Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anyone in Southern Ontario Canada and Could Help Look at a Mercury?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Qes, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Qes

Qes

Greetings everyone!

I think I've finally found a 1949-1951 Mercury 4 Door I can afford and has the features I'm looking for. I have been dreaming about owning one for 5 or 6 years.

I'm writing this to humbly ask/request if there is anyone in Southern Ontario, Canada that would be willing to help check out/inspect a 1951 Mercury?
    I'm not mechanically inclined and I don't really know what to look out for.
    Squablow has told me to look at the floors and inner/outer rocker panels...he's been very helpful and giving me great advice and has been knowledge sharing, but this is all I know to look out for.

If anyone is able to, I'd love your help and I could get you a case of your favourite beer! hahah

Well thanks for reading this!
    Hope you all have a great weekend!
    Sincerely,
    Kevin H>

2. Where in southern Ont ??

3. Ok , now I get it !!! You are looking for someone that lives in the Toronto , On area
    To go with you to look at the Merc !!!
    I can do that !! Sent you a PM
    Joe

Squablow and Hot Rods Ta Hell like this.
  4. oldsman41

oldsman41

Wood remover that is good of you to help. Hope everything works out for Qes on this and again the hamb helps someone out.

5. Checkin out cars and meeting other car guy's are just a few of my favourite things !!!!!
    Thanks Oldsman41

6. Where in s/Ontario
    Can help out west of Toronto
    Any info or pics of the Merc ?

7. Qes

Qes

Hey guys, sorry for the slow reply. I didn't get any notifications to my email addiress.

I called the seller, and planned to view/pay for the car on Monday.
    I just got facebook message from the seller that his friends got angry at him for selling and now he wont sell to me.

It really was perfect...everything I wanted almost, and great paint job.

I have a incurable illness and I really wanted this to feel a bit happier.
    Such is life I guess / C'est La Vie hahha

Oh, I added two photos for those who offered to help and are just plain interested! hahah

Have a great summer everyone!
    Thanks again for reading and replying :)

Cheers,
    Kevin H.

Attached Files:

8. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

That's must be a huge disappointment. I remember having a deal lined up all agreed to and just when I was to travel 400 miles I called the guy and he gave me shit for for not coming earlier even though he set the date. Call the seller back a gently bug him about integrity. He wanted to sell and now he's pleasing his friends? One of them probably wants it.

9. Squablow

Squablow

That sucks that your seller flaked, I really hope you find another.

10. dan31

dan31

There are people in this hobby just just like to know what their car will bring and /or how much interest others have in it. They are just "fishing". They get some perverse pleasure out of the whole deal but all they really do is screw someone over . I have never bought or sold anything because my friends told me to, doesn't even make sense. Sorry the guy did this to ya.

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  11. My bet, if the car was selling for what you said you wanted to spend in your kijiji ad, is someone told him he was selling it too cheap or he got a better offer and sold it to someone willing to pay more.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Kustomman#1

Kustomman#1

Nice looking one for sale on Hwy 2 outside Belleville Ontario.....stock 1950 4 door burgundy.

'Mo, Squablow and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. Friend of mine has a real nice 50 , 4 door for sale . Not sure what he asking . Flathead car with some work done to the flathead .
    I can give you his number if you want to talk to him .
    No disappointments with this one .
    Has other cars and would like to downsize some . Give him a call , real nice guy to talk to and deal with .
    Joe

'Mo and Squablow like this.
  14. Squablow

Squablow

^^ Couple good leads there, worth checking out. And you specifically wanted a '50, plus flathead power, definitely should look into those.

'Mo likes this.
  15. Qes

Qes

Hi Fortunateson, sorry to hear you had a similar situation :(
    He said he friends found out and that they said he should keep it :(

Thanks Squablow, You really did take the time to help guide me!
    There still is one for 16K (listed for 19,990 usd), but it's about 6k too high for me.
    I need to save some money as I'm trying to get into old timey photography, think 1851 historic processes...if you are interested you can google "tintype photography" (something to do at home over the winter)

dan31, hmm wow! thanks for describing this "car selling fishing." Never knew about this.
    Thanks for consoling me Sir! :)

Hi K13, My friend also thought this also, but when I called the seller on Saturday, he said just saw my ad on a facebook classic/traditional car trading group page and replied. He said also, he hadn't put up any ads online yet.

