Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone Live in your shop??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bugsy, Oct 20, 2009.

1. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

That sounds pretty damn cool!

2. being recently single again ive been thinking about a combo unit. menards has a ag building kit witha 24x30x8 aatched to a 40x40x14 for 16k mat

3. I'm currently looking for a place in chicago with great garage space. I'd be happy with a large shop or garage that I could live in if anyone has any suggestions.

4. williebill

williebill

The ex always said I lived in the shop...I really didn't,just waited til she was asleep before I came to bed..

5. FuelFC

FuelFC

His name was John Hagen. 60's and 70's stock super stock man the on to Pro Stock. Sadly he passed driving his Pro Stock Car in front of all of us at Brainerd. Was one of the last independents for Mopar.

He gave me time on car stuff and all kinds of questions when I was 14/15 years old and never discouraged us in our exploits or efforts. Gave everyone a nickname. Always had time for a young kid asking questions. Always had a smile. A great man.

Trained another kid up along the way named Greg Anderson.

He had to grow up though too I guess and eventually even he ended up in a house with the wife and kids. But he still had the store, the shop and a restaurant next door. 3 out of 4 I guess ain't too bad.

6. arca39

arca39
    from summit il

heres two, first one a uncle was building a inground covered pool and it was connected to the house, ended up with a 6 car garage that has a sliding door into his bed room. #2 a friend down at the lake of the osarks built a pole barn and cemented just the right size to make a bed room and bath/kitchen.

7. AntiBling

AntiBling

Yes, no shower though, just got a gym membership. Sucks driving to the gym whenever i want to take a shower, but gets me to go to the gym more.

And then back at my farm after I moved out the old farm house went to crap. I put up a steel building, spray foam insulation, tin on the inside for paneling, bathroom, shower, laundry, bedroom, and main living area setup for a kitchen.

8. Somewhere i have some plans for a barn with a apartment above, always liked that idea.
    Lars

9. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Put my name on the "If I were single" list...

My unlce owns TRACO Engineering, famous for building 60's Trans Am motors... anyway he's got a huge shop with a nice office and living quarters.

Living the dream I say!!

10. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Buddy of mine got divorced...she got the house and he got all of his tools, shop equipment, the Hot Rods, motorhome, ATV's and a bit of cash from the deal.
    He leased a shop in a "shop complex", even though he wasn't in business for himself. Only about 30'x80', but it was big enough to pull the motorhome into and park all of his toys and set up a great shop.
    He had one sitting area" in the front that was actually the drywalled off "office" area of the shop. Located next to it was a wet bar/kitchenette and 1/2 bath.
    He worked out full hookups for his motorhome (including stellite dish on the shop's roof so he could live/sleep/cook/shower in it. If he went camping, he disconnected and pulled out.
    The place rented for about $1000 a month (less than an apartment) and it served as home and shop a secure place to store all his toys tools, etc.
    Plus, he could make all the noise he wanted 24/7 w/o offending residential neighbors-because there weren't any!

11. rpol7966

rpol7966

I've lived in/at my shop since '84. I renovated and added on in 2004. The apartment is small, 30'x30' enough room since I live alone. The old shop is 30'x60' and the new addition is 40'x36' with one bay with scissor trusses which gives added ceiling height. Makes it really handy to play in the shop.Here's some pictures.

Attached Files:

12. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

No, but I could, theres a a fridg , a shitter, and a wood stove...and up stairs theres a few old bed frames and a TV. Oh and theres cable and it's hooked to the computer too

13. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i was chatting with TC L emmons a few months back at KCIR , said he lives in one of Garlits shops at the museum . i envy old TC

14. floored

floored

My flooring business is in a small industrial area. They are strip buildings with a small office area and a warehouse. Two of the spaces just rented to repair shops and the guys are living in the office areas. I'm sure that it's not ideal living conditions, but times are tough, and if you can combine your rent more power to ya.

As a bonus there is someone around all the time to keep an eye on thing's.

