Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone have a hallock windshield frame?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nick_c, Nov 2, 2012.

1. BarryA

BarryA

Pretty much what I did on this handmade frame:
    [​IMG]

Been in the car for two years now and driven all over South Africa, with no issues.

Attached Files:

2. nick_c

nick_c
    from texas

This is the current state of the frame.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. NoLifeTilLeather

NoLifeTilLeather

by dash rail are you talking about the cowl trim that covers up the stanchion posts on a 30-31?

I'm interested if it is - PM me. I need one for when I install my DuVall

4. weez

weez

The groove in my Hallock was milled by Mike Parti, he used a 3/8" keyway bit on a mill-

He said he had to come at it from each end and meet in the middle, since one end is flat on the inside and the other end is flat on the outside. Sounded tricky-

I've had mine since '93 and have always had 1/4" plex in it with butyl holding it in... Now that the car's getting redone I'm gonna get glass finally, and get it filed and polished and all that!

5. weez

weez

When you use a Hallock, you have to figure out a way to finish off the edge of the cowl above the dash, since the stock dash rail sits above it. You need a custom dash rail, or modified dash from another car, (mine has a '40 Ford dash I modified to step-fit under the cowl edge.)

6. NoLifeTilLeather

NoLifeTilLeather

I have seen dash rails that were manufactured specifically for this purpose, there was a thread on here somewhere that showed one - i believe it was the Ford commercial version

7. mcbay

mcbay

Shit! Now everybody's got a "Hallock Style" windshield.:)
    I am getting ready to machine my frame after 15 years.
    If you use a liquid sealant the glass needs to be indexed in the slot or you risk cracking it either in service or installation and if it does break its a bitch getting out.
    Glass shops have rubber channel they use. My advise is to have a sample of glass and the rubber in hand before any milling is begun so you can do a sample and dry fit. My rubber has serration's that will keep it in the groove and shoulders that make a sano job. Camera refused to take a close up.

Attached Files:

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I might as well ask... Since Steve Sellers is no longer making these, is there anybody else that is casting them at this time? I passed on a bare casting at LARS about 12 years ago (terminally broke) and have regretted it ever since. I mean, the power company could have only shut the lights and A/C off that once, right?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  9. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

I don't , sounds like to much like work.

10. alchemy

alchemy

This is a 30-31 dash rail only. Works/looks really nice. But no such thing for the 28-29's. Gotta make your own.

11. weez

weez

Another good idea is a '32 Sedan/5Wcoupe dash with the corners curved down to match the A cowl edge, that looks pretty good and not too hard to do.

The '40 dash was a project, cause I had to make the whole top and corners of it.

12. I used a 41 Willys dash in mine. A perfect width with just a little tab on each end to fill the small gap. I welded this right to stock gas tank. It takes some doing to get one of these into the car. I love mine.

Attached Files:

13. NoLifeTilLeather

NoLifeTilLeather

mine is a 30-31 roadster. I was only joking about buying the ops hallock from him - i am actually running a duvall

14. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

Steves out of bis.............

15. nick_c

nick_c
    from texas

Where did you get your rubber.

16. PTBrucer

PTBrucer

We did mine like Curbspeed says. But cutting the groove is the tricky part.

17. If you don't have a mill, even a small one and a fly cutter then any machine shop should be able to mill your channel. You need the channel. Any glass shop will have the rubber, if they have ever done say, a normal Model A roadster windshield or even side windows in something like a 62 Impala or any car with a chrome frame around the side window glass. Simple stuff. To set the glass it should cost way less than $100.

I'm really sad to hear about Steve Sellers business. I just sold a bunch of Ford 94's trying to gather some cash to buy one of those great pieces. I'd be happy with rough cast aluminum.

Let me know if there's one floating around out there for sale. I'm seriously thinking of fabbing one from aluminum plate.

18. He's taking orders for a late January run. Look him up on facebook

19. Stretchmobile

Stretchmobile
    from So Cal

Kerosene, cleans wet urethane off the glass and you. :D

20. Another option would be to order a windshield from a reliable HAMB Alliance Vendor who has three of them in stock with the channel cut and hardware. And if you're a HAMB Alliance Member you get 10% off. These are made from the second generation tooling that Steve was using when he closed shop and sold me all of his tooling, inventory and fixtures. If you have any questions you can e-mail me directly at [email protected] or call me at 1-508-248-1555.

http://www.obrientruckers.com/ecom/product/254/2744/

http://www.obrientruckers.com/ecom/category/254/

Dennis O'Brien

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  21. Dennis does em right.

22. MARKIV

MARKIV
    from arizona

I am looking for a dash rail for the Hallock (28-29) is there still on out there for sale?

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

You usually don't use a dash rail as such with a Hallock type windshield. That's why these guys are talking about different dash combinations when using this windshield. I'm sure if you are wanting to use your stock "A" dash (you couldn't use the tank though) you could fairly easily form what you need from half round stock to cover the hard lip of the tank.

24. Hi Nick - I now have a Hallock Windshield from Sellers Equipped that I need to have the channel groove machined. What did you end up doing with yours? Did you find a relatively easy way to get it done?? I'd appreciate any pointers you can offer. Thanks!

25. Harry Shaffert in Tacoma can do it for you. He did mine years ago. I do not have his number but I'm sure someone does on here. He is an old time machinist. I remember he bought a flycuttter to do mine way back when. Good luck.