Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone here from "Ol' Skool Rodz" magazine?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PEDDRO, Oct 26, 2003.

1. lownslow

lownslow

''I liked the brunette posing for the wrecked 36. Good job fellas She made that article worth looking at.''

wrecked 36 ??????? other than there not being some good profile shots of the car...whats wrong with it ??????? ...oh yeah by the way are you ????? that car is fuckin beautiful .......what would make it better as far as you are concerened ???

as far as the mag goes..... i like it ....i knew it was gonna be heavy on the scene when i flipped through it but , i still think its a good mag and i think it will get better too.... it was better than i expected actually....

2. [ QUOTE ]
    I agree with your comment on the photos. Reminded me of the cheap lowrider mags. How many of these mags are there going to be? Theres already about 3 good mags, and lots of awesome zines.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only "pixilated" pix I saw were the ones in the VooDoo Billy feature, and my thought was that they were given to the mag, not shot by it.

By the way...
    Who the fuck are YOU???
    That better not be MY beer you're drinkin'...

JOE[​IMG]

3. AHotRod

AHotRod

If there were no car magazines, what would you bitch about?
    God, this whole retro, back-to-basics, hot-rod market is so small in the big scope of things, we should be happy that anyone wants to spend the money and the time to "TRY" to put something out there for our interest.
    Read "Gold-Chainer" Magazines, there are a ton of those out there...after you've seen 10,000 fiberlass red '32 roadsters w/a 350-350, etc.,etc,etc....oh,WAKE ME UP!
    Just a bunch of spoiled brats!
    Up until 3 years ago, you could'nt find a magazine with a "Down-to-earth style HotRod" in it, no that there are folks making the atempt to do it, why can't we just enjoy the effort?

4. nummnut

nummnut

THANK YOU -AHOTROD

5. Hell, I forgot I posted this.....funny how shit doesn't change........OSR still ain't answering AND replying to their emails! [​IMG]

Alan/EDSELOW: what's happening with distribution? Now I know why guys that buy ONE mag get pissed off [​IMG]: I'm after HUNDREDS and nobody wants to take a MINUTE to shoot me an email to get the ball rolling......it's been 4 freakin' months! I reckon I must have sent 20 POLITE emails so far. How about the distribution guy sends ME ONE???

Supporting fellow HAMBers works two ways.

6. head

head

just found the site, and was wondering if anyone had been to the show in austin.

7. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

I guess I gotta agree with Junkyarddog....this whole "back to basics hot rodding" thing we all dig is about a "scene"...it's about creating a "scene" that's realistic, and by this i mean building cars that are actually used for what they were intended....to look badass, sound wicked, go like a bat outta hell, scrape the ground, attract women in droves, and to be DRIVEN! This seems to be the kind of rides they are gonna be featuring in OSR, so I'll prolly keep getting it. The mag's name sucks, and alot of the scenster shit did seem really forced and poorly used...but the tech article on the 94's was cool...now we just gotta get 'em to do one on Stromberg 97's...the 2nd issue didn't seem as bad...alot less of the awkward "I'm trying to sound cool" lingo...and the tech article on the '40 Ford brake rebuild was priceless! It was nice to see that they realized they screwed up by not putting full profile pics of cars in there....so they are getting their shit together....
    I don't know...I've been slickin' my hair back and cuffin' my jeans for the last 4 years now, and I plan on still doin' that after the whole "retro craze" thing wears off...not because I'm tying to fit in, but because it's what feels right to me..it fits my personality if you catch my drift...If you don't wanna cuff your jeans, don't. It don't make no diff to me...just don't get down on me for doing it, and I won't get down on you for wearing your open collared alligator shirt and your 15 pieces of 24 karat "bling bling" (god I hate that...sounds like the noise a preschooler's bike bell makes) around your neck. [​IMG] This especially goes for you Junkyarddog, as I know you're superrockibillyhepkatdaddiosaphied on them high maintainace Gold Chainer chics... [​IMG] [​IMG] But the mag's name really does bite....and if you were gonna show us some pics of that chick instead of Jesse's car, at least you coulda gotten her naked fer one! I mean, come on! [​IMG] Sorry if i got a little off topic...felt the need to add my rant...

8. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

Alan,
    I sent an e-mail to the mag a week ago monday about not reciving my mag. subscription , no answer.

