Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone have info on this 34 Pickup?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ALCAN AV8, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Ebert

Ebert

WELL said! Let's all preserve what we can even if it isn't our cup of tea. When is the last time you saw anything like this?
    Ebert

2. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I love it...
    the best part is the: "Space in Time" on the visor...
    that fucker is TRIPPY.
    makes me wana bust out some mushrooms and buy some bell bottoms...walk around with my shirt off all day talkin about how were gonna CHANGE the WORLD with some long haired blond in bare feet...

I'm pretty sure this is the era where I was concieved...
    so I can't hate it...

Its rad... I would never paint that but I'm tellin you... that things RAD, I would have a hard time changing it...
    thank you for posting pics...
    Tuck

3. ALCAN AV8

ALCAN AV8

Thanks for the info I will pass it on.

4. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

I'm with Tuck on this one ....kinda like Andy Brizio's T

5. ALCAN AV8

ALCAN AV8

Here is a scan from page 14 of the April 1976 issue of "1001 Custom and Rod Ideas." As mentioned above it is the coverage for the 1976 Denver World of Wheels show.

[​IMG]

Has anyone else seen this truck before or know anything about it?

6. 31whitey

31whitey

LOVE IT

wouldnt change a thing....

Tuck said it best....

7. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Looks like hell.. Maybe because I grew up during those days and hated the burnout paint jobs even then. I'd strip that in a San Franciscan "Hade Ashbury" minute. Yuk!

8. bigken

bigken

Rick, come on man, you and I both saw that paint job with our eye's closed - YEARS AGO..... hehehehe
    I would not change a thing, and drive the wheels off of it.

9. Shifter

Shifter

I agree, this looks like Art Himsl's or (HIMSL and HAAS) style from the '70's. I believe Andy Brizio built a C-cab style tow truck and a C-cab delivery for shows in the early '70's with a very similar paint scheme. Like eveythings though, there were others that did try to copy this style.
    http://www.streetrodderweb.com/milestones/0208sr_mod_rod_milestone/index.html
    http://www.streetrodderweb.com/milestones/0503sr_andys_milestone_t_bucket/index.html

10. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

There is still a "Terry Ward" listed in Westminster (correct spelling), Colorado. The listing is for a younger person so it may be an offspring. It would be worth a phone call.
    People love to here about an old car that they once owned!

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

My first 34 PU used the Pinto shifter. Same thing as a Mustang just cheaper.:) A classic hot rod junk yard part.

I never liked that style of paint when it was all the rage so I'd be inclined to strip it but it does represent a short period in our history. I once wore polyester bell bottom pants too but I'm not looking to find another pair.:D

That's a tough one. I can see reasons to keep it as it is but it's not my cup of tea.

12. ALCAN AV8

ALCAN AV8

13. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I grew up building hot rods--and rode around in a lot that looked like this. It's vintage 70's all the way--but unless it has some real history there's a reason (other than bell bottoms and the pea green shag carpet) the 70's should be forgotten.

14. JustplainJ

JustplainJ
    from so.cal.

Ringling bros. barnum and Baily circus!

15. I would have to keep it that way for a few years and see if I could come up with a real reason to change it........hell by that time it might be the IN thing again!

16. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

That truck is haunting me from somewhere in the 70's. I believe i saw it in Columbus one year back then. I know I've walked around it looking at the paint and wondering, WHY? Himsl and Brizio did have similar paint jobs in those years.
    I guess by not participating in the culture of the 70's (I was in my 30's then and a product of a military upbringing) I'm at a loss to explain a lot from that era.

Frank

17. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

DING! We've got a winner! Give that man a cigar.

Stick it in a barn and forget about it for about ten years. Then we can read about the barn find survivor on the HAMB!

18. phukinartie

phukinartie

this is the last time i will take acid and go online!!!!

19. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

i love it!!! then again i'm always high.

20. Keep away from the brown acid, its bad :)
    Chuck some pie crusts on the back, take off all the cheesy trinket stuff and it will take on a differnet look.
    Is that a Jim Morrison face next to the door..........

21. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

Thats funny as i always say the 50s should be forgotten and yes i lived through the 50s.and hated it.

22. HotRod33

HotRod33

I'll send a DA sander to finish up what the paint stripper doesn't get..........

23. RichG

RichG

Don't touch it!

It's not cool today, well, then doesn't that define cool? With all the haters you'll be unique. Yeah, it's weird, but it's hot rod history. Do I like the paint? Not really, but in context with what it is, I LOVE the paint!

How many lace panel jobs got covered in the eighties with pastel crap? How many big bass boat flake jobs got buried in a sea of blue, their chrome destroyed for that monochromatic trash? If you repaint that truck, I guarantee you will regret it...just my opinion.:)

24. Damn! It gives me flashbacks to the 70"s! It's kind of neat in an old funky way, like looking at what you looked like (like your hair and clothes) and what you did back in those days. And as an added bonus it has the four wheel drive look too!

25. Tuck said it right! Leave it alone!
    Listen to Norwell too, raise the front an inch or two and it'll be perfect!

-Shiny