Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anyone know of any 9 1/2" aluminum brake drums?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shaggy, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I need a drum that dissipates heat a little better for my '65 el camino, I'll make anything fit as long as it is the right diameter and atleast 2 1/2" deep, i dont really care about offset or lug pattern i have a milling machine, welder and a lathe.

Anouther option i'm considering is adapting up to fullsized 60's buick finned aluminum brakes, backing plates and all, anyone tried that on a Intermediate GM? I'd assume that interchange should be almost a bolt on with the right bearings, and mabey welding a different offset and/or bolt pattern to the backing plate?

Oh and NO discs....This isnt a streetrod

Basically for my normal daily driving use the stock brakes are totally fine, but i use mine for hard mountainous backroad abuse also, and using the brake/gas as on/off switches cooks my brakes after a few miles. I figure my new 327/m22 combo wont help either.

William I Decker likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

had some that I got off the rearend of a 79ish Monte Carlo. But they were only 2" wide, I think....and they were only made as original equipment, you won't find them as a replacement part.

Might be better off figuring out how to adapt 60s full size car 11" drums instead?

deathrowdave likes this.
  3. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I was just reading that some of the big block cars in '65 had fullsized brakes so there must be some interchange, hmmm possibilities.... I'd still like to push the original factory stuff as far as i can since i dont think the shoes or cylinders have any achievable shortcomings

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

"don't have any achievable shortcomings"...........and you say in the previous paragraph you are 'cooking' them..........I think you ARE achieving their shortcomings......:D

I can't imagine that switching to aluminum drums, still 9 1/2" in diameter, is going to make a substantial difference in outcome. In my opinion, the square inches of 'swept area' are a more significant factor than the brake drum material in solving your issue.

If you insist on not having disc brakes, I think you are on the right track with fitting really BIG drums.......the Buicks mentioned sounds like the ticket.

Ray

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
    VANDENPLAS likes this.

5. Phil1934

Phil1934

6. Exactly what I was going to say but you beat me too it.

7. aaggie

aaggie

I don't know why you want to stay away from disc brakes. The very reason manufactures went that route is to fix the problem you describe. Disc brakes doesn't make it a hot rod anymore than upgrading any other marginal part.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  8. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Yea, but i think if i can get a little heat off the drums i should be fine, especially with a good set of shoes

Those g-bodies look like they might just do it, I might need to spacer them since the look like the may have more offset but thats easy! Not quite traditional, but i can throw them on and see if that is enough, and if not i can always go bigger, only problem is the later g-bodies were pretty uncommon back when they were new, 85-88 should be the tail end of el camino only i think...

9. Danny there are a lot of tricks that we used to use to keep drum brakes from fading. The fade does come from heat and aluminum drums are a good way to dissipate it. But you can drill the drums ( 1/8" holes on the mating surface) you can also score the shoes, think checkered gun stock or diamond tuck interior here. Do it with a 3 sided file and a little patience, 1/4 to 1/2 diamonds will do it.

Or since it is something that is not out in the open like an open wheeled roadster you can go with 80 fin Buick brakes, I have a set now that I am adapting to a 9" Ford rear. Took someone's throw away 12" rear backing plates and a set of 90 fin drums that someone thought were not trad. Babaaam, I was or am in cheap.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Drums are totally fine in most applications and they have a lot of benefits(no outside brake dust, less sensitive to water on the road, last longer...) Mainly i just want to prove that the old technology is still fine with minor tweaks. Like why i'm a L79 cammed 327, and running an M22. I want a car that with traditional tech, and a crazy driver behind the wheel can eat most modern performance rigs on corners, I just need a little more out of this car so it can keep up with me.

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

^^^^^^^^^^did you make a typo in the first word above? The sentence that follows is more accurately applied to discs, not drums........

Oh, one more suggestion....get a life insurance policy for the benefit of your surviving family.

Ray

V8 Bob likes this.
  12. stimpy

stimpy

if you open up and ventilate the backing plate it helps scrub off the heat on both sides and helps keep the shoe surface cool too . as for brake dust I rather it get blown away than drop back between the pad and surface and act like a bearing .

13. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Everyone that knows me or raced me in the past knows i shoulda been dead a long time ago, but i'm so damn bulletproof and lucky it's rediculious, atleast if i do kill myself this way it'll be a rush!! :)

14. Ray,
    The missus keeps a life insurance policy on me because of the two of us I am the most likely to check out at any moment. Been going too fast for too long. :eek: :D

15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Benno,

There is a difference between skill and 'lucky' recklessness.....I am betting you are the former! ;)

Ray

16. Now that is a topic of open debate that has been going on for a very long time. ;)

17. txturbo

txturbo

If you have a milling machine and a lathe .....why not make some?

18. Some of the GM full size wagons in the 70's had 12 inch drum brakes on the rear. Those are iron drums of course, but with your mill and desire, maybe adapt the 12 inch backing plates and drums to your hubs and spindles?

19. and yes....those little 69/69 Buick Skylarks ran FRONT aluminum drums with the 4 3/4 bolt pattern.....and they fit early Nova's.....like our little strip bracket car

20. Boomchain

Boomchain
    from Canada

Ford Galaxie 63.5 Police special, I believe are 10.5 x 2.5
    Datsun, don't know year Part #1255496CM.N that is what is stamped on the inside of the drum 9.5 x 2.5

21. William I Decker

William I Decker

'67-'68 Skylark/ A-body. I have a pair off of a '67 Skylark on the nose of my '66 442.

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope that he found his solution by now.

This thread is over 7-years-old.

V8 Bob likes this.
  23. Truckedup

Truckedup

No 60's car with drum brakes and stock design suspension even with upgrades can't even get close to a modern Camaro, Mustang or challenger. with equal drivers..
    But I do like the idea of using large diameter drums on all four wheels..You may want to look into speciality brake linings from Ferodo for example. But linings suitable for racing may not work well on a street car unless heated up from hard use...I have no experience with the optional Chevy metallic linings but they claimed to stop well for street use

24. spanners

spanners

My advice would be to keep the spirited, supposedly bulletproof driving for the track. One sidestep on a corner and you clean up the innocent family coming the other way. Yes, I did some dumb shit in my younger days but a lot of miles and years as a truck driver and seeing the carnage left behind by low tech car drivers sobers you up somewhat.

Hnstray likes this.
  25. SS327

SS327

I guessing he is a cabbage or worm farm by now seeing as he has not been on here since 2015.

26. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'd check the bolt pattern on full sized Impala backing plates. I'm pretty sure you can use them, and their drums on your Chevelle. That would give you a much better drum brake system, and not break the bank either.

27. Joe H

Joe H

My 1977 Pontiac Can Am ( Lemans ) had 11 rear drum brakes with 4 3/4 bolt pattern, they were the same brakes as Taxi's and Police cars. Shouldn't take much to adapt to the older housing.