Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone get OCD about their build?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by poboyross, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Gerg

Gerg

I have OCD does that count?

2. classicmike

classicmike

I can relate also, I have 24 cars, 3 current projects, 2 future projects and 3 garages full of parts, some of which are for cars I sold years ago. I can't possibly live long enough to complete them all. My kids are going to have a field day unwinding my STUFF.

3. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

How about ADOS.....Attention Defficent OOOOOH SHINEY!!!:eek::eek:

4. PhoenixFear

PhoenixFear

I do to a certain extent, but that's because I drive a Jeep. If I do something on that Jeep that isn't done exactly right, you can bet it won't perform good or will break. My first project was that way, my friend and I started off rigging stuff up, then later on in the build we had to end up fixing stuff we fabbed and rigged, so we just decided to do it the right way after that.
    I do end up trying to be a perfectionist though, I end up having a lot harder time building stuff but I end up more satisfied than if I keep saying "good enough" and then at the end I look at it and get disappointed in some "good enoughs" I had.

5. beauishere

beauishere

I don't know what letters or initials represent what your talking about, but I can relate. I have been the last 4.5 years building a tribute to an existing car that nobody really knew the details about. For every part we put on, we took two off. Each new bit of knowledge we gained, we'd back up and correct it. It just had to be right. Everyone I know thinks I nuts, and I don't disagree. We're nearly finished so I just may avoid therapy, but I know I'll never copy something again.

6. mikeco

mikeco
    from virginia

Sold my 62 vette 25 years ago got to where I was scared to drive it cause it was so nice & wasn't fun anymore. Drove my 34 chevy cpe. for 3 years in primer,painted it & sold it a mth. later.

Now as long as its safe & looks decent & I like it,thats all that matters.You drive them & stuff happens lifes to short to worry.

7. I have OCD since I was born you can read from my original post 32 Hot Rod Lincoln. I am never happy I have to keep on finding something wrong with the car to keep me going. I know exactly what you are talking about.

Thanks
    Frenchy

8. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I just have OCD period...

9. fatkoop

fatkoop

I hate myself. I am never quite satisfied with the quality of work I do. I re-do some things so many times I wear the damn parts out, or change my mind, then I start over, again. But I figure this is hot rodding/customizing, not general automobile mechanics. There should be no time frame here. (but it would be nice to see the end in sight!) It really is all about workmanship and details. Your project represents you. It's very individual, very personal. I tell myself, "You should try to get whatever you build as good as possible, shouldn't you?" "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right, isn't it?? OK, now I feel a little better. Tomorrow, I'm going to take another look at what I did today, and I swear, I'm going to try to fix that ..............AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

10. I am not at all consumed by this rhetorical topic. Getting it "Perfect" as a goal is admirable. Thats why my version or interpretation of it is the same as its always been...I like things to present well, but not go so far overboard that the appearance (shiney paint, chrome, bling, etc) becomes primary and the enjoyment of the car on the road becomes secondary to appearance. I wont be grinding down and smoothing out all the welds on the frame, I am going to brush paint the frame black so I can easily touch it up later, the body will be nice but not "show car", the engine isnt an all-out 700 horse but it will fit the car's personality well, and I like the idea that I have designed it & hand-made or modified many of the parts on my car myself, which puts my "stamp" on it. To me, being compulsive about being perfect is OK. Its all about how far each of us wants to carry our passion. To sit and fret about each detail takes more time away from enjoying your passion, in my book, unless you are into the PEBBLE BEACH mentality...in which case GO FOR IT, if thats your thing. just my 2 cents.....

11. Docco

Docco
    from Ippy

I know people ith OCD when it comes to cars and there so wrapped up i sweating about all the small shit that doesn't matter they have trouble tackling the big shit.
    Relax, its a hobby, have fun, be prepared to stuff up and learn to fix it right.

12. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Sometimes is good to trash something. Smash the hell about and of something and start over. Tends to clear the mind and sit ya staight. Now, if it get expensive you may want someone else to fuck it up for you. Howerer, it's in the eye of the beholer a

13. cali707sf

cali707sf

I second that one... It's being ANAL... and im the same way.....

14. shock733

shock733
    from Florida

I wear latex gloves just so I don't get OCD. You never know who these old Fords have been with.

15. briz

briz

I remember being told that most art is never really finished, its just abandoned.
    The guy that told me this relayed a story about a famous artist( I forget the name) who would touch up completed paintings. He was once caught upstairs while at a friends party, where he knew one of his paintings was. He had hidden brushes and paints in his jacket, and was working on a painting completed years before. Afterward he had to submit to being patted down whenever visiting his friends home.

I have been as OCD as anyone about car projects, but at some point I just have to let it go. After all, were doing this for fun, for enjoyment, for satisfaction, right?
    If it gits you the happy...

16. twistedconcepts

twistedconcepts
    from England

I have it with everything!! I even have to have all the screws in the light fittings and wall sockets in the same direction!!! When zip tieing in looms I have to have all the zip tie heads in the same direction throught out the whole car! Or the one I spot all the time is the direction of water clips not being the same!!!! OCD!!!!

17. fef100

fef100

I wouldn't say OCD, but I just like to have everything just right.
    I guess that's why I am still working on mine.

18. BBobb

BBobb

Build it safe....and drive the shit out of it!!!

19. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

as i get older it seems that way,,to much doubt sometime.. Though being older and having learned from mistakes,,means I tend to think a lil more than before.

Back then its get it done and go race

maybe not so much ocd,,but double and triple checking for sure

When its something 'new' that i have not done,,i just keep rechecking my drawings,,rethinking why i feel it "should work',,in the case where i can test it by hand ,,other times just say" ok here we go"

and sometimes that the thrill and the fun,,when it works ,,ya know

20. 32ratsass

32ratsass

I have no idea what you guys are talking about:confused: Can't imagine having a problem like that!!! I've only been working on my chassis for 3 years, have only used about 40 feet of stainless tubing getting my brake lines right. Don't have the problem with having to line up all the screw slots. I switched them all over to torx heads so you only have to go 1/6 of a turn to get them right without over tightening.:D