Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone have pictures of abandoned Drag Cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BobG, Jun 10, 2009.

1. WCD

WCD

Looks like somewhere in Silver Lake/Echo Park. Or Ventura as in the case of the avatar

2. What sucks is,How could anybody "abondon" a drag car.

3. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey!
    Solo 55 Car was built by Blairs way back when! When we restored it we called it the X lions Gasser built by Blairs! When it came time to letter it we thought we would give Blair's Speed Shop the advertisement it deserves! Car has been to a few big shows & Phil who owns Blairs said I know every time you take your car to a show my phone starts ringing about this 55 asking questions about car that he can't answer! We just came out with the 55 on a Solo Speed Shop T-shirt so we changed the car decals to Solo Speed Shop like tee! Now when people ask questions they can get a hold of me & i'll answer & help them out with their car the best I can! Tks! Bill

Attached Files:

4. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pics Of Willys someone asked for didn't come out last night! Here they are Tks! Bill

Attached Files:

5. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG] Here is one with a happy ending. The old Mondello & Matsubara AA/FA... this photo was taken in Warren,RI about ten years ago. Most of you know that it is back home in CA. and restored to it's former glory.

6. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG] This car has had many owners and spent it's life in RI. and S.E. MA.. It started it's racing life as the "Chinese Bandit" flathead powered, then would change hands. Next it was powered with an injected SBC and named "Swamp Yankee". It spent many years left out doors in the cruel New England weather. It has been restored to the flathead version. I have not seen it in person since the rebuild, but there are picture floating around the HAMB of the finished car.

7. Church Key

Church Key

8. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG] Here is one I could kick my self for passing on. This was at the Mansfield, MA swap meet in 1995. I had a brand new altered chassis on the table at Chick Brignolo's Chassis shop, and could not afford to buy this chassis also. The price was a killer $ 700.00 (it still haunts me). To make matters worse...Several years later I became friends with Ed Pearsons of Woburn, MA.. He told me he was looking for his old altered, I told him how I had to pass on an old CR R-16 altered that was at the swap meet. After describing the car and examining the photos, it turned out to be Ed's old Bantam AA/FA. The good news is, He has started building a recreation of the old fuel altered, and will be cackeler.

9. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

I'll play along..... Jim

Attached Files:

10. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG] Although the wheels were changed, there were certain things that were a positive I.D. It is a stock Chassis Research R-16 model. The push bar was custom made chromeunit and the curved brake handle, set it apart from any other cars. The steel Bantam roadster body was long gone.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  11. Church Key

Church Key

12. scrape

scrape

ok,,, we need some deatails on this one....

13. 63'II

63'II

church key, i used to work summers at a golf course in rehoboth ma and the chinese bandit/swamp yankee fiat was parked in a yard at the beginning of the driveway to the course. i looked at the car everyday sitting in the weeds on its trailer. one day the car and trailer were dragged out in the middle of the yard and the owner was outside. i stopped and asked him if it was for sale. he wanted $7500 if i remember correctly for the car with the trailer and would only sell if someone would restore it the right way. i didn't have the cash at the time but he told me all about setting records with it in CT and racing all around new england. real nice guy. said he had two flatheads and a sbc? that he used to run in the car that came with it. the bomber seat, center steering, halibrand wheels, all the cool stuff definitely was worth the $7500.

i think i remember seeing this car restored for sale on racing junk somewhere up here for a substantially larger sum than $7500

14. goodgarb

goodgarb
    from TACOMA,WA

15. fireball 500

fireball 500

I own the teal 54 glasser gasser,its a glass hood and roof car, uncle scoobie owned it, ive almost got it to pavment

16. Herdez

Herdez

Car is out of Austin Texas. Alonzo Marshalls

Austin raceway Park
    [​IMG]

17. frankenstein1948

frankenstein1948

This car is unbelievably cool!

18. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Here is a 55 I found while searching for my dad's old drag car. It was going to be parted/scrapped so I decided to buy it. I put the white wheels/tires on it to be able to roll it on the trailer to haul it home. Then once I got it home I threw some old steelies/slicks on the back and fentons/skinnies up front. Amazing what tires and wheels can do for getting the look!! This thing had to have been a 348-409 or BBC car when run. The 10% set back would be right on for a "W" or BBC. It also has the ford Big Job truck air scoop used as a hood scoop!

Attached Files:

19. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

this is such a cool thread

20. chopt49

chopt49

Tell me you bought this, if not tell me where it is so I can! :eek:

21. Herdez

Herdez

From what I understand this car was found recently, it was known for awhile where it was all along and pulled out sold and off to Cali or something like that. Hope it gets put back the way it was. I sure would like to add the rebuild/story to the blog.

These are the only other shots I know of. Its a very nice gasser find out of Austin and wish I knew more about its history -Marshalls Trucking.
    <center>
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

</center>

elgringo71 likes this.
  22. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow.:eek::eek:
    Gasser Girl
    Now that's one i would have liked to have found.

23. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

A fellow HAMBer has one of those hoods that he would sell. If interested, PM me

24. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

Hey Bill,
    Is that the car I built the 4-speed Muncie for a while back? If so... Wow!... I'm FAMOUS!

25. 1badnov

1badnov
    from South Bay

Fred Cerruti's Quality Auto Bantam.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG] Here is a photo from about 6 or 7 years ago, at Chick Brignolo's annual party. I don't know anything about this car, but I think it was from NY. The guys picked it up in NY went a couple hours out of their way to Massachusetts for a barbacue, then headed back to Ohio.

27. Church Key

Church Key

28. Church Key

Church Key

29. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Here's a Buick funny car that was at the Gilmore Museum on display this season...the show card said only two were built, this one, with a blown, injected Buick in it, and the second one, with a Hemi, but the whereabouts of the Hemi car were unknown...same car???

Attached Files:

30. Church Key

Church Key

Looks like the same car ! They pick up the car in NY, and that is where Coney Island Ralph was from.