Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone keep a "build bible" or do you wing it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by INVISIBLEKID, Sep 24, 2010.

1. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

on my personal car no I dont, cause I change things way too often to keep an accurate record. For customer cars absolutely, helps to show them that you know where all the money is going, and then they have a record of what was used if they need to have repairs done elsewhere down the road. Also use build pics in these files as well.

2. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. Ive got a clear folder with all the reciepts for everything I spend on the 34. Instruction and spec sheets go into a seperate folder. I have to go thru the inspection process with our wonderful state thats why I keep the receipts:rolleyes:. I keep everything else in case I get the dumb idea to sell it one day. It will all go to the new owner. I have a picture file on Photobucket too. Maybe I have a problem:eek:
    If I start keeping the MSDS sheets then I know I need a shrinks help:D

4. 97

Just wing it ,there's no instructions with the junkyard/used 50-80 year old parts I use and anything that's not second hand, I build myself. Use digital camera if I think I can't trust my memory or logic but half of the stuff has been pulled apart in the past and assembled wrongly by other people anyway. :rolleyes:

5. I don't because I never know what I am going to use on the vehicle until after I put it on there.Plus it takes me so long that I loose any paperwork I wanted in a few months.I never plan anything,just ask my 47 children.:rolleyes:

6. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I kept receipts for the first car I ever built - none other. After that all I ever did was keep a book of important info - like which radiator hose I used - fan belt etc - stuff that would make maintence easier. I would also list tune up info - what worked good and what didn't. Jetting - advance - etc. This has no doubtedly saved me time and grief over the years - hard to keep too much detail on alot of these things.

7. So after reading some of your replies........My "bible " will be for a complete build.From stock to,well,what it will be.Some obvious things that were mentioned-
    Pics- Where I started from,and it's progress. Others to guide me on re-assembly.= I cant remember everything,so the pics guide me....

Part numbers- Yep,gotta look at the receipts,and see what I spent,but those get written down,IE... belts,hoses,tune up,settings,adjustments,and just about anything that I might end up replacing. Or that I've bought,besides $ stuff like a carb,dist,mtr mnts......

Engine has it's own catagory- all specs......

Wiring- as in kit. We all know that we modify,adjust,tweak....Those note's go in a seperate folder.....

General stuff- contacts,vendors,shit I know without needing a roadmap....

This was for my merc- a total dissasembly,with modifications,and trying to re-assemble with the factory nessesary stuff=IE weatherstripping,what bolt went where,and how things fit.

The rest was on me- the stuff I did,what I changed,and basically a road map to put the damn thing back together. it's kinda crazy to take a whole car apart,and remember everything! if you can,your the man!

Pics- are a godsend- without,I'de be in deep sh$t.

I know it's different if you've had your car for a while and making minor mods,or doing a bit at a time.But if your going for the whole enchilada(which sounds good about now),you know what I mean.
    Thanks for your imput. Kid

8. burnin8

burnin8
    from Manitoba

I keep all my receipts, make blueprints of things I've modified, ideas, drawings, hours invested.

All of this is with the intention of properly appraising and insuring my car, if it so happens that, god forbid, my car is stolen, or destroyed. Then I have the option of rebuilding, and/or making a budget for the next build.