Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone know about old flatbottom boats?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, May 10, 2009.

1. flyin-t

flyin-t

No it doesn't. If this thing is registered as a homemade boat, the BCF could stand for Bobby Cunt Fuckhead. It could also be the owner initinals who re-registered the thing.
    It has nothing to do with some shop that was in biz back east for two years.
    You're mixing HIN numbers with old school registration numbers, and ALL builders put the boats number on the right hand side of the transom, post '72-4, if it was also on the stringer or hidden someplace else, like a lot of builders did, it was to try to aid in the recovery of a stolen boat.

2. hahahahahahahahahah

3. New Old Fart

New Old Fart

If it has a foot throttle the steering is on the left.
    If the throttle is operated by hand the steering is on the right.

4. gasser55

gasser55

The hull looks like a Hondo...........But its hard to tell they all look the same.
    Heres that 64 buck smith I just picked up I almost have it ready for paint along with a 396 I just built. read [​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  5. I want a boat. Not just any boat ....

6. flyin-t

flyin-t

gasser55, I've seen that Smith on craigslist.

Here's my old Buck Smith, a 65 with a FE for power. Our youngest at the wheel, she's hittin' the plates and going into a turn.

I got to have dinner with him about 12 years ago at Knotts Berry Farm for a CRA event. He use to race roadsters too. Nice guy.

7. abone1930

abone1930

Nice flatty. :D Flattys are awesome. Cool project. What kind of box does it have? Looks like a late 60's model. Here my Hondo Sprint project.

Attached Files:

8. Thanks. The I/O box has got Halibrand on it.

9. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I have a foot throttle and the steering is on the right ?????

10. SICBOY

SICBOY

Sorry i dont know what kind of boat it is, But its a badass one nice score:cool:

11. vintagedrags

vintagedrags

the wood tops blow me away!!!
    this boat is beautiful!!!

12. Big Khaunaa

Big Khaunaa

i take this is old rigger right

13. Ive got an old flat bottom collecting dust in the barn. The deck is pretty much shot. I sold the v drive ages ago. Gave the interior away. All I wanted was the 427 (which is still sitting in it) and eventually I was just gonna crush up the hull...But every time I get closer to doing it a thread like this or an email with a cool flatty hits my computer and my boat gets a stay of execution.

They made so many styles of these things and so many people splashed molds and made modifications it gets real tough identifying em.

Your boat looks great Groucho, have fun with it this summer. If you've never driven a flatty make sure you take it out by yourself first to get used to it. Would be a bummer to lose a buddy on your first outing.

14. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I see Buck at Chrismans' Wednesday nite get togethers and although he's had some health problems ,he still looks good. A really nice guy !

15. flyin-t

flyin-t

Old Howards are nice, probably the best riding flattie in rough water, built like tanks they just mash down the chop. Howard Brown lived 6 doors from us when I was a kid in the 60s, infact he rented a house from my parents, I ended up working for Howard towards the end of my 30 odd year stint in the boat biz.

My old '65 Howard a few years ago, again FE powered.

16. KeithDyer

KeithDyer

Thanks. The I/O box has got Halibrand on it.

Groucho, nice find.

Nothing like a 100 MPH speedboat.

Did not know that Halibrand made a v-drive if I read correct.

You might run some of the photos by the folks at Casale and see if they might be able to help you figure out the origin.

Most of the early raceboats did not have VIN or any form of ID on the hull.

Get in a jetboat and get careless, not much chance of gettin hurt.

Do that in a v-drive and you will most likely not survive.

K

17. TexasDart

TexasDart

I lusted over these boats for some time. So how do they ride in rough water...do you all just avoid the lakes on windy days. I've owned a deep V I/O Searay boat and it was very stable. Just curious. Great looking boats.

18. I know they make the rockin world go round.

No wait, that's something else.