Howdy Kustomman#1, Any chance you have a number? It's okay if you don't :)
    I'm also not sure about the stock flathead v8's. Are parts easy to find?
    I really don't have a space right now where I can learn work on cars :(
    Thank you for the suggestion though Sir!

Hey wood remover, Thank you for this post Joe! Also, thank you for offering to check out that Mercury I missed. Very kind of you! Sure, could you private message me a phone number and name?
    Thank you!!! :)

Hey Squablow, thanks for more advice!! I hope they lead somewhere :)

Have a great week everyone!
    For those in Canada, have a great Civic Holiday!
    Hope it's not to hot! haha

Cheers,
    Kevin H.

K13 and Sporty45 like this.
  16. Sporty45

Sporty45

Good luck in your search! :cool:

17. Kustomman#1

Kustomman#1

Sorry I don't have any information I just saw it yesterday on the way home from the Trenton air museum. But if you're really interested I could get the info on it!!! Rob

18. patterg2003

patterg2003

A good place to look for classics is to Google Kijiji Classic Cars Canada. A person can enter the years the press enter, then select make - enter, then can even drill down to model - enter and put in the price range. There are a lot of decent cars north of the border. You may find something that meets or exceeds what you are looking for.

19. Squablow

Squablow

There is endless parts available for the Mercury flathead engines, all stock replacement stuff and speed parts are reproduced, so if you got one with the flathead, you wouldn't have to worry about not being able to find replacement stuff.

I've also found that when a problem does arise, it's often easier to diagnose a totally stock car than a modified one, because you're searching for what is broken, and not "what modification did the previous owner screw up".

20. Qes

Qes

Hey thanks Sporty45! :)

Hey Rob/ Kustomman#1, oh okay, well, no need to go out of your way! :)
    But if you do pass by that parked Mercury again, if there's a phone number on a sign, I'd love to have it! Thanks man! :)

Howdy patterg2003, Thank you for your advice! I actually have the Kijiji app on my phone and it alerts me when something I want is listed! It's great feature! I only got it work last month or so. Had re-install something or another. Thanks again!

Hey Squablow!! Oh, that's all good to know (parts availability).
    Wow, yes, that is a very good point! Unless the owner has a, build sheet (?) then things would be hard to replace. Again, thanks for your support!

Thanks again everyone!
    I'm going to do some forum searching now about swapping a 350 trans into a stock Mercury.
    I'm not sure I can get used to the 3 on tree/manual shifting lol
    If I can find out how hard it is, or how much it might cost to get done, I think it broadens my ability to find a 1950 Mercury 4 Door!

Have a great new week!

21. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Guess you could try your luck at the Bothwell car show and swapmeet this weekend. Sometimes they got a pretty good car corral of cars for sale.

22. 'Mo

'Mo

I'm still betting there's a car out there looking forYou..And it may not be a Merc!
    Have faith, and keep an open mind!

23. Qes

Qes

ramblin dan, Thanks for the tip. I'm talking to my friend right now if he'll come with me on the drive :)
    Are you going, maybe we will see you there? Cheers!

Howdy 'Mo, Thanks so much! I'm gunna keep this money I saved up and hope for an opportunity in the future! Plus the longer I wait, the more money I have to buyer a more expensive Merc lol
    Thanks again! Take care!

24. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I usually play hooky from work and go on Friday for just the swapmeet. If you go on just Saturday the swapmeet is usually pretty picked over but the car show is Saturday and is always stellar and growing every year and some choice cars for sale as well.

25. Qes

Qes

Hey ramblin dan, Oh, I don't know if I can make it Friday.
    I'll try to get a friend to come with me on Saturday. Not too far, 2 hours west of me (Great Toronto Area). Hahah, if you see any automatic 1949-1951 Mercury's for around 10-13K, would it be too much bother to ask you to message me? I can send you my email address if that is okay.
    Thanks man! Have an awesome time Tomorrow (unless you are going on Saturday also, we could meet up!, coffee on me!).

'Mo likes this.
  26. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Will do. Will keep an eye out tomorrow for a merc. or any leeds and let you know if I come across anything. Hope you have a great time on Saturday and will be on the lookout for anything around my area.