Register now to get rid of these ads!

anyone know if crome works after chop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Chr!ssy, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Hot Rod Chr!ssy

Hot Rod Chr!ssy

I just bought a 53 chevy with 3 1/2 inch chop and wanna know: what about crome after chopped? sugesstions would be appreciated...
    Hot Rod Chr!ssy

2. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

3. GEORGIADAWG

GEORGIADAWG

confusing question?

4. i think she wants to know about re-installing stock stainless trim on a car that has been chopped?

5. roddinron

roddinron

I'm in the process of chopping a 54 Chevy right now. Do you mean the chrome around the belt line below the windows? If so, it depends on how the chop was done. Pictures would help.

6. Hot Rod Chr!ssy

Hot Rod Chr!ssy

yes the chrome around the windows and front and back windows also.. wanted to know if there's "life" for chrome after being chopped.. I want the car to look all black primer and chrome moldings and have the grill and bumpers re-chromed also. As far as the chop Can't really say what kind of job it is... Thanks for replying guys!

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

can you post pics of what you have? Most trim is stainless, which can be polished.

8. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

I just looked at your pics and the trim that goes around the beltline should fit right on no problem. Go to NATIONALCHEVYASSOC.COM if you need clips or any other parts!! Good luck, bitchin' ride!!

Ian

9. Hot Rod Chr!ssy

Hot Rod Chr!ssy

Thanks for the info.. Appreciate it.. I'm new to the hamb site. Nice to meet you..

10. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Same here!! Go to 50chevy.com, THE BIBLE for 49-54 chevys.

11. roddinron

roddinron

It looks like whoever chopped it used universal rubber around the glass that doesn't have the groove to hold the stainless, if so, you'll have to remove the front and rear windows and get the right rubber. You'll be shocked when you see what that little strip of rubber costs, but the trim would really bring your car to life. The belt line should be no problem though.

12. Squablow

Squablow

I don't know where your pics are, but your rear window trim should work if the opening was kept stock size and just leaned forward. If the opening has been changed, the trim will have to be cut to match. Same for the windshield. The window surround trims (if it has any) would also have to be reworked, but it can be done.

13. GEORGIADAWG

GEORGIADAWG

I'd love to see pics of the car

14. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

these pics didn't save very big.. but you can check them out bigger by clicking on her user profile, and looking at albums.

Attached Files:

15. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

like mentioned earlier, you might need to get the correct rubber with the groove that holds the trim.
    you could do a number of things:
    1) sometimes the trim will have a seperate L shaped piece in the corner. you might be able to cut your post trim and hide the cut behind the L shaped piece.
    2) I have seen people get a perfect flush cut in the trim, and just leave it.
    3) you could also cut the trim, and have it welded back together. it is stainless steel, so you need to find a professional that can do it right.
    it can also be cheaper to get the piece cut,prepped and ready so that they can just weld it back together.
    talk to the welder first and see what works best for them.
    you should be able to do the side window trim the same way, you might have to find 2 sets in order to make it work, I imagine above the door and back side window you might have to cut 2 pieces in 2 different spots in order to have one piece that is long enough, with only one seam to weld up.
    4) as mentioned before if the rear window is still the stock size and just layed down then the stock trim will go right back on (with the correct rubber)

16. PRIMERDAVE

PRIMERDAVE

nice car....chop looks good and like mentioned before....if you could get the trim around the front and back window it would look even better

17. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Visualize what you want then go for it. Any and all options will have people that don't like what you decide on. It's your car, build it like you want it.