Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone make a mechanical clutch pedal kit?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bent, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Bent

Bent
    from Canada

Got a friend looking to put a mechanical clutch pedal set up in a TCI 32 frame orginally set up for SBC w/TH350.
    TCI makes a hydraulic setup but this guy wants mechanical.

Any leads would be appreciated.

Thanks!

MB

2. deucegasser

deucegasser

Why does he want mechanical? Speedway Motors sells both a pull or push slave cyl and the master cyl. for the system. Add pedal rod and hydraulic line and you're there.
    Maybe I'm oversimplifying it. Got the same system on my roadster with a "49 3 speed.
    Pedal location and room for linkage may allow for mechanical.

3. Bent

Bent
    from Canada

Believe me, he's driving me nuts. To date, I can't convince him to go hydraulic. I'll keep working on him but until then, any mech. kit suggestions would be welcome.

4. 6inarow

6inarow

just help him out and tell him that the H.A.M.B said there are no mechanical units available. then ask which hydraulic he prefers "A" or "B"?

problem solved

5. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I like both mechanical and hydraulic, I converted the mechanical on my pickup to hydraulic. Now, I'm contemplating converting it back to mechanical. The downside is making a mechanical setup is probably ten times the work.......................
    If this is a paying customer, I would write a second work order. "Have an engineer design and provide a blueprint for a mechanical clutch linkage to replace the hydraulic." Ask him to sign it. No doubt there are plenty of guys, like me, that could do it if tasked to do so.

6. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I made a mechanical setup for my 39 using the original petals with the tab on the cross shaft reversed, and a bellcrank on the block. It was a lot of work and I would not do it again.
    If anyone wants to do it I suggest making a full size drawing in order to determine the pivit points and lengths of the rods and arms.
    No I do not do pictures and can not post any at this time sorry.

7. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

I know its not a TCI frame but in the feb 07 issue of rod & custom there is an article on "how to detail a 32 chassis" and has a couple pics of a mechanical set up you could probably get some ideas from at least.The frame in the article is an original.

8. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

WHAT!! whats with all the negative of having a Mechanical Clutch ???
    and whats so hard about setting one up ?? Thats like teenage gearhead stuff

9. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I agree Little Wing; If I can do it..........................

I think that Bent will realize as this thread progressis that it's really a matter of "he don't want to" rather than "he can't". It's merely a matter of installing the clutch, throwout, and arm in the bell, mounting the motor and fabbing a linkage. If design/drawing skills are lacking, reverse engineer it.:D Just tell the customer it's gonna cost him.

10. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

Attached Files:

11. hoof22

hoof22
    Member Emeritus

I'm having the same discussion with myself with my A, (talk to myself a lot these days...) I did see a neat setup on here somehweres that was using a cable from a later model Mustang, I think?? It eliminated all the "will it fit, where are the best pivot points, and what's the ratio" stuff, and looked neat and tidy in place...just a heavy duty black cable in a "U" shape...might do a search and have a look...good luck!

EW

12. HOT ROD BILL

HOT ROD BILL

Any of the 55-59 chevys are easy to modify but I don't know if the tri5 supply guys have new stuff.

13. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

I think my pedals are from chassis engineering .I just used factory rods and modified z bar from a 60's chevy truck.

14. Spity

Spity

I think alot of folks see having a mechanical linkage clutch as less shit to break in the long run. But as with everything else it will wear out and need new bushings and parts over time. Also for some guys having an extra resevoir sitting on the firewall is unsightly.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd think that he didn't want to spend the time making a mechanical linkage work right. A lot of us have done it in the past and it is never what I would consider to be fun.

I like the looks of that bellcrank setup that bobby_socks posted and it looks like if a person had the room that it would be doable.

A cable setup would work too and if a guy could get a shop to make up a cable that actually fit it would work that much better.

16. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Vegas are good to Pirate for those,,maybe Chevettes as well

RLAMB likes this.
  17. KENDEUCE

KENDEUCE

I had a clutch setup similar to fastlane but ended up with a clutch chatter problem. I noticed motor was moving forward and backward when pushing clutch in. Solved it by tying the rear crossmember and trans together with a bar made of two heim joints laying it parallel with crankshaft centerline. Worked for me.

18. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

There is a mustang cable that a lot of the aftermarket setups are going to be using shortly. So-Cal has a mechanical setup available through them.

Frank

19. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

What you did is esentially what Henry Ford did when he put "anti-chatter" rods between the bellhousing and frame of his V8 Fords.

Frank

20. I used the pedal assembly from late 40's truck. Used the bell crank and linkage. Replaced the MC with a dual outlet one (Speeday) and had to fab up a mounting bracket for it to fit my '32 frame. It helped that I am using the flattie and its bell housing too which pretty much just lined up. Started to use the entire crossmember that came with the pedals but I used a T5 tranny so just fabbed up a crossmember.

21. KENDEUCE

KENDEUCE

You know the old saying KISS. Henry was one smart fella.

22. Andy

Andy

A friend built some stuff I drew up for him. He had it all lazer cut. He has an extra set. PM me if interested and I will set you up. It is simular to the post with the bell crank but I used a bar.

23. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

So-Cal did make what looks like a good setup,I saw one used on a 32 chassis.

24. 4ever18

4ever18

Eddie's Rod Shop built and installed this setup in my brother's '30 Model A Coupe.

Attached Files:

25. BillM

BillM
    Member Emeritus

My linkage with a rear mounted bell crank. Not a kit; built from scratch.

Attached Files:

26. my friend (Some Guy) has mech in his A bought from S.A.C in orange, ca.

27. solid

solid

Check out one of the bass builds on here. He used a slave cylinder and a cool dual master. I think it looks right, and you can put the time spent on the mechanical setup somewhere else. Just my opinion.

28. Bent

Bent
    from Canada

29. This looks nice Bill. Did you fab the bellcrank too?