Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone know this car 56 Ford Gasser /The Dog Catcher

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 067chevy, Feb 18, 2010.

1. 067chevy

067chevy

Found this 56 Ford Vicky Gasser called the Dog Catcher. Anbody got any history on the car. Trying to put together a deal to buy it and want to find out anything I can about it. Car came from California is what I'm told.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
    catdad49 and kiwijeff like this.
  2. metalman

metalman

Cool car, a Crown no less! The restoration guys gotta love that.

3. Wow! Cool! I hope you get it.

4. Chevy55

Chevy55
    from Nebraska

A friend of mine from Overton NE bought that thing on ebay a year ago. He sold it at the Holdrege swap meet to the Ford dealer at Ceresco? I think. I can give you his contact info if you would like talk to him to try and trace it. I cant believe that it is sitting outside for the money he gave for it. He said it came from Cali but he didnt tell me where.

5. GREASEMONKEY72

GREASEMONKEY72

bitchin car, id leave it as is

6. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

Don't know it but HOT DAMN DO I WANT ONE! THAT is the body style, make, and model of car my dad was going to buy when his cancer went into remission and never got the chance to. As soon as my F100 is drivable I'll be on the lookout. Thanks for the memory refresher, its hard to remember shit after 14 years.

7. davis574ord

davis574ord

Buy it it is bitchen to have a piece of history like that enjoy dude!

8. johnnie

johnnie
    from indiana

Very cool! But get all that snow off it so we can see it better!

9. 067chevy

067chevy

Hoping to get it bought and get it home sometime next week.

catdad49 likes this.
  10. I'ld brush the snow off!-MIKE:eek::D

11. 56 gasser

56 gasser

You need to buy it asap....if not, buy it then sell it to me. Or when you want to sell it make sure you keep me in mind. Good luck hope you get. FORD GASSER

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yes, I know this is an old thread, the marco headers decal strongly supports the california story.

13. subdajj

subdajj

Need an update

Did you get the car?

14. Rogga

Rogga

It was $3500 "buy it now" on e-bay about 2 years ago........
    I know it because I was minutes to late on it, I talk to the owner and it seems to be a solid and dry old Cali car.
    The Crown vic showed up a year ago on a Swedish car dealership, but dont know if it was sold and shipped to Sweden.

Ps. I still have the e-bay photos in my computer, just because to remind myself dont be so F--king late with a deal again..........:mad:

Congrats to him who bought it! It was sure a great score!

15. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Here`s a pic of it when it was in Nebraska.

Attached Files:

16. RAY With

RAY With

Damn a crown used for a gasser? Good luck with it but I would be inclined to restore it to a street ride because there so few left.

17. 067chevy

067chevy

I heard it went to Sweden.

18. Neonmannen

Neonmannen

Yes, the Dog Catcher went to Sweden. But just some weeks ago, not in 2011. It sat behind the shed in Ceresco all the time. Now a happy owner will restore it and drive nostalgic drag racing with it.

kiwijeff likes this.
  19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I had a '56 Crown Vic in San Jose in 1965. It had a '52 Cad in it, with a dual range Hydro...and a 4.11 rear. Bought it for $325! British racing green...A real bomb out of the hole.

Frame was broken at the rear of the front crossmember, (the rusty one!) so I did some surgery and installed a 1/4" wall straight tube axle with semi elliptics and F-1 front drums...
    Thought I was the only one with a Crown 'gasser'! LOL

20. knotheads

knotheads

I know this is an old thread but I stumbled onto it while doing a google search on this car tonight .We used to street race with The Dog Catcher . 40 years has clouded my memory for a lot of details,The owners name wasTom He was a forklift mechanic for the Hyster company and lived in Santa Fe Springs Ca. The 56 had a long history of strip action . I think Tom inherited the 56 from his dad .The car ran a big block ford motor with a 4 gear and a nodular iron 9 inch .This 56 was a very hard runner . Some of the old L.A. Street racers on the H.A.M.B. might remember the car.

catdad49, kiwijeff, OahuEli and 3 others like this.
  21. Hagge

Hagge

She´s still alive here in Sweden. Saw her in action last weekend.

22. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Happy ending ,Thanks for posting an update.

Deuces likes this.
  23. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Nice..Too bad it had to go all the way to Sweden but a good home is a good home..Sure left some rubber in the water..Sounds brutal!!

Deuces and JeffB2 like this.
  24. drtybiker

drtybiker
    from florida

Missed that car by minutes for 3500.00 that is truley the one that got away.......a few years ago us knife collectors had a thred called the one that got away.....hint,hint........

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. Hagge

Hagge

It was the favorite of many during the 2 days, even so popular that it had to run a few times during Mopars At The Strip (with only Mopars) :) But one thing is for sure, you do not want know what it is for the engine in it now. (*coughing Blown 350 Chevy) o_O

Tickety Boo and kiwijeff like this.
  26. doctor chip

doctor chip
    from Delevan NY

27. moval57wagon

moval57wagon
    from So Cal

I remember this car running around Santa Fe Springs, Ca in 1974 and 75. Last time I saw it was at a grudge match between him and the fastest car in our group from Little Lake Park, a beautiful and equally fast 55 Chevy owned by a guy named Rob (cant remember his last name). The 55 Chevy was rumored to run 11.20 easily with a 327, cross ran intake, and 4 speed. Rob wouldn't race the 55 on the street any more because it was to nice. So they agreed to run at Orange County International Raceway. Dogcatcher made a no time shake down pass as did Rob. Dogcatcher made a so so run and Robs 55 never sounded better!!! They squared off in the burnout box. Rob did his burnout and staged. Dogcatcher did his burnout and shut it off after the burnout and pushed it back into the lanes. He said that he lost oil pressure. This was a highly awaited matchup and everybody there was disapointed. The 55 was by far the favorite and was expected to win hands down. Rumor was that the dogcatcher shut off because, after seeing Rob make his shake down pass, he didn't want to lose, because of all the smack talk he was spreading for some time before the race. Don't know if it's true that he lost oil pressure. Guess nobody will know for sure. Anyways, we didn't hear much about the Dogcatcher in our neighborhood after that.

catdad49 and kiwijeff like this.
  28. Ezeekial

Ezeekial

Now this is a cool thread to find; I know this is an old thread, but The Dog Catcher was originally my dad's race car. A previous poster Knothead was exactly correct, from what details I remember (born in 76, so much of her glory was before my time, or when I was quite young).

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. 66tiger

66tiger

I AM THE ONE THAT BUILT THE DOG CATCHER I HAD IT UP UNTIL ABOUT 2004 WHEN I GAVE IT TO A FRIEND OF MINE. I DID NOT KNOW THAT IT WAS FOR SALE I WOULD HAVE NFO THOF THE BUILDING OF THE CAR. IF ANY ONE OUT THERE NEEDS ON THE CAR FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME I WOULD LOVE TO INFORM YOU ABOUT IT.