Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone running a 6L80??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wild Turkey, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

(searched and no recent threads) (I've got two aftermarket-knees that aren't clutch friendly so let's not go there:()

Just wondering how this transmission is shaping up -- I want to put it behind an engine with lots of torque and a narrow powerband.

Any problems with it???

2. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

It shifts really wierd. It shifts up and down alot. I have found it to be a big PITA when driving in the mtn regions. IMO, I would use the 4L80E. Alot more steady of a trans for cruising.

3. JD Miller

JD Miller

could be a bad TPS

4. olkarz

olkarz

The Avalanche's with the LS6 and the Corvette/Camaros with the LS3s uses them...so that depends on how much torque your motor has??? It's rated by GM @ 430ft/lbs of engine torque...which is great for those of us who don't have blown big blocks or engines built for drag racing.

5. JEM

JEM

Bear in mind that with both these transmissions how they behave is primarily a function of whoever sets up the calibration in the electronics.

One of my primary gripes with late-model electronically-controlled transmissions in US-market production vehicles is that they're often calibrated to resist downshifting in order to ensure the car stays in as high a gear as possible in the EPA's CAFE mileage-dyno testing.

I *want* the transmission to downshift cleanly and quickly when I push my foot down, I don't want it to force me to stomp the pedal through the floor.

6. JEM

JEM

Well, the CTS-V does a fair bit better than that but it gets the 6L90 flavor...

7. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

It better not be! Its a brand new truck! I rather drive my 06.

8. Weasel

Weasel

Kinda O/T for the HAMB isn't it? Having said that I have a 6L80 in my 2011 truck. It does indeed shift up and down a lot and quite frankly I find it a PITA. I much prefer the 4L80 in my last truck. As far as converting it for use in a non original application I have only found one company that deals with it for standalone use: Speartech in Indiana - www.speartech.com so if you really must. As for me I'm sticking with my trusty traditional;) 700 R4 and 200 4R....