Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone know this '50 Olds custom?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Comet, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Is he/she a HAMBer? Anyone know who built it, owns it, etc? If you've seen it, is it well built? I think it lives in San Luis Obisbo, CA.

Attached Files:

2. Rikster

Rikster

The car is a clone of a 50's built custom... I cant remember the original builder/owners name.

But this clone now lives in Sweden as far as I know.

Photos from FuzzyDice.se
    [​IMG]

Dont let the plate fool you, this photo was taken in Sweden

[​IMG]

3. twochops

twochops

Looks like Gary Minor's clone.
    TwoChops

4. Rikster

Rikster

Yep.. thats the name I was looking for. Thanks Bill.

5. twochops

twochops

Looks like it wasn't a question that you wanted US to answer
    but one YOU wanted to answer.

6. LOL, no I know about it being a Robbie Martinez clone, I didn't know Gary owned it and after that was posted I googled and found the R&C article. I was interested originally in the quality of work, but from I can tell Gary's cars are the real deal. Looking for opinions on this car if anyone has seen it.

If it's Gary's car, here it is at Billetproof
    http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/.../photo_03.html

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  7. mikes51

mikes51

I saw the car many years ago in California. I believe he had just finished it.

As far as build quality,

one, it did not have that overly gloss, plastic looking paint that you see on most recently built cars. I thought it was an old lacquer paint job, my first impression. When I saw it I really thought it was an old custom that someone had found and freshened up.

So in that sense, I would say it was built extremely well. It fooled me, it was so authentic looking.

8. Cruiser

Cruiser

I live in SLO and have never seen this Olds custom in our area, there is a simular Olds out of Santa Maria, Ca but it's black has the same tail lights.

CRUISER :cool:

Attached Files:

9. twochops

twochops

Gary is( Diehard magazine) only 50's stuff on his cars
    Yes that includes old lacquer
    T.C.

10. 00 MACK

00 MACK

I saw it at Paso 10 years ago when Minor pulled it out and thought it was just a year 2000 style color suede job.The owner of the originals name can be found in Andy Southards Custom Cars of the 50s book.

11. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Just talked to Gary Minor. Yes, he built the car as a clone of the Robbie Martinez car, and yes, it's in Sweden now. The black Olds that Cruiser posted, if I'm not mistaken, is from Atascadero and belongs to the same guy as a beautiful black '36 Ford 3W. Can't recall his name.

12. Hmm, ok so the car I posted is not the Gary Minor car, but Rikster's post is. Soooo, back to my original question. Anyone know the car I posted???

13. Well, I was asking because the car was for sale. Key word "was." It sold already, but thanks everyone. I'll keep looking.
    On a side note, I thought the economy in the US was bad? I've chased after 4 cars now that all sold in a day and had another deal fall through when the price was raised.

14. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

What are the tail lights?

15. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Recognizing that this is an old thread, I thought I'd clear up one point: the original photo in this thread was shot in Gary Minor's driveway, so it is obviously the car he built. He did confirm that it was now in Sweden, so I don't know about the car that was for sale in SLO.

The taillights are '54 Packard Clipper.

16. O.Hove

O.Hove
    Member Emeritus
    from S.D.

Looks to me to be 51-52.Have an Olds with the same taillights,but its not a fast back,
    it was also built in the 50's. It has a 4" chop. Do not know how to post pic. or i
    would. Would love to have some one I.D. the builder. Thought to have been done
    in Minn.

17. Oldrod47

Oldrod47

Tailiights look '54 '55 Kaiser. Cool cars in the day, looked like customs from the factory. Had wild interiors and colors

18. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

beautiful custom,love the front end treatment.

19. Here are the pics of O.Hove's Olds, he sent them to me to post. Anyone know anything about this car?

Olds.jpg

Olds 2.jpg

20. Wow, that's very interesting. The car was listed in Trader Online (Classic) and it was showing a SLO location and phone no. But you confirmed it was Gary's driveway, therefore his car. But it's also confirmed to be in Sweden. Sounds like some fishy business going on in SLO at some level (even if just "borrowing" someone else's pics). I guess I'm glad I didn't get mixed up in that, but I'm real curious as to where the car is now.

21. RAY With

RAY With

Where ever the car is its a neat ride. Done very well with just the right amount of chrome.

22. kustomkat

kustomkat

That is Jerry Gaskill. He lives in Santa Maria... Good dude... His jokes are a little rough at times, but great guy none the less...