Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone have a lowbuck metal machine?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Patdoody, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Patdoody

Patdoody

I love the idea of a english wheel, louver press, bead roller, shrink/stretcher, planishing hammer all in one machine. Anyone build one or use this guys attachments before?

I think I might try one out.

http://www.lowbucktools.com/MM1.html

2. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I have several of Dave's other tools, not the metal machine. The downside that I see, is changing between the different machines if you need to. But I would imagine that, like most of his tools, it's a good compromise that gives you the tool to help you make your parts.

My question would be, which tools are you thinking about buying?

3. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very interesting. You could build up your collection as you go along and need them I'd be interested as to who has actually used these and what their opinions are.

4. Patdoody

Patdoody

Mostly interested in the ewheel and the louver press.

5. BMR

BMR
    from ill.

i have a louver press and it works pretty good if u take your time

6. SPE

SPE
    from GA/AL

I have built one and I like it. I built my frame like he suggests using 2x4x.25 steel. Plenty strong. Came across an article in Rod and Custom mag and liked the idea of having one frame instead of multiple machines. One man show, customer service is tops. I bought the planishing hammer and louver press. Works! Geared towards the home garage guy. Plus I like the Made in America stickers.

7. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

I can comment about the "lowbucks machine", but the thing I've noticed about ''general purpose'' machines, be they machine, woodworking or metalshaping tools is that they don't do anyone thing really well! If your end use is just for small/lite patch panels this would work, but if you're going for larger/serious metal work a full sized machine is what you'll end up wishing you had to begin with. A good amount of set-up time is generally required to change tooling, and that can be a drag if you're in a hurry.
    But on the other hand, you've four fingers and a thumb, no, but the idea on "Lowbucks '' bein a family run 'merican company has major appeal if you're not big on the Chi-Comm military and the support there of.

"..........is graffiti on the walls of history "

8. jerseymike

jerseymike

just curious how the louver press is powered? is this a hand powered, manual punch or am i missing something? don't see any mention of hydraulics. thanks, jerseymike

9. fbama73

fbama73

X2!

But with patience and time, I bet you can get some good metal out of it.

10. Patdoody

Patdoody

I def understand on the multi use machines not being the most precision instruments. I am also not doing any production work, or pebble beach restorations. I think I might go for it after Christmas when I can see what my funds will be like.

11. sounds like my plan of attack also-have been thinking about it for the louver press and planishing hammer as well

12. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anyone on the HAMB actually bought one of these? I'm interested to know what you think of it.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks ideal for a guy working on his own stuff in his already too tight home garage. But as someone else said, every time you wanted to change tooling you would have to stop and spend the time to set up the other tool. That would work for some and be a pain in the butt for others. Probably the same reason you see a lot of lightly used Shopsmith woodworking setups for sale that have been sitting in the corner of someone's home workshop for years. But it can't be any bigger pain in the butt than moving three pieces of equipment out of the way to use the one you want to use and I do that every time I work out in the garage.

14. azmidget91

azmidget91

You could always build more than 1 "c throat" then you would have individual tools....and once you buy the first faceplate you could duplicate it for the next c throat (saves you the $89 he charges for a piece of steel with 8 holes drilled in it)

15. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You've read my mind,Mr48chev!

16. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

I bought his louver press and made my own frame. Good stuff, I have punched louvers into 16 gauge steel so it's pretty stout.

17. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great idea!