Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone have pictures of abandoned Drag Cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BobG, Jun 10, 2009.

1. boutlaw

boutlaw

what a GREAT frickin thread, glad it got bumped back ttt!

2. novabbc

novabbc

Here is my 55 that I bought last year. It was called the Roadrunner and ran out of Laurenburg N.C.. The owner was Jimmy Hickman. The one pic is from around 1967-68 and the others are from the day I bought it. We took the car to the original owners sons shop Hickman Performance in Laurenburg N.C. for him to see his fathers car that had not been seen since 1973. Many people that were involved with the car came to see it. The car was stored about 100 miles from Hickmans shop. Everyone thought this car was long gone but it was really nice to see all the people come to see it with a lot of great stories and big smiles.

Attached Files:

3. Ive seen this csr in person and its cool as hell !! Nice job bring her back to life!!

4. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

my boy has sat in this car the last 2 years in bowling green and hopes to again this year

5. Lost track of a Anglia that i helped with
    Called Hudsons Hornetit was blue with hcolor changing stripes going down the side a hornet painted in the nose and with a little help from my frienda on the rear roof
    Paint was Himsel & Haugh
    we had it at SF car Show git 1st and Reno got 1st never raced it
    was sold to Petaluma Speed & Marine they wrecked it hasent been herd of
    it was called Nightmear with same paint
    its in a Jackson Brothers Vidio
    just curious has any one know of this car

6. Church Key

Church Key

I have also seen this car at BG...Great restoration, and the fifties style helmet and goggles complete the look.

7. str8 6 str8 edge

str8 6 str8 edge
    from Tampa

I took these photos in 1988. They were my uncles. He raced them in the north east in the 70's.By the time I was old enough to know what to do with the rail it was gone. There was another rail chassis behind the garage about twice the length and a bantom body in a chicken coupe. All gone. Most of it was sold so hopefully they're getting used.[​IMG][​IMG]

8. You've waited a long time for an answer.Yes it was an early line lock.You'd stage with the foot brake then pull the handle.Another way was to bolt a long handle to the brake pedal arm

9. gkateley

gkateley

I grew up in SoCal in the 60's and Willie's Pie Wagon was one of the most popular cars. Wille knew how to make a flathead run and he won many times by beating newer more modern V8 powered cars. Always the under dog he seldom disappointed his fans. Notice in the picture from San Diego Raceway, he's smoking a cigar while driving... and everyone thinks Dick Landy invented it. I hope who ever owns it restoes it, and brings it to the Nostalgia meet at Bakersfield.. Everyone would love to see it run again..:)

10. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

Thanks for the compliment.:)

11. chris gerber

chris gerber
    from N.E. Ohio

http://www.nostalgiafunnycarbodies.com/bodies/challenger.html

http://www.dragracingonline.com/agent1320/2012/1320-xiv_2-53.html

Check out what happened to Mike O's old Challenger body. Second round at Bakersfield for the Smokey car in AA/FC.

Attached Files:

12. Did you get as far south as Green Valley? I think I saw this car when I was in hi-school

13. Henrysnephew

Henrysnephew
    from SE Mich

Found and bought this AWB Falcon near Lansing, MI in 1995. Research revealed it to be the Bobby Lagana "Chevamoco" Chevy powered match racer from the east coast. Fella I sold it to still has it, with plans to restore eventually. Randy Millard (Henrysnephew)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. rastiss

rastiss
    from tejas

seems like there were 2 of these built. one was the "real" car and the other was for display. i was thinking roth built them but don't remember for sure. i was just a kid. shrewsberry was a good family friend back in the day. i remember getting to sit in it at the world finals in about '80. i have a pic somewhere of my brother and i with it at the finals. i'll have to round it up. it was sure a purdy car back in the day.

15. Rat Rod Roach

Rat Rod Roach
    from Aurora CO.

rastiss,

Not sure how many were built... but one was on display at the berry farm. I too loved to watch Wild Bill in the wagon... I was at the salt flats a couple of years ago and found one of the cars in a trailer on it way back east from what I heard... I have pic somewhere......

Roach

16. BIG JOHN 37

BIG JOHN 37
    from central NJ

Larry's Berry wagon, was the Display car. Recently sold after years of Ownership. He cleaned it up, and displayed it at the Detroit Autorama, in the Basement a few years ago, and at the EMMR museum. The original Wheelstander was in the Pacific Northwest and was being run as the "Berry Wagon" after a cease and desist from Knott's, it was re-painted Flat Back, and was still being raced. The shame of that was, that both of these WERE painted by Ed Roth when he was a Knott's Berry Farm employee. Larry took great pains to keep the original paint, including Roth's signature, whereas the "real" car was painted over and the Roth legacy lost forever!

17. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Here's one that's not abandoned , just waiting for me to finish the flathead dragster, Tim Beebe's 72 satelite Fighting Irish Funny Car

Attached Files:

18. Saxxon

Saxxon

Wow... what a find.
    What balls the guys back then had to run something this radical.

I hope it gets restored to how it was back in the day. I would love to see it cackle or een make some exhibition passes.

Hmmm ... Cackle fest for altered wheelbase cars and gassers .... Hmmm
    Think anyone would show up ??

19. rastiss

rastiss
    from tejas

my brother and i(the short one) with the berry wagon at the world finals back when it was in it's prime.

[​IMG]

we have a pic somewhere with dad in bill's firesuit getting in it. they were messing with some NHRA folks. anyways, my dad's best friend mike schmitt(desert motors fame and also drove our pro stock car) was married to bill shrewsberry's sister linda. linda is the one who took this pic.

i had heard the one that was painted black had been stolen from a storage unit and wrecked at some point. don't know for sure.

20. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

"My friend's uncle bought this.."

[​IMG]

"...he said he knows an old guy with a gasser for sale..."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those were the stories..

21. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG]

22. Sonicjagstang

Sonicjagstang
    from IL.

That is correct about the hook. My dad used this trick in his 35 and 36 Ford coupes as when in 2nd (I believe) it wanted to pop out of gear under a load and in hard cornering. He picked that up from the dirt track guys. Would have been in the late 1940's when he did this.

23. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

was this one pulled outta the weeds and saved? GOD I HOPE SO!

24. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

25. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

Saw this one across the street from a junk yard but the guy wanted no part of selling it.

Attached Files:

26. flat top austin

flat top austin

27. That '57 is so cool......I love the name!

28. is anybody going to save this car?

Attached Files:

29. ya wonder what people are thinkin' that just leave shit rot when it could be saved.

30. tommy v

tommy v

anybody remember this old car, it's the weber- algon car from nor cal bay aera in the 70's [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012