Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone know what this rear view mirror is....Hirohata Merc?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drdave, Apr 27, 2011.

1. So I have this cruddy black plastic late model something or other rearview mirror in my merc that has to go. I've looked at a lot of mirrors in a lot of mercs and I keep coming back to the one in the Hirohata. It just looks like it belongs there, and most of them don't, ya know? It mounts to the top of the garnish molding with a screw on each side, the neck parallels the glass nice and it doesn't appear to hang down to far so as to block the windshield. Problem is, I don't know what it came out of to hunt me down one. Anyone?

Attached Files:

2. ArchangelKustom

ArchangelKustom
    from NR/OH

mid 60's GM full sized cars used a similar stainless backed mirror that polished up nice and is easy to find. There are several styles of mounting arms - chrome, painted metal, etc.
    The lip of the mirror has a grey rubber seal that might look out of place, but could be color matched to your car with Dye.

Here's a pic...dunno if its what you're after. The mount is 66 Impala.

Attached Files:

• 106.JPG
      106.JPG
      File size:
      103.8 KB
      Views:
  3. Well, that mirror might work, but not the one I'm looking for. I'm sure it's a 52-56'ish chrome mirror off of something, just not sure what.

4. I have the same problem, and my glass is v-butted.

5. Yeah, that's the thing. At the Merc Gathering in Sacramento, I looked at every mirror in every Merc looking for one that would work AND look like it belongs. No surprise, but the one in the Hirohata looked best. I'm sure it was just grabbed off something in a wrecking yard when whatever owner was forced to put mirrors on it. You look at early pictures and it isn't there, but there are mirrors on it in the pic hauling the boat. Jim's wife knitted the muff around it for him when he got it in 59/60, so the mirror has to be something early/mid fifties. I wish I had better pics of it to make ID'ing it easier, but I haven't been able to get REAL close to it. ;)

6. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Does that mirror have a convex lense?

7. Hmmm, kinda looks like it, doesn't it? I'm pretty sure it's flat looking at other pictures I have that show part of it. I'm thinking it might be a day/night mirror...looks like I can see a bit of a knob/lever on the bottom where the muff sags a bit.

8. twochops

twochops

USED a 55-57 T-BIRD repro mirror on my 49 Merc,not the same
    but will work until you find of copy.
    TwoChops

(Pro Stock John-should solve your problem)

Attached Files:

9. twochops

twochops

Or do like BOB DID and not use a inside mirror.
    TwoChops

Attached Files:

10. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

50s chevy looks similar but i dont see the 3rd hole in the pic you posted. Has the same look though.
    [​IMG]

11. Thanks Bill (twochops).

I'll need to scrounge around for something. I don't think I'm going to run side mirrors (for now).

12. hotrod37

hotrod37
    from Indiana

In your picture through the windshield, it does appear to have a day/night lever att he bottom. But it also looks like a "knob" or something on the right side (drivers). Could that be for "bending" the glass for a wide view. Some one thought it was convex glass.
    So is it an aftermarket one?

13. Thanks Two Chops...that's getting closer. I'm like John and without the center divider, the header is pretty much the only place to put a mirror.

LOL...'ceptin' I like to see what's behind me. ;)

14. That is the mirror I originally would use, since I had put one in my 49 Chevy with an Olds windshield. But, then I saw what was in the Hirohata and thought it might fit a bit better with only the two screws. But, the stalk does seem similar...wonder if it is the same with the third hole cut off and the base cleaned up?

It looks that way in the picture I posted, but I am sure it is flat glass having seen it person (just can't get the right angle picture of it).

15. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

I knew I had seen one before. I have one.:eek: I do plan on using it sometime...when I can afford chrome, and find the rest of it. No name on it anywhere.

Attached Files:

16. Rikster

Rikster

Here is an inside view of the mirror...

[​IMG]

17. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

It looks like a '56 Cadillac mirror to me. Maybe '56 Buick, also.:confused:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's '55 Cadillac. So I'd guess '55-'57 GM.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  18. [​IMG][​IMG]
    Notice the dark steering column??????

19. Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! That looks like it, now if we only knew what it came from.

Rik, thank you for that better shot. Looking at yours, it almost looks like it could have been a three hole base with the third hole cut off and the bracket cleaned up the way it has a dip right there in the center.

Jeff, as much as I have studied all these pictures over the years, I'm not sure I noticed that the column was dark (presumably green) early on and then got painted white later, or at the restoration. Personally, I think I like the white column better with the white wheel. Dave thinks to self as he is painting his new dash and column white, "hmmmm I might would consider white at the top with green under the dash tho...."

20. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

After browsing the Classifieds, I'm about ready to stake money on '56 Cad for sure!:cool:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  21. Oh man! That is so awesome!!!! Thanks! I kept looking at 52-54 Ford and wasn't getting anyplace. Now I know what to look for. :D

22. roxndoxn

roxndoxn

And no Mirror???

23. Hmmm I don't have a headliner right now. :)

24. I have a T-bird mirror.......I can't see anything but my back seat though,hahaha!