Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone here ever use HOK "Kosmic Krome"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Fishbeck, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Yes.. I've done a search. I'd like to know if anyone here, has any experience with this stuff. I'm getting ready to spray these bumpers, and wondering what I'm in for. A friend at the paint shop, said the better it's atomized, the better the results. Eff it.. just have to gun it and see!

Bumpers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. subscribed! Will be interesting to see what type of replies you get...as I may be in a similar situation at some point soon.

3. I don't think I'm going to get any responses. None of the other threads, had any useful info. That's why I started this one

4. My .02. It doesn't look chrome. If not sprayed properly it models real bad. On a part like a bumper especially front bumpers you will have chipping issues that may lead to other stuff down the road. I feel it has a place for smalls I.e interior pot metal trim parts that are f'd up pretty bad. IMHO it's a really really high metallic silver. Post up your results

5. BISHOP

BISHOP

Ive used it....... It will peal, it will yellow, it will not look like chrome.

Ive been a custom painter for over 20 years and have never seen such an incompletely tested product come to market.

Its almost like they wanted the public to do all the r&d work for them.

I wish I could get my time and money back for messing around with it. JUNK.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  6. Sounds good for interior pcs. That's what I'm worried about, not spraying it right.

These bumpers will live their life indoors, on couches and chairs. I'm hoping they last a little longer that way

7. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

Field R&D is always cheaper and more cost-effective than In-House R&D.

Just ask GM, Ford, Chrysler,

8. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

9. I remember reading some of that thread, a little while ago. My use is for custom furniture, that'll only be inside. So I'm not worried about the sun killing it, or rock chips. I think I'm going to be happy with the results

10. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

I've used it and to be honest, I would rather chrome something next time. It's a ton of labor just to get to the point where you are ready to spray the KK. The parts that I did for someone actually cost more than if I'd sent the parts out for chrome. The KK is pricey and at the end of the day, it's still paint, not chrome.

11. The bumpers can't be chromed, so this is my last resort. They were just silver. So this will be better than before. Thanks tho..

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  12. Few steps backwards, today. A little fish and 'chip' action, goin' on..

[​IMG]

13. Id forget using the chrome paint you wont be happy with the results ....\I know I wasn't ...heres an alternate idea.... wrap the bumpers with chrome vinyl wrap Ive seen this done on complete cars and it looks pretty good...there are a bunch of different vinyl film companies offering these products

14. I tried that first.. The wrap didn't work. I paid someone to do it, with bad results. I've seen some beautiful pictures of rear bumpers, done in the kk.

15. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

There's a BIG difference between the usual "spray on" chrome type paint, and the more advanced stuff where they use a silver nitrate solution, in water, to reproduce a chrome effect.
    I recently had some interior parts doing on a custom car I'm doing, as the price of chrome is astronomical. They were repaired and primered in epoxy, by myself, and then sent to "Coat of Chrome" in PA. The parts came back looking about 95% like chrome!
    The parts are still considered paint, and have a regular auto clearcoat on them, but the quality of the reflection is much better than the HOK, or Alsa stuff. I wouldn't use it outside the car, due to weathering/chipping issues but for your purpose, it might be a good. economical solution.

16. With all the prep work, this is not an economical choice. Live and learn, and right now I'm getting paid to learn. I bought a new spray gun, for this little adventure. So we'll see what happens.

17. BISHOP

BISHOP

18. Now I'm conflicted, since the directions specify the base should be polished. I think I'm better off painting them the same color as the couch / chair. I dislike that look, very much so.

19. Not like anything I've ever been around. Definitely, different. One coat and no clear, in this pic.

[​IMG]

20. This stuff shoots so quickly, being that it's so thin. Tomorrow, I'll dunk 'em in clear

[​IMG]

21. jcs64

jcs64

I really like it, kinda looks like the black chrome that your starting to see more of on new wheels.

Cant wait to see what the clear does w/ it.

jeff

22. A friend I went to H.S with, works @ the paint supply store, I shop at. He was telling me, he prefers to use an airbrush for better atomization. Truthfully I've never used one, so I didn't even consider it. Unforgiving and temperamental are the two words that best describes this stuff. Never again

23. grf-x

grf-x

The Stuff from Alsa is supposed to be better. So I have been told. I airbrush a lot but have not be able to afford the chrome paint from either company.

Your results look great.

24. Yeah, its not cheap. An it goes quickly, too. I'll have to do a search on the Alsa stuff. First I've heard of it. Thanks for the good words!

25. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

Innate Chrome is as good if not better than Alsa products(test them my self) I first ordered a small sample kit on which I tested a few items, and I liked it alot so much that I ordered their complete system(including clear and basecoat) to go pro with it... while it is not easy to pull good results I would say its Child's Play compared to Spray On Chrome.. which I also do..

I wanted to test the HOK Kosmic Krome paint while doing the Alsa vs Innate Review but I've heard its very temperamental to work with by this guy doing a Review some years ago..http://www.slmtoysandtrains.com/restorationchrome.html

so I only got Alsa's stuff and Innate chrome.. here is a very small sample of a finish product
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/anS55zgcWbY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

you can follow the Review here http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=677707

the issue I have with HOK Kosmic Krome is that while is cheaper than Alsa and Innate it does not have a dedicated Clear Coat that will prevent the Chrome effect being ruined by the normal clears coats out there...