15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

sometimes it feels like it

16. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Very cool place!! I am going to make this happen. I'm lucky(?) enough to be single again and can really save some dough on a mortgage every month. Between the crap economy, my ex, her nasty attorny and a liberal judge, it's my best bet at the moment!

Encouraging posts...keep them coming!

17. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Right now I have an out of state guy staying in some sleeping quarters in my shop, he claims "someone else" "lives" there also...

He has asked me if I know if someone died there........ :D

18. We built the Strawshop with the intention of it being a shop with guest quarters.............we got a little carried away with the living area so now it is our house. 1400 shop 1400 living area. We plan to add a timberframe addition off the front and some day I will build a "dirty bay" for grinding painting etc off the back. There are several threads around here with pics of it.

19. I got to tell you that this thought has crossed my mind more and more lately. Problems with the wife and the expense of a house and shop. It looks like a cool idea. Just has to be done right. Fumes,dust,dirt,noise,security and unwanted visitors all need to be taken in to account.

Grant www.schwartzwelding.com

20. dashman

dashman
    from Viroqua WI

The first year of owning my own custom machine shop I did eat and sleep here, pushing over 30 hours straight many times trying to get the work done. I'm like the carpenter that never gets to his own house. Ahh but if I were a younger man again, I would never leave! Sometimes priorities can change things along with age.

21. scarylarry

scarylarry

I do.

Attached Files:

22. Drive Em

Drive Em

I live in 700 square feet above my 2,000 square foot "garage", and even though I do not make a living out of that garage, it is deemed un-insurable to most insurance companies as they see it very odd to have a house that is considerably smaller than the "garage". I am currently paying far too much to insure the whole thing by an under writer who was the only one who would insure me.

23. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

best move i ever made.

60x120 steel barn with my house inside. been working on it for two years and we are almost finished.

lowest bills i have ever had with the house inside.

would do it again in a minute.

Attached Files:

24. Frank & Sara

Frank & Sara

Exactly what the wife and I are talking about doing>
    A few friends have done the same &#8220;metal building house inside&#8221; and love it.<o:p></o:p>
    Very cheap energy bills compared to a conventional house.<o:p></o:p>

25. Vinny of Destruction

Vinny of Destruction
    from wisconsin

My shop is at my house but detached :confused:

26. a bloke

a bloke

O/T: I knew a guy in Sydney that lived in his woodworking shop during the week. His wife lived about 70 miles south, so he would stay there and work a lot of hours during the week making kitchens, then go home Friday night. He had a shower in there and cooked on a bbq. He spent most summer evenings drinking beer and shooting the empty cans with a pellet gun.
    Seemed happy enough.

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I've got two friends who have done it, and I envied them both! Gary up in Illwaco WA., (first avenue rods and customs), has lived in a loft above his 3000 sqf or so shop for many years. No kitchen though - bbq grill out the front of the shop, (freshest salmon i've ever ate!!) and a couple of great bars and restaurants down the street. Been my pleasure to do a couple of extended stays there, man I wish I could do that! Another friend, Ron Olmstead here in Phoenix found himself "resinglefied" about thirteen years ago, and moved into a loft in a light industrial area here in town. Same kinda deal,limited kitchen, bath on the lower floor, nice small apartment up high with doors that close tight. He lived there for about three years until he remarried and built the "carriage house" he has now. All living space upstairs, six garages downstairs. Makes me wish I didn't live in a cool turn of the century bungalow after all!

28. NiceFloor

NiceFloor
    from Albany, NY

My Ex-Brother-in-law owned a woodworking shop when they got divorced. Literally put a cot in behind the tablesaw and lived there with nothing but that cot and a hot plate for almost 2 years. Spent a lot of time at the pub, though.....

29. Had a huge barn inrth central pa. Were my father lived in camper inside the barn. Had a wood shop in one section, metal shop in another, work -shop area in the center. Tack room, ans storage under the shop.
    Lots of room for the toys. A 87 years old he built a 28ar rdstr pickup under his car port in florida. His in town daily driver.

30. docauto

docauto
    from So Cal

if the shop/garage is bigger than the house, does that count?

if so I'm in!