Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone rebuild starters in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nschrec, Oct 21, 2008.

1. nschrec

nschrec
    from St. Paul

I need a starter rebuilt for a 259 studebaker engine. Just want to know if there is anyone in the St. Paul/ Minneapolis or Mankato area that rebuilds them or knows where I can get parts to do it myself. thanks

2. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

At Snelling and Marshall there use to be Scaleene ( I'm not sure of the spelling ) they always did a great job for me when I lived in that area.
    Johns Auto in Rogers, Mn does great work also.

Jim H

3. 54stude

54stude

I recommend "generator specialty" in downtown st paul near mickeys diner. He will sell parts, or do it for you. He is open early, and has been there since like 1918 or so. Keep minnesota green, bring cash (he does not take credit).

4. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Another place to try is Walin Electric, 110 E. Lake St. in Minneapolis. They're just a couple blocks east of I-35, by the K-Mart. (612) 824-2266 They've been there forever, the back room looks like a starter museum. :)

5. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I get all my stuff done at G&R rebuilders. Good quality work, and they handle the old stuff no problem. There on Prior ave, just south of University, north of I94 in St. Paul.

6. Rusty Kustoms

Rusty Kustoms

G&R has done alot of work for me in the past and my dad went there in the 70's and 80's, by far top notch and fair priced, that said, I have also heard good things about Generator Specialty

7. Joe G

Joe G
    from Minnesota

I have all my starters and generators rebuilt at Brighton Auto Electric in New Brighton. The guy that runs the place (Len) is eighty something and has been rebuilding starters like yours since they were new. I've been dealing with these guys for 15 years and have never had a problem with them. The service is fast and the price is right. I would never consider going anywhere else.

8. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

What a great time for me to discover this post. The starter just puked on my flathead and my good friend just had the starter go in his '41 Plymouth.

I was at Little Dearborn yesterday. They had a sign with a phone number for "Walter's". I'd heard of them before but never used them. I think they're in Saint Paul and may be one of them that one of the guys above recommended.

The shop Jalopy Jim is referring to is a couple of blocks away from my work. It's Scheleen Gray. We've farmed out a couple of electrical repairs to them but I've never used them for any rebuilding.

At our shop we typically use B & M near downtown Minneapolis. They are great for newer stuff but I've never used them for anything older so I'm leary to recommend them.

It might also be worth checking out who advertise in the Linechaser. Ijust looked in the 'yearbook'. Generator Specialty advertises in there- 651-222-7692.

Good luck.
    Jay

9. nschrec, The best place to go is Walters, its a lil hole in the wall at 507 University Ave. (651)224-2287 This place can do it all, took my beat-up harley starter there, when I got it back, could NOT believe it was the same starter I droped off. fantastic work with next day turnaround. Good luck,knuck

10. lots of good places to go. write down the numbers,start calling to see who i familiar with your starter with the most reasonable price. isn't their a local studebaker chapter (club) close to you? might be worth checking as they would know who can do it correctly the first time.

11. ClassicChrysler

ClassicChrysler
    from Minnesota

Johns Auto Electric located in Rogers, MN
    763-428-2632

We rebuild all types of old stuff! :D

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009