Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone have a problem with me doing this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Great idea, Ryan. I lurk all over this place daily and my interests are so varied that I'm afraid I might miss something. SIMPLICITY IS THE ESSENCE OF DESIGN!
    Chuck

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  2. 46stude

46stude

I think its been a massive mistake to divide up the HAMB at all. There was nothing wrong with the way it was- there just needed to be more moderators to weed out the OT stuff.

All the new forums have members scratching their heads & lost in what the HAMB "is" now. Strictly trad only, except for trad styled- as long as it meets a vague description that seems to be widely varied at any given time.

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I totally disagree. I'm in love with the period forums we have now... And will never be without them.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. I have to totally agree. I still spend most of my time in the general forum so I can see a bit of everything but I LOVE the ability to go to the custom forum and quickly see the stuff that interests me the most without having to scroll through pages and pages of posts.

5. Customizing, it`s at the root of this obsession. Sometimes it gets good reviews, sometimes ...not so much. I am liking the current configuration but always open to a newer version.

6. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

I know what you mean. I have always been a huge fan of the early 60's custom look, and I always will. This forum is the best place to find well executed examples of this style. I am also a fabrication junkie and some of the most impressive suspension upgrades and chassis set ups I have ever seen have been showcased here and now seem to be weeded out even though they would seem to fit perfectly in the traditionally styled forum. I miss the old hamb but I do understand the reasoning behind the recent forum changes. I look forward to the next round of changes here.

7. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

There are still a quarter of a million people to keep straight no matter how many forums they post in... ;)

8. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

I think you're objections are more related to a desire for the HAMB to be something different than it ever was or will be.

9. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Not true, unless you missed the fact that the traditional styled forum exists.

The "traditional styled" forum was created for cars that are not 100 percent traditional built. Look traditional but have upgrades. T5s, overdrive, disc brakes..keeps them out of the 100 percent traditional hot rod and custom forums which keeps them from getting diluted. Lets the HAMB grow without compromising the complely traditional subforums. The boss made the forum, not me, and I think it is a great way to make a place for guys like me who love the style of old cars but not the underpinnings. Overall win win IMO, my only request was some leniancy on the hidden upgrades.

I am not looking to start any trouble, I like the forum and am hoping to be able to continue to do build threads and participate with the group. Standing on the sidelines gets old quick!

10. T Fritz

T Fritz

Your changes will work quit well.

T Fritz

11. D type

D type
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

THANKS for asking -------- go for it

12. dadseh

dadseh

Continuous improvement is what it's all about Ryan...go for it.

13. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Ryan.

Thanks for asking. I believe that the inclusion of a "Traditionally Styled" forum has been a welcome enhancement, I for one would like to see it continue.

14. 51wagon

51wagon
    from northwoods

Ryan,

Your idea is my ideal.

Thanks for your efforts.

No good deed goes unpunished.

15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Here's how I see it:

In a way, I've painted myself in a corner. I saw how incredible the two focused period forums were during the "test" and knew I couldn't live without them ever again. So, I jumped right in and created one for "styled" as well along with an option for users to see it all with the "aggregate" forum. Which is cool, but the problem is that we have so many damned threads that need to be moved into the appropriate forums that I feel completely over whelmed. It will take years of work to get em all moved... if ever...

Meanwhile, folks are seeing these older threads get bumped to the top in the "discussions and happenings" forum and figuring that's where their thread should go as well. I'd be all pissed at them and just delete their thread, but I kind of get why they are doing what they are doing. It's not their fault.

So, now due to my excitement for the focused forums we are kind of in a weird place. And I haven't figured out what to do it about yet... Meanwhile, the redesign looms...

I'm going to keep things how they are until I'm damn sure (again) that I have things figured. I'm afraid if I make another change, and then change it again, and then again... that I'll piss all you folks off to no end... and I damn sure don't wanna do that.

Thanks for your patience folks. I'm using all the brain I have... and that ain't much!

R.

16. gtowagon

gtowagon

I really like the traditionally styled forum and like the split of the other forums makes it a lot easier to follow threads I think this version works very well it could be worse take a look at the PY forum

17. I like the idea....

18. Are you having doubts about this format?

Computers and message boards are NOT traditional either Ryan. I'm just sayin'.

19. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure sounds good. Now let me post my hemi fiberglass build.

20. I'm down as long as traditionally "styled" vehicles find a home somewhere. And even if I disagreed, Hell, you know what you're doing.

21. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are we there yet?

I have ta go to the baffroom.

Suzy keeps touching me.

I'm cold.

I'm hungry.

I'm feel sick.

My butt itches.

22. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Rickybop's butt itches...too much information

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

Simpler and easier is always better. Go for it Ryan.

24. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

That did it! I'm going over to KillBillet...

25. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

All ass kissing aside ,this is the reason this forum stays relevant and exciting. The guy behind the wheel actually gives a shit about the members.

26. "Thanks for your patience folks. I'm using all the brain I have... and that ain't much!"

That's what I smelled burning!

27. jimbousman

jimbousman

I don't have a problem with any of this but I have to admit some of it seems a bit more than I can get my old fart feeble mind around but as long as I can get the info I have always come to enjoy from this site, I'm happy...well maybe deranges is a better description.

One note on the basic rules. I understand them and I also understand my ride does not fit the profile. I've got no problem with that. Bottom line there is too much great info here not to be a part of it. I've built old and although I am building "new-tech/old", I can still remember tapping in my first king pin in my A coupe and prying out my first set of valve guide keepers on my '41 Flatty.

PARTY ON!!