Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anyone have a Hamb friendly daily driver wagon?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 24, 2020.

1. I like the Chevy II wagon idea as Pete Eastwood showed the potential. A little smaller to make easier parking and maneuvering around the businesses than a full size wagon. Yet still has a lot of room in the back for those deliveries. Keep it near stock with the 6 cyl and an automatic, be very reliable and easy for the employees to drive when you aren't driving it. Put some add-on A/C for driver comfort.

Tman, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  2. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not in the flower delivery business but given the advent of helium balloon bouquets you might want to consider an older van like an Econoline or Dodge A100 instead of a wagon for the added roof height. With the added head room it would be easier to get the balloons inside. Just a thought.

4. Brenda has quit doing the balloons, the nursing homes & hospitals don't allow latex balloons anymore they have to be mylar and the schools will not except them.

The problem beyond that is helium has gotten insane.

We have a 244 cubic foot tank that cost us over 350 bucks and to fill it has spiraled up to 300 bucks and if a absentminded employee forgets close the valve the flexible filler will let the entire tank leak out over a weekend.

When we need a mylar balloon we go to party city and by one for a few bucks. HRP

dana barlow and 3W JOHN like this.
  5. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like I said I'm not in the flower business. Obviously you have a good handle on the situation so a wagon soundslike it will fill the need more so than a van. That said, if the right van came along it would look cool with some period graphics for the shop. Again, IMO.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. Brenda grew up working in her grandmothers flower shop and Miss Jessie had a fleet of unique delivery vehicles, naturally she had the '54 Ranch Wagon that is at home in our garage, but she also had a 4 door 57 Chevy wagon, a pristine 60 Chevy wagon, a 64 econoline van and a 23 window VW van.

I wouldn't turn down a nice Econoline van or a A-100 at a good price. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  7. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

As far as a daily driver, my ’51 Plymouth is still my favorite. Drove it for years with the six and 3 speed and later changed to a 318 and automatic.

51 plm.jpg

I think the Falcon/Comet wagons are a good choice since the mechanical parts are easy to get. My ’64 Comet was our family car for many years and probably the most dependable car I have had, 289 and three speed. Don't drive it much anymore as my old knee does not like the clutch action.

64 Comet2.jpg

8. That Comet is a good looking car. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  9. Are those mag's 14" or 15"? HRP

[​IMG]

1morecarIpromise! likes this.
  10. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

With the Midwest weather, it's tough to drive old cars daily... But I've been enjoying our '62 Ford wagon as much as possible. Still a good old work horse! It was converted to a T5 5-speed, which seems to really help the Y-block push the car around well. I've added disc brakes up front and a 4-barrel intake w/ Edelbrock 500 cfm carb. Great driver --

62wagon.jpg

11. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Those are older Cragars 14”, 6” front, 7” rear.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. Nick, do you still have the '62 sedan? HRP

13. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Why do you say that?

14. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Because.
    Show me the paint chips..!

Mike

15. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Fair enough. Here's a few :D
    20200629_205612.jpg 20200629_205650.jpg 20200629_205830.jpg 20200629_210022.jpg 20200629_210037.jpg

16. arkiehotrods likes this.
  17. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I sold it in 2009, went through a couple owners, back to me for a bit, sold to a friend, one more owner after that. He was in an accident with it. Was bad enough to end up at insurance auction and last I heard it was in a salvage yard in Missouri.

IMG_20181018_174356.jpg

IMG_20181018_174409.jpg

18. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

The body is HAMB-friendly but my engine isnt. And I do drive it every day.
    AA9EC7BC-3CC1-4F15-B3AD-5A41A59DCCCC.jpeg

19. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

Drive train details?

20. rusty valley

rusty valley

i really like pete eastwoods wagon. i have said for decades now that if i lived in a salt free environment that would be my daily. i do like my hondas though, 91 crxhf=55mpg

Roothawg likes this.
  21. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

‘02 ls1, 4L60e, 9” 350 posi.

22. Seon

Seon

My Nomad, Yeoman and Chevelle wagons

Wagons2.jpg

23. indyjps

indyjps

Great thread, sent you an PM.
    I think finding a good wagon or starter thats solid and complete is the biggest hurdle. The wagon specific parts are the ones to watch for when buying the car.

The rest is pretty standard stuff. Drivetrain, Brakes, Suspension, A/C, body and paint, interior.

Depending on what you find, I think new SUV's and vans would be a honey pot of interior goodies, seats and convenience items, if you can avoid the plastic look.

Wagons I've seen for sale are either picked over parts donors, or complete with a lot of rust basically hauled out to the back 40.

24. larry k

larry k

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Rough but ready !!!

25. Roothawg

Roothawg

I had a Chevy II wagon and I was super disappointed after owning full frame wagons. The ride was subpar at best and I spent a lot of money on Church Boys arms etc. My advice is stay away from the subframe cars. Mid 50’s GM would be my choice.

26. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I always love wagons,any brand,from my first old used 57 Ford wagon I got in early 1965.
    I used wagons as my tow car for my race cars/trailer,never owned a pickup truck in over 40 years of racing.

So from that first used one in 1965,I've now owned 18 wagons,never a new one,just used.
    All but the last 3 were HAMB freindly. #18 maybe my very last ? Dodge Magnum,but is my first ever Dodge.
    Starting with a few Fords an then a few Merc.,one Rambler an one Chevy. But none laterly in last 20 years, HAMB good year wise.

27. My dad like sedan delivery's & wagons, I was a van guy and have had a several over the years, Getting the '54 Ranch Wagon back on the road has had a lot to do with my interest in wagons, and I appreciate the PM's we had helping me decide to buy Brenda a Magnum for her daily transportation, we are actively looking for another hamb friendly wagon for a extra back up. HRP

dana barlow likes this.
  28. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Danny, something like this might be just what you need. 55 Ford wagon w torque thrusts .jpg

29. derbydad276

derbydad276

get a hold of Denise... ( hotrodladycruiser) .. she said a while back .. that
    she was putting The Cookie Pusher up for sale