Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone have or used a Henrob 2000 torch?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frank, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Frank

Frank

Just curious if anyone has used one. I have one, but I have not had a chance to use it much. I really don't have any one to teach me so I probably just need a lot of practice.

2. trey

trey

I got mine for xmas this year, early. I just got done playing with welding aluminum sheet with it. Fun shit. I havent had the chance to do any cutting with it, but as far as welding goes, you cant beat it. I havent been gas welding long, so it wasnt a big change for me. I like the thing, and cant believe i waited this long to get one.

trey

3. hillbillyhell

hillbillyhell

We have one, and i love it. If you can use a regular torch, you can pretty much use a Henrob. it's just much more precise heat. In thinner material, it cuts almost plasma cutter good, and it's great for gas welding. Read the directions really well, gas flow requirements are fairly specific, and there's a lot of other useful info in there.

4. I just found out the other day becuase of my heart problem( pacemaker) I can't use my wire feed anymore. So I was thinking of getting one of those. Isn't it low pressure? and won't it weld body sheet metal well? Not being able to use arc welders anymore sucks. Anymore info would be cool. Thanks

Mick

5. Put it this way. I DONT know how to gas weld. Or at least I didnt. When we got our Henrob I tried it and could lay down a nice weld in a few practice passes. Of course I never tried to gas weld prior to that...maybe I am a natural?:eek::D

6. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I've had one of these so long it was called a Dillon

I've actually used up a couple tips

Sometimes I need you J torch to get into places but nothing NOTHING is a better gas welding torch

7. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

Ive had mine for a couple of months and do mostly cuting with it and i love it to death (almost as much as the old woman)

8. SnoDawg

SnoDawg

mine is a Dillon also and I like the shit out of it. Took and used to reskin the roof of my Cougar, Worked great easy to control.

Dawg

9. cheaterslick

cheaterslick

So now I gotta ask where is the best deal on new henrobs?

10. tisdelski

tisdelski

11. You know the sad thing? I remember 30 or so years ago seeing the inventor of this welder on a TV show called "the inventors" (strangely enough). It was fantastic, but no one with money had the vision or balls to back him. Yes, it's an Australian invention. He ended up selling it to the US. Still, it's never really been promoted properly or got the success it deserved, but I have to say that just about anyone who has one seems to LOVE it.

12. flatoz

flatoz

like all good aussie inventions X38, what about those blokes from melbourne I think that came up with this machine to copy stuff, couldnt get anyone interested in Australia, but a company in the US called Xerox bought it

the photo copier:mad: poor bastards, their familys missed out on so much...

13. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

Got one last year. It comes with a good "how to" video. After that it is just a matter of practice. It will do a good job of welding aluminum but I am concerned about eye damage and will not do anymore of that until I can find some proper lenses for that kind of glare. It is a great tool if you need to do light welding and if I can do it anyone can. A set of "B" tanks will last forever at 4lbs pressure. Get one! Rusty:)

14. Do you need the low pressure regulators? Are they mandatory?

15. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

Just use your present regulators. The video shows you how to properly adjust the Henrob to the correct pressure with ordinary regulators.

16. trey

trey

You can order the blue filter from Jim. I just cut mine to fit my goggles.

http://www.cut-like-plasma.com/info_safety_products.htm

trey

17. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

Thanks for the website. I called a few welding supply houses in Dallas and they had no idea what I was talking about. Finally found one "old guy" who knew what blue lenses were but said he ahd not seen any in 15 years. Good Grief! Rusty:rolleyes:

18. jimdillon

jimdillon

I've used my Dillon since the eighties and it works great. For welding aluminum I got some lenses back in the eighties from Kent White, the Tinman, they were pricey but your eyes are worth it-I don't know if he still sells them-Jim

19. Thanks Rusty -

20. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

Damn, I love the HAMB!
    I bought a Dillon MK III ! at a tool show OVER 20 years ago. Used it a bit, then it wound up in a drawer.

Got it out last week and thought, "Where the hell are the instructions?" "What size tip vs. pressure?" "Wonder if they STILL make them?"

AND thanks to you guys, I now have an information source. (the web site gives demos TOO!) It's bookmarked!

Oh, and by the way, it's no longer a Dillon or a Henrob; it's now a DHC 2000.
    (no wonder I couldn't find it on the internet!)

21. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

I bo-leave the 'blue lenses' , used to gas weld aluminum in the 30s and40s
    were out lawed by OSHA some years back. I recall that they were called
    'glen' type lenses and could still be found in some welding shops in the 70s.

The 'tinman'-www. tinman sells a newer version at a price, but are reputed
    ta be much safer than the old hippie-blue lenses were.

Does anyone have any experance with the Meco type mini torch? Any better
    deal than the Henrob/Dillon type torch?

22. metalshapes

metalshapes

I've heard that the old blue lenses were no good, as well.
    Weren't they called cobalt lenses?

I guess a lot of Aluminum welders damaged their eyes...

So these new ones are good?

Or just better?

23. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I bought my Henrob when it was called a Dillon also. About the best tool money can buy if your welding sheetmetal. The very low gas and O2 pressure is the key. the low pressure regulators are nice but my torch came with instructions for setting the regulator without using the gauges.

Frank

24. I have a Dillon Mk III.

My dad has a Dillon ......no number....about 30 years old.

I can't weld with a normal torch, I just blow holes. Learnt with the Dillon and will stay with it.

25. CycloneRods

CycloneRods
    from NE Ohio

Hey guys, Eastwood carries them and there are a few guys selling them on ebaY from time to time.

I tried to talk a few buddies into sharing one a year ago, but they were non-believers...... long story short I haven't had it in my garage for more than a few weeks since then!!!:cool:

It is an amazing piece! They got some notarity from none other than Jesse James in his very first Discovery show when he used one on camera for a minute or two forming and butt welding a tank!!!

26. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

I bought my 1st one after using it for heavy aluminum sheet & angle at a company that went belly up, bought it at the auction. I use that now strictly for aluminum such as flathead stuff castings. Fantastic device.

Bought another a few years ago at an estate yard sale, still NIB with a 10 yr old BOS from a Hershey vendor tucked under the insert. Paid $25 which was the price marked on it. That one is used for sheet metal and "plasma" cutting. It makes hammer welding patch panels a cinch.
    Ive also used it to repair cast iron.

If you are going to use regular style gauges be sure they are 2 stage (and in top condition) as the single stage ones dont hold the steady pressure needed for precise work.

27. CycloneRods

CycloneRods
    from NE Ohio

Man that would make it really nice to have two...... great find too!

28. A Boner

A Boner

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  29. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Wraith likes this.
  30. A Boner

A Boner

I read a 100 year old book once.....it had a lot of good information in it. Guess I didn't know a video has an expiration date though.

Gasser 57 likes this.