Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone regret shiny painted dashes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davidh73750, Mar 3, 2014.

1. davidh73750

davidh73750

Getting ready to paint a dash and subject came up about shiny dashes + big glass equal unwanted glare. The dash in question is a 58 Chevy . Is this the reason for flatter colors on metal from factory? I also noticed the 55 amsoil chevy had top part of dash flat and bottom part shiny I'm assuming for this reason. Just want to hear others take on this

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. fsae0607

fsae0607

Makes sense to use flat paint on the dash.

3. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Yep, this was a big issue back in the day. Ralph Nader wrote about it in Unsafe At Any Speed. Eventually the auto manufacturers went to un-shiny dashes, and padded too. The rest is history.

4. There's a reason that airplanes have that flat//anti-glare paint in front of their cockpits :D

5. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Did mine in black wrinkle.

6. I'm probably going just the opposite of logical thinking (as usual)....hi-gloss metalflake inside and satin single stage outside on my 46 Chevy pickup!

Just to be different, I guess!

7. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Nope!! To me, low gloss dashes look like they need to be buffed out. High gloss all the way!!

8. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

Gloss black in the Comet. No glare problems or I'd tell ya.

[​IMG]

-KK

9. henry29

henry29

I've had several cars with painted dashes, I've never had a problem with glare.

10. I had a 48 Studebaker pick-up with a chrome spoked steering wheel. That son of a bitch drove me crazy, until I bought a roll of black electrical tape and covered the chrome! I won't have any gloss paint or chrome in the interior of any of my cars, period. All it takes is one flash, (distraction) at the wrong time and you'll be explaining in court why you didn't see the plainiffs car.

11. david j smith

david j smith

59 Fords, several through the years, all shiny dashes. It should shine like a diamond on a goats ass.

12. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

..when my 56 was in its previous incarnation the dash was heavy silver metalflake,,it could be an issue,,but that's really the only time I can think of a painted dash bothered me...but even then it wasn't that big of a deal..

13. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

In my experiences, Shiny paint, no problem. Mostly all chrome, a big problem.

14. squirrel

squirrel

I was going to try to get the original finish on the dash on my 57 chevy truck, but instead I painted it shiny the original color. It was originally textured, non glossy charcoal.

I get more glare off the hood....

15. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Ive done a few. I personally like the glossy dash... But dont do what I do on a few cars... Dont polish the top of the steering column... Its aluminium and it looks great... It catches the sun just right to get you in the eye...

Attached Files:

16. The reflection in the windshield drives me nuts! ALL my 'keepers' get flat clear or uncleared basecoat on the top surface of the dash ;)

17. This is the dash in my Roadster. Most of the time I have the top on so shinny and chrome is not a problem. But a few years ago coming back from LARS I had the to off and it was a beautiful day driving home. The next morning as I was shaving I noticed that I had a sunburn line across the center of my forehead. I had my ball cap on when I came home. The dash reflected the sun back at me and gave me a sunburn under my ballcap!!!

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac277/FuzzyKnight28/018.jpg

18. I had a gloss white dash in my roadster,I loved the look but when the sun was bright behind my back it blinded me. HRP

19. catfishdog

catfishdog
    from Miami

Polarized sun glasses should help the glare

20. i painted the dash shiny on my wife's off topic mustang, the glare was so bad she kept a towel on the dash.

21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Agree, semi-gloss or satin (paint or upholstery) works best. And a lot of chrome is really, really bad. I plan to recess the gauges on my A coupe 3-4" deep or make an arched visor / pad over them to keep everything in the shade for easy reading in the day. Gary

22. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I have had both, I like a shiny dash if it is black, but semi gloss or flat if the color matches the interior color (most interior colors are semi or flat in color.) weren't they shiny from the factory in the 50s and early 60s.. so it is preference

23. Had a gloss dash on my '53 Plymouth. Glare drove me crazy. So I flat cleared it. Doesn't look as nice but my eyeballs appreciate it.

24. I have a shiny dash in my car and it has never bothered me-The dash is really rounded though. I just like the gloss look.

25. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Nope. Shiny, but it doesn't bother me at all.
    (Sandblasted windshield has since been replaced)

[​IMG]

26. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

My dash is shiny and has lots of flake, during the day the glare can be annoying if it catches the right spot. At night the street lights reflect off the dash and its pretty damn cool.

27. Beelzebug

Beelzebug

My pickup has a glossy candy tangerine scheme going-- never had an issue.

You could always just let it get dusty, haha. Best of both worlds.

28. All mine have been shiney for the past 35-40 years, no problems going down the road.

29. I had a shiny dash in my '56 customline and to make it more blinding, I chromed the shit out of all the garnish mouldings as well- bling it on!:eek:

30. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Shiny paint, and shiny dashes on all my cars. no problem. And I put LOTS of miles on them!