Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone ever use Home Depot insulation?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nads, Apr 14, 2005.

1. 52RustRocket

52RustRocket

I Found the "Peel and Stick" stuff at Lowes in NW Houston. It was about $20 for a 9" wide by 25' long roll. It doesn't have the foil side though... it's all rubber with a VERY sticky side when you peel the paper. I used the rubber on the floor, and used the foil/bubblewrap on the roof and firewall(under dash). My buddy said that it sounded like a new car, and I haven't even put in the headliner, carpet, or doorpanels.

2. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I still have many yards of Nomex blanket given me by Dupont Chemical

You can light a flame on one side and not feel it on the other side

It's used on the space shuttle and as fire blankets on Subs

only $1000 per yard but maybe you could find some surplus somewhere

Nads your in FLA....... start looking in dumpsters

Stuff looks like old green Army blankets

3. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Theres no stink to the Home depot stuff I used. Also made it quit sounding like I was driving a tin can. Everything is bare metal in an early Bronco so it made a huge difference in the heat dept. The Chevy truck blower motor sounds like you could get liftoff with it but boy does it put out the heat

4. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm getting ready to do this in my 63 Chevy II.

I believe this is the link:
    http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/alternative-lizard-skin-103610.html

I plan on making my 'homemade lizardskin' and using peel and seal.

I got some of the 'micro-ceramic bubbles' from wickes aircraft supply. I've put down a couple of coats of zero-rust on the floor boards. Now I'm trying to figure out what to mix the ceramic bubbles with. Some of the guys on the other site are mixing it with whatever they can find in the 'mistake bin' at Lowes.

I like the idea of using latex (water based, easy cleanup, low fumes), but I'm a little concerned about how will it will hold up to the heat on the the firewall and trans tunnel. any thoughts?

5. Gusaroo

Gusaroo

I think you guys are talking about Ice and Water shield (for roofing), usually made by Grace. An important thing to remember, make sure the product you use is Butyl based and not asphalt. The regular ice and water shield stuff by Grace is asphalt. If you use this, its going to stink like tar and melt all over the place on your first hot summer day. Grace Ultra is Butyl based and is good for this application. I do not think HD or Lowes carries the ultra. I haven't read the label on that "Peal and Seal" shit yet...

I have a roll of that Reflectix bubble wrap foil left over from a home project, I plan to put it under my carpet for the hell of it.

More info:
    http://www.reflectixinc.com/technology/products.asp
    http://www.graceathome.com/pages/roofingprod.htm
    http://www.cofair.com/peel_seal.aspx

6. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

7. redrico1

redrico1

peel and seal works wonders you will even hear a difference in your audio.

reagen likes this.
  8. this is the stuff I used as well. Went on fantastic and no complaints for sound or heat. I wish I would have found it sooner.

9. monsterflake

monsterflake

is that wickes in highland, illinois? know what else they sell? pipe organ parts! :D

10. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

yes indeed...

http://www.wicksaircraft.com/
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]410 Pine Street
    Highland, IL 62249
    [/FONT]

11. 29moonshine

29moonshine

if you use the peel and seal use a hair dryer to heat it up or put it in the sun it will make it stick better the foil bubble wrap i use power grip to glue it down you can find in the caulking dep at lowes.

12. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I'm glad this thread was brought back from the dead! That make your own lizard skin sounds cool! I gotta start readin gthrough the ten pages on it, but I can tell you a friend of mine got the real deal and used it on both sides of his firewall with no peeling, and he layed it on wayyyyy too thick. Just be sure to have a real clean surface without any residue of , say , brake cleaner , or it'll slide off(guess how I knoww! )

its been at least a few years in so cal heat, he used the insulator and sound deadener, no problems. It helped, definitely. Was it worth the freaking fortune it cost him? uhhhh .... I dunno about that.

But I will borrow the gun he bought just to shoot it ;-)

EDIT: here's a link to an update on someone that used the homemadde stuff. Sounds slike my friend's experience, took the tinninesss out of it

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/alternative-lizard-skin-103610-8.html

another link to cheap insulation discussion

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/170418/post/1258929/hl/fromsearch/1/

13. Gonna try a combo of reflectix and peel and seal...here in Ramona in the Summer your ride turns into an industrial oven...gonna use it in my 48 chevy coupe and the new 46 chevy pickemup...will report back with results

14. 29paul

29paul

For the price of a 10x10 sheet of Dynamat . I did my 29 truck in the Home Depot insulation its the same thing.

15. Gusaroo

Gusaroo

I had read on another forum that a few guys used the asphalt based stuff in their doors, and on the first hot day, they ended up with the stuff getting all soft and smelly, then it all slumped and ended up in the bottom of their door cavities...

16. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

i got a roll of this shit from a job i was on they were using it to wrap the insulation on some ductwork on the roof of this highrise. i am definitely doing my floor and firewall in my essex, but i had some holes to plug first, i cant imagine trying to weld when you have this shit on the backside of it. it gets real hot in that little car. i have never seen anything like it in home depot or lowes, well like the peelnseal but thats only a 6" roll. nothing wider.

17. nexxussian

nexxussian

Gonna have to read up on the home brew lizard skin, I have a pound of Microballons still (and some flox too). Veeery Interestink.

18. Jute is the natural woven fibrous material often seen on the back side of carpeting. Many here seem to think jute is the dense foam material that's often installed under carpeting, or adhered to the back of carpeting.

19. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

i went by lowes today to see what they had.

They had peel and seal 6" x 25' for ~$15.
    They also had this stuff called tight seal, which looked like it was the same thing, except it came in a variety of sizes and was about half price. I nearly bought the tight seal, but i cracked open the edge of each package. the smell of the tight seal was probably twice as strong (asphalt smell). i went with peel and seal.

They also had the reflectix stuff - 2' x 25' sheet for $30. I think I may get some of this to do my roof.

20. Rewired

Rewired
    from Fresno

home depot

Attached Files:

21. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

is that peel and seal? how long ago did you install it?

22. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

i started playing around with this stuff last week - a combo of 'homemade lizard skin' and peel and seal.
    click here for some pics

the lizard skin makes the biggest difference. i believe people were using the peel and seal for sound deadening. haven't noticed a difference because there is so much wind noise in my car right now.

[​IMG]

23. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

Used this in the Impala interior . Put it on the door skins / under the rear side panels / behinf the rear seat / the entire floor [ exhost heat ] , It looks like 2 layers of bubble wrap with no stickey backing , contact cement. I did not use it on the roof because i didnt want it falling down after i installed the head liner.

http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc02848fx0.jpg

i figured it would protect it from heat . sound / dust. I did the package tray too.

24. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

is that the reflectix stuff from lowes?

25. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

I stole it off a job site , the heat guys use it behind duct work ind exterior walls where fiberglass wont fit.. I do not know the R value , but the price was right so i used it.

26. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

63ChevyII thanks for the photo and giving us your results!

I read that whole thread a bit ago about the do it yourself lizard skin, I can't wait to do it. I'm just not 100% sure waht kinda paint and the ratios of it to spheres to use

I was thinking of layering with peel n seel and lobucrod's insulation and jute.

hell if I know if that all will work together but the more the better! I think:confused::D

27. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

no problem.

I mixed it pretty thick, about 3/4 of a bag of spheres with 1/2 gallon of paint.
    I used a zinsser primer (water based). this was painted over 2 coats of zero rust.

[​IMG]

28. Ed ke6bnl

Ed ke6bnl

what brand and place did you get your spheres and please let us know how it works out ED

29. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

30. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

That's really cool.