Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone from Ireland?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Uncle Jess, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Uncle Jess

Uncle Jess
    from Western Ny

My wife and I are traveling to Ireland with a couple friends and have no set agenda. I build cars for a living and when I travel I always enjoy seeing what others are building across the country and in other countries. Just curious if any Irish guys frequent the Hamb and if any were open to a few Americans dropping in to check out the scene across the pond? Thanks. Jesse

2. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Jesse, not QUITE what you are after. I left Ireland 8 years ago but was a member of the American Auto Club which to be honest is about as close as you might get to a HAMB friendly club. There were some old vehicles there, I know because I owned several of them!

I will try to dig out a contact and PM it to you later today.

This link might help.

http://www.classiccarsireland.eu/car_clubs.asp

3. murf 32

murf 32

hi uncle jess .im from Dublin.let me know when your coming over n what part of Ireland your heading to n im sure we can hook up with some fellow rodders .for a few creamy pints of Guinness. Murf

4. scoop

scoop

Jess, you lucky sob,Ireland is the only place outside the US I would like to go to.My moms family came from Ireland.

5. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Don't want to completely sidetrack the post but a quick question...

murf, has the VRT situation gotten any better? I spent a FORTUNE bringing cars in back around 2000. If you see a NYC checker cab, '45 US Army Jeep, '59 cadillac and a few others driving around Dublin you have me to blame

6. Uncle Jess

Uncle Jess
    from Western Ny

Wex, Thanks man great link I will look for your pm!

Murf, Sweet dude Ill pm you, we are all for meeting up for some Guinness!

Scoop, Luck my ass I worked my balls off to take this trip! Ha ha really pretty cheap, 800 for the plane ticket and 200 for a rental car. I cant drive my hotrod to a show and not drop a grand on fuel hotel etc. Life is short bro save some cash and do it! Ill meet you there!

Wex, You sidetracking bastard!

7. wex65

wex65
    from WV

lol, guilty as charged! :eek:

8. Uncle Jess

Uncle Jess
    from Western Ny

9. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

I went to Ireland a few years ago...I tried to get ahold of the car clubs but never heard anything back....I spent 10 days and loved it.... up north in Belfast the memorial walls are really cool, I heard they have a new titantic memorial also. giants causeway is a must see, have to go the Dublin and tour the guinness brewery...nothing like drinking a pint while looking over dublins skyline. head south,,, take a long drive on the ring of Kerry....lots to see, castles, old houses, cemeteries,...theres no iced tea. Budweiser cost more than Guinness,that cracked me up... I pretty much drank Guinness with every meal..the round abouts are a hoot..i only saw a few American cars while there...they looked like giants,,,our rental ford focus was consider a "large car"..i cant wait to go back....

10. Irishman

Irishman

I'm from Northern Ireland. Been living in Texas for 10 years though.
    Sorry, I've no car contacts back home....only got into old rides when I moved here.

The one thing I do miss back home is the driving experience.

Get a stick shift rental and enjoy those fantastic twisty roads with beautiful scenery!

11. murf 32

murf 32

hi wex65, i think if you bring your car in through the UK the vrt is quite cheap .my 32 is a Irish built sedan my chopped wyvern was also built here my 27 will end up a Irish car also
    he he
    .i remember your cars .if im not mistaken were they not sold to the UK in the end up? I'll try find out .love to stay and chat but heading out for a pint of Guinness .yum yum yum.Murf

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  12. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

nunattax here ,still building a rod.be delighed to meet you for a few pints of guinness and to talk cars send a PM

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  13. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Wish that was the case but alas I brought in a nearly new OT BMW 840 back in '99 and paid 28k in VRT alone. That came from the UK. Downed a few beers that night I can tell you. Wish I had a photo of the look on my face when the guy told me the number... priceless.

The US cars might have gone to the UK but I sold them in Dublin, all on one go amazingly enough. To someone that, lets just say was a 'colorful' character, Colm Meaney was cast as one of his cohorts in an enjoyable Irish gangster movie...

14. Uncle Jess

Uncle Jess
    from Western Ny

Thanks for the replies and messages guys, looking forward to meeting some of you! Jesse