Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anyone near to the WV Eastern Panhandle. WV, VA, PA, MD ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wex65, Jan 21, 2015.

1. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Couple of months from now and I will be the proud owner of a bitching car. Then, Bob Hilton and Tony Lombardi over at Ross Racing Engine can have the restraining orders against me lifted.

Got me thinking...anyone else with a HAMB friendly ride in this area?

The local Friday meet consists of 90% non HAMB cars and the crowd (and to be honest, other owners) just don't get the traditional thing. Took my roadster there last year and heard it called a variety of terms, none I was happy about.

So, I am near to Martinsburg, WV. Only 20 mins from the VA, PA and MD state lines. Who, or what clubs, are near??

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. There are a couple of street rod clubs in northern VA (Northern VA Rods & Classics and Bull Run Street Rods), but no "traditional" hot rod clubs.
    There are a few of us hairy-legged diehards; I'm in Fairfax, VA and HAMBer OJ owns Clarke Co Speedshop up in Berryville (just west of Leesburg, VA). The VA HAMB social group is pretty active, but most members are farther south.

FWIW, Bob Hilton gave us a garage tour/sneak-peak of Miss Chevious when he brought it back from the upholstery shop last winter. Your project is in VERY good hands. :)

wex65 likes this.
  3. My step-daughter and her family live in Martinsburg, but unfortunately they aren't "car people". I usually get there once a year and haven't really seen many hot rods during my visits with them over the years. Sadly, we seem the have the same lack of traditional iron here in the western part of WV. Any given local cruise-in will have the lot full of new Corvettes, Camaros, Mustangs and Challengers and only a handfull of cool cars.

Jim

4. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

The cruise in at jimmy cone in Mt airy on the other side of Frederick md from you can have a few traditional cars there.

5. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Don't forget jalopyshowdown in the spring in pa might not be to bad of a ride for you

6. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Localy ,, Around the area's you mention , I do not know of any places that Real Hot Rod's
    Gather any more in Number's , (Tradional Jalopy's) , up in Pa,, wants a year up 15 north @ a old horse track (3/8 track ?) a good turn out of Tradional Jalopy's . Around 20 mile or so south of Carlisle Pa.
    About 1 hr or so East of you in Manassas Va @ a BurgerKing @ the Manassas airport ,
    On Saturday nights around 75 -150 cars gather , a mix of a lot of cars , the owner of BK is a member of the Bull Run Street Rod club , they meet there year round ,
    winter time a hand full of the member hang out ,
    May threw Oct . Larg crowds,,
    Down 81 south in Stevencity Va ,there is a Old Drive in movies , there a hang out !
    The Karb Kings are a Club out of Md ( Baltimore ?)

wex65 likes this.
  7. xracer40

xracer40

8. That's a tough one, wex65. Sadly,to have a cruise-in of strictly traditional hot rods would probably generate a turn-out of about 4 or 5 cars. I'm sure you will be spending time with the Hiltons once the warmer months arrive. Beyond that all you can do is seek out the like minded folks at the few events that will have some pretty cool traditional (and traditionally styled rides). Larry Garland's Jalopy Showdown in May, Va. Karb Kings show in Fredericksburg, Karb Kings of Md. Mobtown Greaseball in Sept., The Jalopyrama in Annapolis, Md. in Oct. and of course the Rodder's Journal Revival (#4) in Baltimore are the places to be to find these people and cars. And, I can't wait to see your "A" in person once it's completed....Hint, hint...I would be willing to drive out to The Plains just to get a chance to see the car and the Hilton's shop.:D....Don.

wex65 likes this.
  9. wex65

wex65
    from WV

MANY thanks to all for the input. The coupe will be traveling to a bunch of shows this year. As far north as Canada for the Jalopy Jamup and as far south as the Roundup in Austin. Also going to the Jalopy Showdown, TRJ revival in Pimlico, a couple of Good Guys events, Syracuse Nationals, Jalopyrama and a few I cant think of right now.

Was more trying to find a local regular event larges than the Charles Town one but realize a drive to Frederick/Leesburg/Winchester or farther is probably needed.

Yes, I know tuki in Martinsburg. Will be meeting him in the next week or two on a different matter.

I will check out the couple of cruises mentioned. The Mt Airy and Manassas ones sound interesting.

Don, Bob's place is certainly a great place to see superb hot rods come together. Just make sure you bring a dog treat for Ben Hilton, his helper.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. Hellfish

Hellfish

My in-laws are in Hagerstown and I'm out there a few times a year, but I only drove my '59 out there once

11. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

The Vintage Tin of Western Pa. has a traditional rod run May 17,2015 near Heidelberg Pa.(Pittsburgh). We had a pre 48 only for years . But the weather did us in many times. So after considerable debate we increased it to pre 72 only. We get over 100 cars when the weather is good. most are pre 48. The event takes place at Scott Township park. Off of Rt. 50, You turn up the hill near Woltz and Wind Ford that is the old site of Heidelburg Race track.

Ago

12. kngfisher

kngfisher
    from Virginia

Wow that's for posting that. Live in the Tyson's corner area myself and was wondering where to go of find like minded folks. Friends and I tend to bring our rides to cars and coffee in great falls on occasions. Pretty funny seeing t-bucket, deuce coupe, and a few others mixed in with high dollar Ferraris, Bugattis and the occasional gt40.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. 54sled

54sled

I'm in Leechburg pa,near Pittsburgh,never miss the steeltown shakedown in September at the twin hi way drive in!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Well...give me (well to be more accurate Bob Hilton) a couple of months until the coupe is finished and I will throw up a thread and see if we cant get a few cars together somewhere near here. If you are interested shout in here and I will use this thread to make contact. Rod, custom, whatever.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  15. Jibs

Jibs

16. Wex... Two car clubs in Winchester area... Yesterday Cruisers and Valley Cuisers. They alternate weekend shows starting in March and ending in October.

Couple of local car shows... Apple Blossom Festival in May and Days of Thunder in Purcellville in July.

You're always welcome to stop in and hangout with my brother an I. Our coupe will be out of the paint booth this spring, and assembly starts.

Drop me a PM

17. bigjoeb

bigjoeb

behind valley mall at jc pennys end classic car group for children hold a cruise -in every sat nite from 2nd week of april to oct usually draw 150 to as many as 350 cars a week some newer corvettes and muscle cars but a good share of street rods and traditional rods too not far from you I know travis and bucky and they could fill you in lots of pics on classic car group for children facebook page

18. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

There are some off is down here in the valley. Near Harrisonburg