Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage anyone heard about this...the wilmington mile ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brandon, Mar 22, 2011.

1. brandon

brandon

2. The ECTA guys are working on it as another venue. Go to www.landracing.com and read up in the ECTA section of the message board

3. brandon

brandon

i was diggin' the fact that its only a hour and change away.....:D

4. brandon

brandon

read that they are looking for some feedback & support on the website to show to the "powers that be" ...could be a neat place to run ....sign up on the site

5. brandon

brandon

bttmffotmfl..... :eek::D for the thursday morning crowd.

6. Window Licker

Window Licker

Any new details on the Wilmington Mile, any idea if there will be events in 2012?

7. Marcia

Marcia

It is a go!!! The ecta will be moving to Ohio for 4 races in 2012.
    I we behave our selve maybe they will let us stay.

8. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

Really Ohio? Dag man I hoped it would stay local here in the NC. Oh well.

9. metal man

metal man

Wow, that's great news! I can't wait. Is this an additional event though,or does it replace the North Carolina venue? I'm hearing it both ways.

10. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Live 4 miles from the strip.Real nice all new,another deal where airbone express was bought out by its foreign competiter DHL they kept it open about 5 years and then closed it lost about 7000 jobs in a county of maybe 35,000 population.The people here will be glad to see some thing good ,its a good thing:DLook in forward to it

11. 26 roadster

26 roadster

This is good news, everyone go when the schedule is announced and show them we can be an asset to there town. It is only 30 miles closer for me but about 1 1/2 hours shorter,

12. metal man

metal man

It's 1-1/2 hours from me. I'll be there.I'm afraid I might have to build something fast now,haha. I'll just be a spectator in a hot rod for now.

13. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

I live 40min away. I guess I need to get going on my OT car.
    No excuses now.....

14. HotRodHighley

HotRodHighley
    from cincy, oh

Can't wait! I am about an hour from there.

15. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Wilmington Ohio replaces Maxton NC as the location for ECTA's events in 2012.

Ed

16. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

wheres the east coast part fit in .:rolleyes: I am about 2 hrs from maxton. When I first saw Wilmington , my first thought was wilmington N.C. Damn it !!!

17. saucerhead

saucerhead

Hmmmmmmm, thirty minutes away. Time to dust off the belly tank?

18. metal man

metal man

We definately need a HAMB gathering at one of the 4 events next year. A group of traditional rods and customs in the pits would be the coolest.

19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Damn now it's going to be 7hrs and 36 minutes instead o 2.5. I guess I should be happy for the people in POH as they are getting a real treasure. I hope to make one one day in it's new location.

20. edweird

edweird

i know its great for some of yall, but it really sucks for us maxton regulars. i wish them the best of luck. another good thing in the south shot to hell!! well i guess theres always a mud bog...........naaaaaaaaw, cant bring myself to do it!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  21. I've been following the situation and it is fantastic that the ECTA inked this deal - can't wait to go! Now that I've gone to Bonneville and been bitten by the 'Salt', might as well figure out how to be bitten by the 'Asphalt' at Wilmington. This should give all of us guys on this side of the States a chance to build cars and participate in LSR racing - so get started boys and show your support . . . even if you don't have a car. :rolleyes:

One word of caution, they take the technical aspects and safety VERY seriously, so make sure you join the SCTA, ECTA, etc - buy the books, seek help and learn what it takes to build a safe LSR car. This is not a situation where you get to run what you bring - you need to do your homework and make sure your car can get through tech. With that said, the rules generally make sense and are for your safety and those around you.

I will say, that the whole LSR crowd are great folks, like one big family that supports the "rookie" just like the veteran racer - you'll have a great time being a participant or a spectator.

Lets make this new track and events a success!

PS: I hope to get Buddy and the FlatCad Racing team here to an event - will give it my best! I'd really like to see the FlatCad car chewing up this pavement in one of the XXO classes.

B&S

22. metal man

metal man

I feel for you. too bad we can't have both.

23. BayDog

BayDog
    from Maryland

I was hoping Wilmington, Delaware. That's about 30 minutes from me and legitimately on the EAST COAST! Damn!
    BayDog

24. 55chevr

55chevr

ECTA has been around about 16 years. First raced at Moutrie Ga. 2 years later they found Maxton NC. The course there is on an abandoned WW2 glider training strip. It is 1.9 miles long. Racing groove is only 30 feet wide which is challenging. Maxton-Laurinberg Airport entered into a lease agreement with an outfit called Griffon, that does DOD and para military training for the government. This effectively closed the airport to the ECTA after October this year. Joe Timney and Keith Turk, the principles of ECTA were able to get a 4 race one year deal with Wilmington Airpark, Ohio. 9000' about a mile and 3/4-s. There are a lot of open issues, so far unresolved, but it looks good for last week of April. This is great organization with a strong base of racers. There are usually 90 plus entries and often 120. They get over 400 runs in a weekend. A lot of entries race Bonneville as well as ECTA.

25. I can't believe this is true, it's like a dream come true. Going to Maxton was on my bucket list. Now I live about 50 minutes from the Wilmington, Ohio. I spent the last 4 yrs. of my millwright career, putting in conveyer systems at this facility, for DHL. I retired, then a year later they closed the plant down. The closing put thousands of locals out of work, it was devastating to this town of wonderful hard working people. This is great news, you can bet I'll be there. If I can help in any way to make this work, I'm availible.

26. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Good news for Wilmington. My daughter's in-laws live there and the wife and I have been wanting to go and see the town. Now it could be a good excuse to haul along a race car. '32 roadster, '57 T-Bird.................Hmmmmmmm...decisions, decisions.:eek::cool::D

Frank

27. ,,,,,and the new dates are,,,,April 28-29
    June 2-3
    July 7-8
    Sept.28-29

:)

28. koth

koth

We are planning on going to the first race, and I can hardly wait! I had really wanted to go check out Maxton, and now the event is an hour from my place!

29. 55chevr

55chevr

When you go you won't be disappointed. ECTA members bring a lot of interesting hot rods, belly tanks, lakesters, Studebakers and more 200 mph Suzuki Hayabusa-s than you can shake a stick at. Bill Warner is an ECTA regular and he should be there with his 311 mph "street bike". It will be one helluva show. Plus you will get to see my laydown Harley run.

30. 26 roadster

26 roadster

is that a TYPO? September, should it be 29-30?
    Thanks#9269