Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Anyone reworked 1955 F100 wheel arches?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adamshumard, Dec 12, 2013.

1. adamshumard

adamshumard

I'm looking at picking up an f100. I love the overall shape of the truck, but have always hated the wheel openings. Has anyone reworked them or changed them out entirely from another model? If so lets see some pictures.

Thanks.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. adamshumard

adamshumard

No one?

3. 1955IHC

1955IHC

I believe it was Custom Classic Trucks that an article years ago about moving them forward a bit. It makes the truck look so much better. Kinda like a beautiful woman with a nose that's just to big. You can over look it but a little work goes a long way.:D

Sent via Illinois Bell Telephone Company's Car Radiotelephone

4. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

It was popular to use Chevy rear fenders on the Ford PUs, as well.

5. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

If you move the front wheel arch forward (which I've done), you need to move the front axle as well. In stock configuration the axle is already 1 1/4" too far to the rear-relative to the center of the wheel arch. I moved the opening 3" and the axle 4 1/4". Looks much better.

However, I think the OP just doesn't like the shape of the openings. The only response I can make to that is: find a car that has what you like and do a cut and splice. It might get a bit hairy given the rounded shape of the F-100 fenders and the typically slabsided shape of most cars from the early '50s on.

6. I've been into F-100's since the 60's. Owned many still have one and modifyed every one of them. Like Fairfax says and I also have moved them forward. I can say I can't remember seeing a total change of the lip. WoW!! You may be the first in a long time to be the First to do something no one else has ever done. That don't happen often these days. Think long and hard about it first, there may be a reason for it. Yes I have seen G.M. rear fenders on them,,, They Stink. If that's what you want build a Chevy. Change for the sake of Change don't often yield a good result.
    The Wizzard

7. adamshumard

adamshumard

Any before and after shots of the moved openings?

8. 1955IHC

1955IHC

Attached Files:

9. Personally, I think that truck in the article looks worse than stock. Like they went too far forward....
    If I was going to all of that work I would change the opening to something that flowed more.....like maybe 52-54 Ford car?

10. I've always thought that the shape of the wheel well opening is part of the styling that makes the Effies so popular - you just need to get the front tires centered in that opening ;)

11. designs that work

designs that work

I owned a 1954 F-100 in the mid to late 60's when they were VERY popular, seems like every chrome or muffler shop had one and they were not left stock. Not one of the trucks from this area, nor the ones in Whittier, Ca. or the ones that I saw in Kansas had the fenders modified like you want to. Good luck.

12. adamshumard

adamshumard

I really dislike the rear fenders more than the front. I just figured if you change the rear you should do the front to match.

13. I agree with you in that if you change one end you should change the other to match. What I don't get is if you dislike the lines so much why are you building one to start with? Maybe you should be building a different brand.
    The Wizzard

14. uncle buck

uncle buck

these wre moved forward in the front on this 4 wheel drive '55

Attached Files:

15. willymakeit

willymakeit

This

16. willymakeit

willymakeit

I centered my front axle. Still a work in progress.

17. A Rodder

A Rodder

Any other pics showing moving the wheel base AND fender opening further forward?