Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone have pictures from first 3 Popular Hot Rodding Nationals US131 Dragway?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 58pontiac, Dec 23, 2012.

1. 58pontiac

58pontiac
    from michigan

I bought an old 58 Pontiac Drag car that was a participant at the first three Popular Hot Rodding Nationals at US131 Dragway in Martin Michigan.
    I believe 1969 was the first year, so pics from 69,70,71?

Would like to find an old picture of the 58 Pontiac.

Here is a shot of the car for reference.

Thanks,
    Tom

Attached Files:

2. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Nice find, along with any info you get on here you may also try classracerforum.com and go to the stock/superstock forum. Jack Maytas is on there and is the best at old Pontiac drag cars. Looking forward to hearing about this cars history. Tom.

3. Tom, I dug out my Oct. 69 issue of PHR that has pictures from the 69 Popular Hot Rodding meet at Martin. No pics of your Pontiac in that issue. Good luck with the hunt.

4. flathead4d

flathead4d

You might Google Detroit Dragway. The had the nationals there in the later 50's and early 60's. Might catch some pictures of it there. Also there is site on Facebook called "Friends of Detroit Dragway" you could check out.

5. 58pontiac

58pontiac
    from michigan

Looks like that superstock forum is a "pay me" site?? Can't view anything without joining.

Thanks John, I'll keep looking.
    Am I correct stating that 1969 was the first year of the event?

-Tom

6. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Not a pay me site. try again. Just was over there and in the nostalgia section is a thread on 58's and Ramon Lowe's car. Sw a car owned by Tony Janes that looks like yours. Tom.

7. Yes you are correct, 69 was the first year.... and I was there. Two friends took cars, Jerry Marquart with his D/A 55 Chevy and John Cocquyt with his G/MP 57 Nomad. PHR did feature articles on both cars later in the season.

8. 58pontiac

58pontiac
    from michigan

Thanks guys.
    I'll try that site again???

9. 58pontiac

58pontiac
    from michigan

The next time your on the site, would you mind "copy" and "pasting" what is in your browser here??

I can't even get to that site you listed? classracerforum.com takes me to a google page that says that domain name isn't available?????

10. 58pontiac

58pontiac
    from michigan

Still no dice, I don't know WTF is up with that website, but it won't let me see anything, and whatever topic forum I try to access, it says there have been no new post's in over 365 days, search feature does nothing but tell me a v bulletin error occurred with my request.

11. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

12. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Thanks Kentuckian, Im trying to do this from an I Pad and it's messing me up. Tom

13. Cool find. I hope some history turns up on the car.

You are planning on taking it back to the as-raced condition - RIGHT?!?!

14. 58pontiac

58pontiac
    from michigan

Yes,
    leaving the exterior pretty much as-is, and building a period correct looking engine with modern hidden internals(more cubes)
    adding some period correct wheels and tires, and would like to hit the meltdown drags, as well as a couple other nostalgic drag events.

I've spent the last 15 years doing frame off restorations, and quite frankly, I'm ready to just have fun with something that you don't have to worry about people walking next to it,breathing on it, or looking at it too close.
    TIME FOR FUN!!!!

15. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Did classracer.com work for you?

16. Please bring it out to Sins Of Steel 1st Saturday in June at the Davisburg Fairgrounds for the Burnout contest....when ya have a cool piece like this you need to share it with the rest of us ha-ha

17. .

Nice plan!!!

X2 on bringing the car to Sins Of Steel. Great show with a killer vibe. The guys there will eat this car up!

18. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Night time bump! Lets help him out.

19. fuzzface

fuzzface

20. 58pontiac

58pontiac
    from michigan

Thanks guy's, I made it over there.
    There were some pretty cool pics of 58's in action.

21. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Their is a Detroit Dragway facebook page. You may want to post over there, if your a member.