Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone Pinstriping at Billetproof WA?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 37hotrod, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Is anyone planning on striping at the Billetproof show in Washington? I will (hopefully) have the scallops painted on the '35 in time for the show, and was hoping to get them striped / outlined while at the show. Let me know, and hopefully we can get something set up ahead of time.

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Before you ask any striper to do your work follow him or her around for a while and watch them do some other jobs. Not every striper is a Von Dutch or a Skratch, I have (very recently) seen some striping work done at a car show that a 5 year old with a magic marker could have done better.

We were lucky enough to catch Skratch to do 2 of our cars and it spoiled us because the guy is just so damn good. Not trying to say you didn't know what I said already, but for every 1 good striper there are 10 who are just so so.

Don

3. You're right. I have seen some horribly botched striping jobs. This job isn't that difficult. I just need some straight lines pulled to outline the scallops. And really, we're talking about rattle can scallops over primer. Really just want to see how the design works, and since it is going to be a while before I do real paint, I thought I might as well dress up the boring primer job. I would attempt it myself, but I have trouble drawing a straight line with a ruler!

4. Sixty-two

Sixty-two

I would think Spiderman might be there - he's based in PDX, but Chehalis isn't that far.

He did my '62 Impala. Hope this helps - great guy, too.

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Might be a moot point from the weather report for Saturday!

6. I saw that same weather report. Hopefully no one uses water colors to do pinstriping! :)

7. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Bob Davidson is up there man. I'd have him do it, here he's doing my dads truck:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I bought a striper many moons ago.
    In the instruction manual it says there are only 4 or 5 moves. Getting the lines even and mrror exact is the thing. These guys and gals amaze me. I work with a guy named Art, but thats as close as I get to art.

9. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Bob Davidson is good

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bob does great work but he may not be doing any striping work at the show. Personally I think I'd rather take the car to the striper and turn him/her loose without any distractions or dust or other stuff that goes on at car shows. "there it is, Here's what I would like to have done, here's my cell number, call me when you get it done".

11. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

^ Yeah I wouldn't expect he could do it at the show, but would be worth a trip to have it done. Plus you get to meet a pretty cool dude.

12. When the time comes t ostripe the shiny paint, I will find the right guy and just turn him loose on the car. I believe that the car should tell the striper what it wants, and the striper needs to be able to hear the car talking. That time is not now. For now, I just need some straight lines pulled around the scallops. A good striper could probably do it in his sleep.

13. Maybe Wolff or Brian will be there. Dunno. Long lines are tough. better done in a shop than at a show. (for me anyway :))

14. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I usually take my striping kit with me and do some cars....wagons...baby carriages, kanes...etc...while at the show...
    But this year I don't plan on taking my stuff.....I'm always so busy striping that I miss the show....

15. A Rodder

A Rodder

I believe it was last year that davidson took an award for his blue custom mid fifties custom.
    That guy is a nice guy and top notch.
    one of my old car buddies sold him a car back in the day.

Pm elrobbo here on the hamb. He is rarely on here. If you want pm me an ill shoot you his number. He did a great job on my old tudor and was reasonable. He generally doesn't go to stripe, but you neclver know, if it covers his motel and a dinner he may be swayed. He is from battle ground.

16. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

ill be there but im only going to stripe my own shit because im always worried ill fuck up lol

17. I had Bob Davidson stripe an OT car I had years ago, he does nice work. He was there last year striping.

18. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

I have a beugler, i want a grand per car or i just wont do it

19. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

[​IMG] I'll be there with all my crap!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  20. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Didn't realise the pinstripers were setup inside. Thought the small vendors had all the inside spaces.