Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anyone know what tapped thread Chrysler screw in balljoints are?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Sep 17, 2018.

1. the smaller uppers and larger lowers
    Thanks guys

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I think this came up here some time back, seems someone found a supplier for the threaded weldments.
    I machined some in the 80's for a friend that custom makes tube A-arms, too much work single point threading them, I think he found a supplier back then.

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

4. vitamindart

vitamindart

they sure don't make it easy to find that do they. I looked for a while just out of curiosity.
    if I remember correctly the small uppers were only used on the A bodies. don't recall a factory screw in lower, but I have only worked on the 60's early 70's Chrysler's

5. I thought I read somewhere once that there was not a standard for the threads on the ball joints so they all vary a bit. I could be thinking of something else but I thought it was about Chrysler ball joints and that it was the reason the original A arms were not threaded so the ball joint could cut it's own threads.

6. vitamindart

vitamindart

they have threads in the a arms. several places even sell replacements with threads to make your own arms.
    think some of the mustang II / pinto style kits use those ball joints.

7. I need the tap,thread chaser will do.
    Found this but still don't know the thread specs
    $225 ouch
    image.png

classiccarjack and Hnstray like this.
  8. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I looked at all those links and I still don't see the thread sizes.

Hnstray likes this.
  9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Circle Track A-arm supplier will know...it all we use.

10. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You might poke around this site, or give them a call. They’re pricey, but very high quality. You can get the large size joints in different stud lengths. I’ve used them, and seen others use them to correct some geometry problems. Mainly a circle track deal is what I was told.

http://howeracing.com/

11. Yep it's a matter of national security I guess. Should be leaked in a memo soon

dirt t likes this.
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

:confused:

13. gene-koning

gene-koning

If you called Chrysler tech, I'm pretty sure they would have told you that because all the modern Chrysler ball joints are pressed in. Back in the old days, Chrysler would have sold you the sockets to remove the screw in ball joints, but the new Chrysler has little idea what the old Chrysler did, or did not do, and they really don't care. Gene

14. gatz

gatz

15. Fordors

Fordors

I am not sure exactly which ball joints you want to use but at qa1.net I found a chart that lists major thread diameters on ball joints. The Moog K719, which is for Dodge intermediate (is that the B body?) has a thread major diameter of 1.837. There is no TPI shown but a quick check with a thread pitch gauge would give that.
    A 2”-8 UNF bolt has a thread dia. of 1.918 and I’d expect there are more than 8 threads per inch on a ball joint so I suspect they are odd threads.
    It might be that they just sized the “thread”, which is not a known thread size but a means of installing and keeping the ball joint in the control arm. Granted, the tap is available but it might be a custom item made to work with the Mopar b/j threads.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  16. confused....never had a prob with either uppers or lowers....bad A frame or lower control arm - just get another...

17. Could you cut some reliefs in a the ball joint threads and use it to chase the existing threads? Might be cheaper than $225 ouch is right

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They press in. I learned this in 1979.

The special sockets, which I have, are for taking them out.

fredeuce likes this.
  19. I've been using a socket to install these ball joints for many years. Have I been doing something wrong?

20. Might help if OP told us what year and model Chrysler ball-joints are beign discussed and/or whether we're talking about the threads on the b-j housing-to-control arm or threads at the end of tapered stud-to-spindle. More than one variance known to exist.
    For example, ones from 1957 are different than those from 1974, etc...
    Early, i.e. '57-'62 (perhaps later?) housing-to-control arm threads were designed as self-tapping with couple of over-size threads (used to be) available for replacement.
    I've replaced several dozens over the years/decades.

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do they go in, and stay in?

22. gene-koning

gene-koning

One shop I worked in years ago had the policy that any Mopar press in or thread in ball joint had to have 3 evenly spaced tack welds around the outer edge. No tack welds, no longer work there. I suspect at some point there must have been a few that came out. Didn't seem like a bad idea, especially after changing 3 or 4 ball joints in the same set of control arms. If they had been tacked in before, you cut the tacks and pressed them out, pressed in the new joints, and tacked them in. Gene

23. K772 fit s 58-89 Chrysler
    K727 fits 60-66 chrysler & 71-89 dodge

I'm sorry I confused you,
    I asked for a thread size not a repair philosophy

24. Could you take the bj to a machine shop or someone else that could measure the threads.

I see it a lot where manufacturers for whatever reason on certain parts will use “ off” threads
    Kinda this .... but could be that .... sorta . Keeps you going back to the dealer

Snap on makes universal thread chasers inner and. Outer

D148AB9C-E92A-49E0-83C6-85E580FC7C57.png 17B7A89D-560F-4EFC-852E-B155A53D3581.jpeg

They work great, helped me out a bunch of times the hubs and shafts ie. larger threads and avoiding buying expensive taps and dies.

classiccarjack likes this.
  25. In a attempt to lessen already apparently excessive confusion this thread (no pun intended) has created, it might be a good idea to clarify that given part numbers above are NOT Chrysler, but rather some aftermarket supplier (MOOG ?) issued references.

As for determining the thread size(s) on given ball-joint housing(s), while nothing standard (as I noted earlier), grabbing & using a micrometer would probably provide sufficient information, but I wouldn't expect to find a common taps/dies or thread chasers for those pitches.

If the ultimate intention of the original topic is attempt to clean or create required (internal?) threads with a "tap" or "thread chaser", reply #7 seem to offer an addequate solution.

26. Gotta love the HAMB,
    Ask a simple question and its sprinkled with Fly shit and pepper and then everyone forgets the question because they are to concerned about the fly shit and pepper.

So there's no thread size ? FINE
    Funny because I've got male and female threaded parts in my hands,
    Anyone can buy said threaded parts as well from about Twenty different venders
    Someone is threading these things and someone is making thread chasers with no thread size too?

egads likes this.
  27. Vicky it is an oddball thread as I recall. I wish I could give you a number. Snap on used to sell a thread chaser or you could buy one from Mother Mopar for 3 times the price. You local snap on truck ay still be able to get them for you. But like I started out to say I think they are an oddball thread.

I got a friend that is Mr MOPAR let me see if he will answer a txt and tell me what it is. he may even have a tool that you could borrow via UPS.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.