Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone make their own door skins?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by justheman, Jun 6, 2009.

1. justheman

justheman

I am getting read to fabricate some door skins for my 29 model A RPU and was wondering if anyone has done anything similar and might have some tips.

2. Homemade44

Homemade44

Both site mentions by Uncle Johnny have a lot of experienced metal shapers that can help you. What tools and experience do you have when it comes to metal shaping. Pictures of your project would also be helpful.

3. zzford

zzford

Oh, I thought you said "fore" skins. Sorry.

4. justheman

justheman

5. tomkat

tomkat
    from new jersey

ive made a few. i also am a member of metalmeet . com. you can use a hammer and a piece of rail road track or a piece of flat steel to give your pannel its low crown. you draw a pattern of squares and hit the pannel with a low crown hammer to make a uniform low crown. dont hit very hard or you will mark the pannel. to make your hems you can use a blunt chisel and hammer to tip your edge. you get a log and use the end grain as your base. hold your pannel in between. after you establish a tipped line you use your rail road track or dolly and hammer and slowly work your hem over 90 degrees. that is the low tech method. to make any beads you use a piece of bar stock the width of the bead you need and clamp your skin on top of the bar stock. you use a hammer and flat chisel and hit around the edges of the bar stock to create your bead. be prepaired to spend lots of time getting where you want to go. if you have access to a english wheel or plannish hammer and a tipping wheel you can use them to quicken the process. dont hit very hard. try a small replica of your skin to practice the technics mentioned. the technics listed are explained in detail on metalmeet.com. they also have guys who really know their stuff who love to share their knowledge. also their are lots of videos out their. you can rent one at smartflixs. i just bought one from a guy out of england who has an excellent one that teaches the low tech technics that produce detailed pannels. its amazing how simple he makes it look. his name is david gardner. check out his video "bodywork restoration tutorial". its pricey 65 us but its the best ive seen so far. good luck tom

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  6. tomkat

tomkat
    from new jersey

sorry i forgot. the easiest thing to do is get dutch comstock to build you one. i bet he has your door sitting in his barn. he could reproduce your skin in a few hours. look him up on the net. tom

7. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.