Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone here chopped the top, sectioned, or pancaked the hood of an F100??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tlmartin84, Sep 18, 2012.

1. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

I've seen several images here on the hamb of this. BUT what I am after is someone who can show me a picture AND tell me how much they took out of theirs.

I am comptemplating how much I want to chop and section mine.

2. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

looked at em on your profile, how much did you take out?

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never been involved with one but on a 56 with the wrap around windshield you had better plan on getting a second roof to use for the pieces you will need to use for fillers when you cut and spread the roof to have it fit correctly and be able to fit a windshield in it.

In the 70's and early 80's there was a 56 F100 in Central Washington that got sold or traded off about every six months because no one could get a glass shop to cut glass for it and the times glass was cut for it it didn't fit because the top wasn't done right. That one allegedly didn't have the roof spread like it needed to be.

If it were me I'd section the truck and get that squared away before attempting the chop. That way you will be able to keep things in proportion better plus you will be able to tell what you can chop it and maintain proper head room. I'm thinking you will have real headaches on the glass if you go over 3 inches on the chop though.
    You probably won't want to take a huge cut out of the hood though as they are already slicker than the F 1 hoods were and 1 to 1-1/2 inch will probably do it.

4. ______________________________________

I know you're not asking, BUT TO CUT GLASS It's become a lost art, but doable.

" A Hot Rod that is unsafe is junk, simple as that."

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012

5. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

This was on here a while back...
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=566917

6. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

7. Phil1934

Phil1934

8. Here's a couple of under construction pics of a chopped and sectioned 56.Note the slice taken out of the roof above the drip rail.Don't know if it's done yet or not;these pics were taken a year ago.Kelsey Martin did the work.

Attached Files:

9. metalman

metalman

The key statment here is you've never been involved with one which make's me wonder why you're giving advise on how to chop a 56? FWIW you don't have cut the roof skin on a 56 at all other then some relief cuts right above the door., If you cut and widen it you'll NEVER get glass to fit. I know this because I HAVE chopped a 56, several a matter of fact and they all have glass. One I even salvage by cutting the roof back apart and putting it back to stock width after someone else widen it because he was told he had to. geez :eek:
    Back to the op questain. Here's a pic of one I chopped 2 1/2" and sectioned 3". By far the hardest part was the hood. Lots and lots of relief cuts and welding to get both top and bottom to line back up. To make it worse it all had to be pretty much metal finished since both side show when the hood is open. Might be ok for some but I didn't want it to look like frankinstien on the underside nor a bunch of filler to crack with engine heat. If your going to do it best have at least a little experiance, I wouldn't recommend it to a novice.
    img069.jpg
    Sorry about the poor pic, kinda pixalated once blown up but the only one I have on this computer. Somewhere around here I have a photo of it after paint, I'll try to find it so I can scan it and post it.

10. metalman

metalman

Found them.
    56-2.jpg

56=1.jpg
    Just to clarify, the section went thru the middle of the doors, up at the cowl and cab back and thru the hood. Fenders and bed are stock. If you have any specific questains let me know.
    By the way, I really like how the 53/56s look when they are chopped and sectioned, just a chop and it just ruins the porportions IMHO, especially if it's chopped over 2".