Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone made their own Friction shocks?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greasemonkey060, Jul 13, 2007.

1. greasemonkey060

greasemonkey060

Seems simple enough, right? But what did you use as the bushing for the torsional flex? Anything I should look out for before I hurt myself?

Thanks.

2. NostalgiaT

NostalgiaT

Have know guys that have used old conveyor belts actually the little friction pads total sells work fairly well. I have mine set up frame Teflon washer friction shock teflon washer metal washer bolt. the key is 65-75 ft pounds seems to work best with them. If you have some teflon spring liner you can use that also. The biggest thing is to make sure your tires are balanced well.

3. bob hindman

bob hindman

4. Moonglow

Moonglow

5. I made these outta 1/2" aluminum ,a heavy gauge flat wound coil spring,coupla rod-ends,using teflon discs...sorta stole the idea of incorporating the H/L mount from a Zipper lakes mod

Attached Files:

• 23.JPG
      23.JPG
      File size:
      89 KB
      Views:
  6. lakesmod

lakesmod

3/16 mild steel,BBC valve spring,conveyer belt.

Attached Files:

7. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

As mentioned, Zipper makes some pretty nice ones. I think he uses brake lining material as the friction surface.

8. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I made some a while ago and used clutch material, Worked ok.

Steve.

9. We made these http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1091168842049181497JNVGav The materiel is from a machine brake. I started with locknuts but they won't hold so now I have castle nuts and cotter keys. I am now using 500 lb bellvue springs face to face. But the problem was the tire balance. The tires and wheels were balanced when we first put them on and then after a while, 2 or 3 years it started to bounce and I reworked everything and finally had them rebalanced and the bounce went away

10. greasemonkey060

greasemonkey060

Saweet. Thanks guys. I've been planning on using 3/16 and have them all marked out I just need to cut them. That and I've just been lazy.