Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anyone know this car ??? Perhaps from MI ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Beezer, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Beezer

Beezer
    from Michigan

image.jpg This is a long shot, but, would any fellow HAMBER perhaps know this car and where it is today ???
    This photo was taken by me at the 1972 Street Rod Nationals in Detroit.
    I know it's a long, long, time ago, but I would love to find this car.
    I believe it was from Michigan so perhaps a fellow Hamber from MI might know the car and where it is today.
    I know it might be impossible but then again .... with the H.A.M.B. anything is possible.
    Beezer

2. manyolcars

manyolcars

We dont build cars with the back tires sticking out nowadays but that is a Fine looking car!

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sweet coupe but I wouldn't expect to find it in that same build mode today if it still exists as a lot of rods got changed around every couple of years in the 70's to keep up with the trends.

4. 42merc

42merc

Unbelievable, that was my '34.
    Detroit '72. Our first 'really big hot rod car show'.
    The car was sold the next year in Tulsa, then lost forever.
    I bought it as a rolling project in 1970. It was 'an old California hotrod', already chopped, Z'd frame, LaSalle floorshift & torque tube rear plus dropped front axle. No engine, had been Olds powered.
    I fixed all that with trendy stuff of the times, 350 horse 327 SBC, Powerglide, '57 Chevy rear & the best of all a Corvair front end. Was dark blue & primer with four beat up fenders & no grille. In the photo above it sports Wescot glass fenders & DuPont black lacquer. Fenton wheels & some kind of big tire on the back little ones on the front. The grille was purchased through Hemmings' at the time.
    Hot Rod Magazine did a small article a couple of months later.

Brings back some fond memories.

Don

5. stangman05gt

stangman05gt
    from illinois

That is so cool 42merc! had to be surprised to see your old car.

falcongeorge likes this.
  6. Unbelievable, that's a trip

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Uh huh...So do you ever look at a car like this, and ask yourself "Why the hell not??"

Pops1532, adam401 and C. John Stutzer like this.
  8. 2935ford

2935ford

ain't the HAMB the cats petunia! :)

Ron Brown, oj, 34toddster and 2 others like this.
  9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Wow, great looking 34. Unbelievable 42 Merc owned it. Looks to have about a 4" chop. Not my 34 as I chopped mine. Reminds me of the 34 5/w A boner recently picked up and de-street rodded, but that had a dropped axle. Of course, the Corvair front end could have been back dated to a dropped axle.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/de-street-rodding-a-34-ford-coupe.1011343/

That car would be quite a find to come across stashed away in a garage!

10. Beezer

Beezer
    from Michigan

Don (42Merc)
    AMAZING !!!!!!
    For over 44 years I have had an 8 x 10 glossy photo of your car hanging on my wall!
    To me, this is the Epitome of what a 1934 Ford Chopped 5 Window should be! Only change would be a narrowered Ford 9 inch.
    I to was in Tulsa in '73. I remember well the torrential rains and then the 105 degree hot sunny days. I can still remember well the guy on the radio saying, "be sure to stay clear of the low lying areas because with this rain and with this heat, the snakes will be out sunning themselves". Gives me the creeps just thinking about it.
    I certainly wish you still had the car or who it might have gone to. I'm certain is has probably changed hands several times.
    Still ....... I wish I could somehow find it.
    Isn't it amazing how the H.A.M.B. works!
    After 44 years later, the original owner of this car gets to see it again and know that someone admired it so long ago and still does today!
    Beezer

11. alchemy

alchemy

Who'd a thought that the original owner would also be a HAMBer? Chances are the current owner is also a HAMBer. But he might not realize it's the same car, cause I bet it looks a lot different now.

12. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

How's that for a "throw back Thursday"!!

13. What you mean "We" paleface. :D

14. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Holy smokes. The power of the HAMB never ceases to amaze me.

15. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

WOW!!! That is COOL! I'm always amazed of the power of the HAMB! Joe

16. Gotter love this place for these threads, what a buzz.

17. 42merc

42merc

I,m at Kalamazoo mats north this Fri , sat driving a well used 40 ford cpe blue.
    Hambers can try to look me up.
    Seeing the 34 again was a hoot.
    Story was that it came from Westminster, ca prior to my ownership.
    Don

18. adam401

adam401

Im 39 but got the old car bug reading boxes of car mags from the 70s.
    I love that 70s mag wheel fat tires hanging out look and I don't care who knows it haha. That coupe is very very cool

falcongeorge and low budget like this.
  19. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. Beezer

Beezer
    from Michigan

I think this might be the same '34 5 Window that may have originally belonged to 42 Merc.
    It came up for bid on eBay in May of 2004.
    (Please excuse the poor quality of the photo but this was printed off the computer on regular copy paper back in 2004.)
    It appears to have the same chop top and just kind of appears to have the same overall look as 42 Merc's car.
    Tried to bid on it back then but lost out on the car.
    Anyone know anything about this '34 Coupe?
    Did any fellow HAMBER end up buying this Coupe on eBay back on May 4, 2004?
    Beezer
    image.jpg

21. Awesome....many fond memories of the Fairground shows...sadly the man responsible for hauling me there over the years is no longer with us....and the Fairgrounds are "somewhat" standing , but in the process of being torn down...lots of memories from the shows, motorcycle and car swap meets...hell I saw Nirvana there....

22. Beezer, if you have any more pictures from Detroit '72, please post them.

23. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stupid Cool Thread!

24. Yes sir! The swap meets were the best. Wasn't much of nuthin growing up in Clarkston, but go to one of the fairground meets, and there was so much rare stuff that we only talked about at home.

This state is run by stupid people.

42merc likes this.
  25. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mr. Stutzer, as a Motor State lifer I wouldn't argue that point. From the perspective of also being a lifetime car guy there was a time when Detroit and MI in general was the envy of the rest. I find it amazing how animals, insects and plant life can decimate an industry that was the envy of the whole world.

C. John Stutzer likes this.
  26. Not just autos, boats too! Gar Wood, Chris Craft, Sea Ray, Hacker-Craft, Foster, Four Winns...

In fact the development we did in Oxford - the big old Sea Ray plant still stands in front of it on M-24 - it's now been converted to a series of fitness/indoor sports related activities (several of the guys I went to school with retired from there and got treated very well indeed when Sea Ray was bought up).

Let's stop before I get pissed off.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  27. Beezer

Beezer
    from Michigan

carcruse,
    Here ya go.
    Here are a few photos from the 1972 Street Rod Nationals in Detroit.
    I will post more as I find them. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

28. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I would like to start seeing more of this 70s style stuff come back around, Ive been predicting it for a while.
    A lot of it is undeniably the very core of cool!

29. Thank you Beezer. That was the first Nats. I attended and didn't have a camera with me. Later in 1979 when I bought my '31, I found a Detroit Nats '72 windshield sticker in it. I don't remember seeing my car there. NSRA sticker 1972.jpg

30. Beezer

Beezer
    from Michigan

Very cool carcruse!
    That's a great piece of memoriabilty.
    Found some more photos to post as well.
    I will put them up as soon as I can.
    Beezer