Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone going to okc nsra this weekend?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Redbows35panel, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Redbows35panel

Redbows35panel

My son and I are leaving the Greenville, Texas area around noon on Thursday. Anyone going that way is welcome to tag along.:)

2. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

I think everyone in TX will be headed to Lonestar Round Up

and many many people from OUT of Texas as well...........

let us know how the 280 Z section is at the NSRA show

3. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

All the kool people will be at the round up, looking at kustoms and hot rods, the street rods are soo 1980............... footnote . this is just my oppinion and doesn't reflect the views of others and wasn't meant in anyway to be hatefull or harmfull to others, and is just the way of life that some of the outcast types choose to live life.

4. We'll be there since its so close. I'm a little worried this year though. It's usually pretty street roddish naturally but with a goodly number of "traditional cars" if ya look hard enough. 280 Z section? Yeah, probably that and more since they changed the rules!!! WTF!

5. I just cant see anyone choosing a Goodguys event over the Roundup...........

6. apound

apound

I'm already committed to OK City. Wish the roundup was a different weekend. I'll be in Jefferson the next weekend.

7. apound

apound

We should be coming through about then. I'll keep an eye out for your panel

8. Alan,see ya next week end here in the piney woods...
    Hope Jeff is comin also..

9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

It's actually worse then that....choosing a NSRA event over the RoundUp.:rolleyes:

10. AMEN,Denise.....see ya at Reggies

11. apound

apound

I'm sure he will be in Skinner's sat night.

12. apound

apound

gotta work my "free" job

13. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Save a hug for me sweetie!:cool:

14. You can count on it...for sure... Have a safe trip too

15. The Nats are less than 15 miles away, plus no bucks to go to Austin. So, yeah, I'm going.

I'm sure the local Gestapo will be out in force on Meridian this weekend to keep any potential fun at bay. I continue to be surprised as to why NSRA puts up with such a hostile environment as the City of OKC gub'mint-types lays out for them every year.

16. apound

apound

I remember how fun Meridian used to be. Now they act like you are a baby killing pervert if you try and get to your hotel on Meridian. Yeah, can't say the local fuzz is happy to see us. Now with the late model cars they will probably be worse.

17. 1320stang

1320stang
    from Edmond, OK

I remember back in the late 80's, early 90's, a guy surfing on top of a Ryder truck on Meridian, guys running a garden hose from the hotel to the street so guys could do a water burn out, my buddy 'Doc' running out into the street at the stop light and lining a blown T-bucket up against some coupe and them running for about 100-200 feet, and a black highway patrol man pulling up as the guys hide the hose as he stopped and scanned the crowd and then lit them up as the crowd went nuts. Probably what stopped it was the kid in the ratty GM muscle car that lit 'em up in the southbound lane then spun out and crashed into an old man in a Fairmont in the outside northbound lane who had no idea what was going on on the street then was trying to find a witness and no one stepped up. I was a young 20 something and didn't know if you had to witness the whole thing or not, everyone jumped to their feet as the kid came across and I missed the last half of the spin out. We were more worried about getting hit than him hitting another car, stupid kid. That was the end of it as far as I know.

18. Redbows35panel

Redbows35panel

Never been nor heard of the Round Up, Until I found the H.A.M.B. and that wasn't very long ago. NSRA events have been around for a long time and used to be fun. Course I haven't been in a number of years. So when I finally reached a point where I had the time and the resources to go I chose NSRA. I do worry a little about the 30 year rule. But I'm to old to be much more than a looker now anyway. My son being a Rod builder, wants to spend time in the manufacturers area, seeing what's new and available. Haven't seen anyone mentioning an area like that at the Round Up. Seem like most of the threads about the Round Up are PARTY, PARTY, PARTY. And there's nothing wrong with that, if your young enough. Maybe next year the Round Up on a different weekend and will be on my priority list, right behind Cruisin-the-Coast.

19. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

Hey Redbows35 we're leaving thurs. a.m. too. Maybe we can meet up in Denton or Gainsville and convoy from there. The Round Up folks that handle the vendors still won't allow a pinstriper to have a tent to work under for shade to cool the metal and protection from the wind, dirt,and grass. He said pinstripers have to ROAM the grounds pushing or dragging their wagons. Taco and Ice Cream vendors do that... not PRO PINSTRIPERS!!! NSRA offered me a great deal so we'll be layin' down the lines in OKC. :cool: I will be giving 10% discount to HAMB members in OKC so you folks come by the booth and check it out! OLD SCHOOL ART "Live to Paint, Paint to Live".

20. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

There is a whole section here on the HAMB that talks about all the different things that are going on during the RoundUp weekend.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49

The Friday morning garage crawl is something that NSRA doesn't have. Stopping and checking out a number of hot rod/custom builders shops and garages is something hard to beat. A Texas style BBQ on Thursday afternoon at Reggies personal shop is also a must attend and something that NSRA doesn't offer....especially at no charge.

Not sure if the OK NSRA nats has a swap meet BUT the one at the RoundUp is large and geared toward tradtional hot rod and custom stuff.

One of my favorite things about the RoundUp which I have yet to see beat is the AWESOME art vendors. I spend more at the RoundUp on original hot rod style art pieces then at any other event. First class artist with reasonable prices. Can't get that at any NSRA event.

Also, the FREE music everywhere you go.....music that suits my taste......not 50's DJ stuff. There's parking lots along Congress, concerts at some of the top shops in Texas (ASS and Mercury Charlies), free music is everywhere. AND speaking of parking lots on Congress, there's a FREE drive in movie playing in one of them.

I'm old too and I don't really party like I use to. With that being said I would prefer to hang out at a venue with tons of fun-er activities that will keep me feeling and acting younger then one that is stagnat with a ton of cars that don't suit my taste.

Just giving ya some food for thought for next year.;)

21. OKC has a swap meet with the event. Pretty decent, too. Not ginormous, but plenty of stuff to look/buy.

Look for me with my '56 wagon on a trailer out in the swap area, and say "hi". Saying "hi" with cash would be better!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  22. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

Yes we will be there.

23. Thinking about it since I won't be heading to Austin this year...

24. Blown Mopar

Blown Mopar
    from abc

I'll be too busy getting my '95 Suburban ready for the next year change.

25. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope to drive down Saturday Morning for the day. I've had a death in the family
    so I can't make the trip to Austin this year. We will be in the late model since the
    Merc is kind a tore down. See ya this weekend.

Happy Trails,

Mick

26. Young enough? The HAMB is often nowhere near "young". Definitely young at heart but the HAMB sponsored events I've been to weren't full of "wipper-snappers"!:D

The HAMB Drags is THE place to be. The Cinematic was SO great Ryan had to put an end to it because he could just feel it was gonna be huge. Really, yeah these folks can party, but they are the BEST people on earth. HAMB Snapple.

I'm only 26, but I have an uncle pushing 60 who loves the Roundup...and I wish I could make it back to be there with him.

B.M.

27. fifTsix

fifTsix
    from TEXAS

Austin TX or bust.....

28. Redbows35panel

Redbows35panel

Thanks for the food, the more you know the easier it is to decide. A couple of Good Guys friends said they were going to try the Round Up this year instead of NSRA. I'll get their opinions in the next couple of weeks also. I'm not really into that show sittin either. I'd prefer to be Cruisin. Guess that's why I enjoy Cruisin-the Coast so much.

As for Thursday, I'd like to get away from here between 11:00 and 11:30. We will wonder through the country to Sherman, where we hit 82 to Gainsville. Then it's, hookem North to OKC.:cool:

29. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Coming from the North to OKC. Vending. It will be interesting to see what happens this year. If the local cops got up tight with the street rods they will be pissing their pants if a few more than the usual late models lightum up. I accidently got caught up in the maylay on Meridian 2 years ago and the local law told that the street was closed and to find some other way to the hotel. Good thing I had GPS or I'd still be hunting for my room.

30. The overlords of OKC, aka City Council, Mayor, Fair Board, and the other monied "elite" snobs are BIG horse fans, and will kiss the asses of anyone connected with horses. Of course, this did not prevent the National Finals Rodeo ($50M event for OKC every year!) from relocating to Vegas - hell, the powers-that-be felt the NFR would NEVER dare leave OKC; but they, and their money, did.

The powers in OKC hate anything that people can enjoy for free, i.e. Meridian cruising and hanging out during the Nats. If they can't tax it, collect a fee or charge admission, they do not want it.

Again, I would not be at all surp[rised if NSRA tells OKC to kiss their ass very soon. Oklahoma City gub'mint has a tradition of running fun things out of town - look at the Fairgrounds Speedway as a prime example.

You guys have fun at the Roundup. Spend a $hitpot full of money in Austin. It's that much less $$$ that gets spent in OKC. Once the NSRA leaves OKC for good, only then MIGHT the city fathers realize they screwed up a good thing. The later cars don't bother me, BTW. And the cutoff is 1980, not 2010, as some that are worried about PT Cruisers have apparently thought.