9. ive got genos personal email ill shoot him an email and tell him to check out thr board. i also have phone # from other source if you want to pm me. Bones

10. nor cal nic

nor cal nic

i met a fella', 'C' DUNLAP in PASO... he's involved with OSR... great guy, we were introduced by mutual friends. he gave me his card and asked to stay in touch and to ring him anytime.if his attitude and enthusiasm will carry on to the mag. it'll be cool. i've met and talked with others from mags.who seem a bit jaded and it is reflected in those publications. so there.
    nic

11. i'll buy it anyway, just cause it caters to the build style of cars that i enjoy.

count my vote for: the name sucks

also way way to focused on 'greasers'. greasers are not the only people involved with traditional styled cars. they really need to tone the greaser talk way down, and work on featuring car related stuff. i don't want to know all about how cool you are cause you had a 57 chevy at some point, or how your a greaser from way back. the bottom line is who fuckin' cares. i'm buyin' the mag for the same reason everyone else is, for the cars. i also read car craft and mopar high performance, and they never have articals about listening to heavy metal and how to cut the perfect mullet, or how to shred your jeans and cut that 'vintage' guns n roses shirt to show some skin when your killing the boulivard in your 69 camaro.

how about this. im straight edge.( to people who don't know what that is, it means i don't do drugs or drink or smoke). i don't need to read a magazine about straight edge, or talk about it everyday, or bring it up everytime someone opens a beer because it doesn't matter. its just the way it is, the way i am. thats just how its been forever. same with the greaser types. don't need to talk about it. its just the way it is. just like fonzie. fonzie wasn't a greaser, fonzie was just fonzie.

anyway, blah blah, nobodies probably even reading this. i love cars, i like the cars in OSR, ill buy the magazine.

12. Jester

Jester
    from Blevins AR

I'm reading it Wicked, the fact that there are so many different publications is because of the diversity of personalities that exsits in this world. The good ol USofA has provided us with the right to take what we want and leave the rest. Ol skool rodz is different than all the other mags in my area and it speaks to me more, on the other hand if for some reason I ever dislike what I read or see I can just not buy it. Who cares about the name, shit is shit and shine ola is shine ola no mater if you swap the names. Point: No one is perfect and if we all liked exactly the same thing what a boring fuck'n whack world we would be live'n in. Jest my opinion I could be wrong and often I am.

13. DollaBill

DollaBill

"The name blows" category...

I am ambivalent about the magazine (well, I purchased Issue #2, so I guess I am not all THAT ambivalent)...

The name is goofy, and consistent with their hell-bent-for-leather editorial style...they are trying way too hard. The tech IS cool, and thats what makes the book worth looking at, but the forced narratives about "rat rods" and greasers, et al....

Hell, the most dedicated "Ode to Rat Rods" was simply a description of some guy going to purchase an already done truck.

Not to sound too eltist about the whole thing, because, after all, this particular genre is a "community", and therefore there is a certain (albeit broad) set of "rules" that we adhere to...but handing a guy a cashiers check for a vehicle is not really a rite of passage, if ya follow.

I suggest the editors write from a more objective perspective...just document the experience, as opposed to cramming in the repetitive Zen.

Cut. Weld. Grind. Prime. Add fluids. Roll.

Thats next months lead-in editorial...just add more cool tech pics, and I'll subscribe.

14. burger

burger

In capitalism, your dollar is your vote. I cast my vote twice, purchasing issues one and two. While there are parts of the magazine that I don't like, I'll keep buying it as long as they keep publishing it.

Ed

15. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

The photographer/writer they sent to cover our show this month was a super nice guy. Yeah sure he was driving a new 'Vette and looked like a genuine badass tattoed biker, but he didn't strike me as a poseur at all.
    Hey man I know the mag's heavy on 'scene' but it's got pictures of hot rods and half nekkid chicks and that's a good thing any way you look at it.

16. Jester

Jester
    from Blevins AR

Hey, anyone going to cover the Stray Kat 500 show, I'll volinteer to take some pics and talk to some kats and send a write up to ya on it if you don't have anyone else more qualified to do so. Jest let me know. Please don't think I'm saying I'm a professional cause I Not (see no grammer) but if no one else wants ta I'd love to (It'll give me the oppertunity to meet a few more Kats and Kittens anyway).

p.s. I would even use the spell checker

17. I still think they should change the name of the mag to "Rat Rodz"... or maybe "Popular Rat Rodding"... or just plain old Rat Rodder...

Then, and only then, will all the piecez of the pussle be in their correct placez.
    Zam.

18. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

"Popular Rat Rodding" I gotta say that's brilliant dude.

19. Yea, on several levels.

People can choose which ones.

Sam.