Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone On Here Able to Make Custom Water Transfer Decals?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tony Bones, Apr 16, 2008.

1. I have a custom decal I'd like to have a sheet of made, but I'd prefer if the end product is a water transfer, ala' old Ed Roth decals. Anyone able to help me out?
    Thanks.

2. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

check tech section. I think there is a tech thread in there on that if I recall.

3. Thirtycoup

Thirtycoup

4. Muttley

Muttley

I dont know anything about making them, all the decals I have are NOS.

5. Thirtycoup

Thirtycoup

my bad - sorry about that, mike

6. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Whizzerick did a tech on it
    check out the tech archives

7. NoSurf

NoSurf

8. Not to steal the thread, but how about to make gauge faces?

9. 31hotrodsedan man

31hotrodsedan man

how big are you looking to go? cause if its model size they make sheets that you can run through your printer. spray a little fixative on and go for it. i know they have white, clear, and i have seen some metallic pages. ive had the best luck finding them in model train shops, but i would think many hobby shops would have them

10. the ones i had made for my 36' plymouth were done in the early 90's using a process called "offset reprographics". if the guy you are dealing with is honest when you ask him "how much for one?" he will reply "same as 12!":D:D sell the extras to pay for yours. these days they probably use scanners so shop around. post your results.

11. timmy t

timmy t

like 31hotrodsedanman said hit your local hobby shop they should have decal sheets.all you do is scan your image and print. if you know anybody with an alps printer they work the best. The only problem is that alps printer arent produced anymore.

12. Thanks guys, I'll look around and see if Reprographics is still going. It'd be a fun project to take on myself, but time is something I have less and less of these days and I'd rather spend it on working on something I'm really interested in.

The responsibilities of being a grown-up seem to directly relate to having little hobby time.

Fucked

13. raceratrod

raceratrod

Spray clear over a printed page of what you want to transfer , soak it in warm water untill the paper disolves use a little elmers glue in water to make the transfer stick .You can respray with clear if its on a metal panel to protect it.

p.s. the ink will transfer to the clear paint film which will be like a decal

14. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

If you are going to use the decals outdoors or where they will be exposed to sunight, you should use ink intended for outdoor use or they won't last long.