Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Anyone recognize these bumpers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atch, Aug 5, 2018.

1. atch

atch

A friend recently inherited a 1940 Chevrolet coupe. He didn't even know what one looked like until he went to get it. After getting it home he started scoping out what he wanted to do with it. He came up with these pix. He's liking the bumpers on this car but doesn't know what they are. He asked me but I don't know either. My best guess is something aftermarket but I'm absolutely certain that someone on here will know and fill me in; probably within 10-15 minutes. So, what about it? What are they?

Please ignore/disregard the wheels, tires, and headlights. Such items are NOT in his future.

40 chevy 01.png 40 chevy 02.png

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm thinking modified 46/48 Chevy bumpers. They could possibly be 41 or 42 but I think that defined line across them makes them the later ones.
    Both have been shaved and had the bolt holes welded and filled and the rear has been cut out as you see it. Add to that some reshaping and tucking them in closer to the fenders.

3. atch

atch

Thanx. 18 minutes; about what I expected. I knew someone on here would have the answer.

4. BJR

BJR

Are they upside down?

5. squirrel

squirrel

nothing about the car in the renders is "real", so why would you expect the bumpers to actually exist?

:)

Chili Phil likes this.
  6. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

They do remind me of inverted Task Force bumpers though.

7. squirrel

squirrel

they remind me a lot more of 39 ford bumpers

39 ford.jpg

[​IMG]

51 BIRD likes this.
  8. oldolds

oldolds

If somebody would do an image search it might lead back to the original rendering of the pic. That might have some info on the artists idea of what he used to make it.

9. atch

atch

Silly me. I just thought this was one of those foo foo pix of a real car. I never considered that it was only a computer generated image.

10. squirrel

squirrel

11. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. they look like modified Chevy bumpers of the period. I was browsing thru both the Chevs of the 40's as well as the Filling Station catalogs about a week ago looking for a rear bumper for my 46 Coupe and one of them had year correct bumpers for that period in Stainless steel without mounting holes & mounting studs were welded on the back side. That is a possibility.
    Jimmie

12. squirrel

squirrel

They're probably just 41 Chevy bumpers, actually :)

41_Chev.jpg

13. Says in the description of the car that squirrel posted that they are '46 Ford flipped upside down.

Squablow likes this.
  14. squirrel

squirrel

i'm glad someone went to the trouble to read it...I didn't...

15. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

I have the same bumpers, stock 48, welded mounting holes and painted black. Can't afford chrome lol. 078.jpg and mounted right side up.