs.

5. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Here's a B motor with a rare Stromberg-Bendix single throat down draft manifold and an original CRAGAR head. Just finished a Courier/Mazda 1.8 SOHC engine with a Crower Cam and a pair of Weber 40 DCOE carbs that will power my '29 Ford Huckster

Attached Files:

6. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

there's some cool stuff in here!..... never have understood the appeal of the quad 4's.... junk in my eyes.... but then again I have to work on the wasted ones...

Weasel, your engines look SWEET!, love the little Willys banger, is that the same engine they used in the earlier Whippets? or did they change it?, the Alfa is pretty cool too...

Fat Ass Whitewalls, that Pinto banger looks great!!

no pics from me, I do have a couple old Willys Whippet bangers stuffed in the shed though..

7. My 1930 Model A Ford with A block 327 chevy head cut in half and welded, SU side drafts, 1955 plymouth trans, 1946 Ford rear axle. I built this at age 21, the local parts store machine shop machinist laughed at me when I came in looking for parts until a year later I drive it in the back up to his door and said remember me! He just walked around the car and shook his head saying I can't believe it!!
    Run like a turpentine cat till the bearings started to pound out and the oil pressure dropped.

Bill S

Attached Files:

8. I am looking for carb kits to rebuild the SU carbs on my OHV convertion these were off a 1962 Volvo 1600 and they have hydraulic dampeners or oil dampeners. If any of you guys out there know of a source please email me at [email protected]

www.stipemachine.com

9. Here's a 2.3 Ford ...outta '83 Turbocoupe...I used the T3 Garrett/T5 BW/EFI...not traditional, but a really strong little motor
    Stan

Attached Files:

10. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I love the 1.9 in my '97 SL2. Always thought it would make a great engine for a small rod. Probably some strange bellhousing pattern though?

11. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

1937 Willys with a Hickey head and Latham supercharger in a 31 Ford roadster.

Attached Files:

elgringo71 likes this.