Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone ever use Home Depot insulation?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nads, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Yup. Lowe's has it, not Home Depot.

2. Bugman

Bugman

I found it at Home Depot, but it wasn't "peel n seal", I don't remember what it was called. Same product, dfferent name.

3. AHotRod

AHotRod

So, what did you end up using?

4. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Absolutely nothing Glenn, zip, eff all.

5. Sir X Loin

Sir X Loin

I was thinking of using this stuff. http://www.quietride.com/acoustishield/heat-shield.htm

Last year i got suckered in to Dynamat 'extreme"... what a waste that was. While it was better than the rubber mat over the bare steel floor. it didnt do much as far as heat insulation. I'm really looking for a good product as my truck is like driving in an oven.

The wife and I were coming back from the 'Hot Rod Hoedown last year and got stuck in NYC traffic on a very hot day. we sat in traffic for around 4 hours. as soon as we got on the Merrit parkway in CT we pulled over. i swear we had heat exhaustion. it was horrible.

Any advise suggestions to cool down your ride would be awesome to hear.
    -Brian

6. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I have a roll of Reflectix that is going in my car in the next week or two, I am on a LOW budget and will not waste money on Dynamat etc. Even if it's not as good as the "high priced" stuff it's a lot better than nothing. There are "reasonable priced" alternatives to a lot of over priced items .

7. Roadsir

Roadsir

That's a great read. Here's my experience. I triple insulated the firewall of my convertible with Dynamat, and two layers of the foil / wool stuff with an aluminum bulhead panel on the inside. I did the complete floor and inner quarters with rubber/foil based product I purchased on EBAY. I thought it was working real well until I ran out could not get more before the upolstery appointment so I went to Best Buy and bought Dynamat extreme. This stuff is far far superior to the generic stuff. I put two 12X12 panels in the doors and they went from a "Bwong"(how's that for technical) when you close the door to a "Thud". I also added more to the inner trunk panels and a bulkhead that I made from aluminum, and it was unbelievable for sound plus the benefit of thermal.
    On my future build I think I might try the lizard skin stuff for thermal properties and selective used of Dynamat Extreme or after reading this article the their competitors for some noise control

8. Yankeyspeed

Yankeyspeed

Great thread. I have that bubble foil stuff on the floor of my Plymouth. And once I get it running again, I am off to Lowes.

9. old yeller

old yeller
    from hebron, ky

I can't think of the name right now, but it's found in the roofing section. It's sold as gutter liner. It comes in 6" by 25' rolls for $16.oo+. Works great as a sound deadner.

10. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Ok guys, at the risk of this look and smelling like spam. I sell a product that insulates better than dynamat, jute or cotton backed foam and a heck a lot better then that foam covered bubble wrap crap. at Homo depot. Ive been selling it at swap meets in the dfw area and have many who buy from me year after year. Instead of going into great detail here just check it out at www.lobucrod.com. I have sold 1000's of rolls with absolutely no complaints. Yeah, i'd like some eggs with my spam.

11. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

12. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

OK..OK..OK..buy it in large quanities..everyone..I'm retired from Home Depot and like my stocks..Help support my retirement, buy, buy, buy at the HOME DEPOT>>
    Duane..

13. someone mentioned "lizard skin" coating. i was on another site and they were talking about the cost and one dude pops up with the recipe to make your own. they claimed all the shit was is micro sized ceramic balls mixed in paint. had all the links for buying stuff to make your own. one claim was the radio contolled model guys used it and make their own. i think it was on hotrodders bulliten board, punch in "lizard skin" on search. from what i read the guy that made his own works as a chemical engineer. worth checking out being you could mix any color up you wanted.

14. ronnyg801

ronnyg801

Care to share the link? I am not familiar with that site...

15. www.hotrodders.com
    Supposedly one of the largest automotive forums on the internet. The search function is a little wonky - you have to drill down first, then search. The search box at the bottom of the main page is almost always a complete waste of time. The most useful thing I found in 10 minutes of searching was a link back to a similar thread here...
    If anyone finds the thread 55Dude is talking about, please post a link for the rest of us :)

My kid's project car had die cut sheets of pressboard between the rubber mats and the steel floors. I'm guessing for sound and/ or heat insulation. Anyone seen that before? I know I can get that at Lowe's.

16. Sir X Loin

Sir X Loin

I have heard of that. the guy from No Limit engineering does that. he uses a piano hinge at the bottom of the dash and basically seals the firewall to the toeboards. seem like it would work...

17. Gigantor

Gigantor

All RIght - interesting reads. My experience and hopes: I used refelctix inside every panel of my 65 Econoline. Cut down on heat, but didn't do shit for sound or vibration. I mention this to my dad several months after the fact and how I couldn't afford dynamat, and he says that there is a product sold in marine supply stores that is a third the cost of dyanmat, comes in 12"x12" sheets and is used commercialy by large boats to deaden the sound and vibration of the engines and motors.
    I sold the van, but thought I would give the marine supply store a shout when I got to that point on my Chevy. Anyone ever hear of this product or used it?

18. You mean the bubbly stuff? I got some on the tranny nhump in the pusher right now.

19. Radio Joe

Radio Joe

I plan to use the PEAL-N-SEAL in my car. I have heard good and bad experiences with using it on the roof or doors. Prep good (like anything) and most people have had good luck. If you live in Arizona maybe you dont want it on the roof.

20. rustypipes

rustypipes
    from san jose

I used the Peel and seal On my 54. It works good, has to be warm out to apply it. I ordered a 100 sqft roll for like $70 bux

21. Sir X Loin

Sir X Loin

WOW! Thanks for the informative link. That is most deffently a must read on the subject. I would like to see how LOBUCROD's product hung in.

Reading that made me think. What about other types of closed cell foam on top of dampening mats. Like i mentioned i bought in to the claims and though if its that expensive its worth it.... in the cab of my 57 chev pick up i did the firewall, floor, and the back of the cab up to the height of the bench seat. on top of that i layered jute on the floor and back of the cab. but in reading the "showdown" im thinking that using a closed cell foam insted of jute would be benificial. input?

I opted not to do the interior roof because i did a contasting paint job. but id rather not sweat my ass off every time i take a summer cruize. but after reading that artical im thinking that i could do the small patch the my original headliner covers.

-Brian

22. rockabillyjoe

rockabillyjoe
    from Seattle

Junk! Like foil bubble wrap.

23. slammed

slammed

Use as much of Both where space will allow. Make's the ol' Chev's door 'thud' like a luxo-barge. Put it every where. And...........ya kin lay, kneel, sit, (dandy fer sunbathing) on a patch of the silver/bubble stuff to work on yer roach when she need's it. As Ren would say to Stimpy "Damit Man, Just do it!"

24. willyswan

willyswan
    from Austin, TX

Bumping this because I am getting ready to work over the interior of my '60 Lesabre. I used this same stuff on my son's mustang several years ago and it worked great. Doubled it up on the firewall and floors. Back then, I found it at Home Depot as hot water tank insulation...it even came with a roll of aluminum tape. Home Depot discontinued it a few years ago. I went online looking yesterday and it was at least $30 a roll plus $15 shipping everywhere I looked. On a whim, I checked JC Whitney and it happens that they are blowing it out at $9.95 a roll on a weekly special. I bought five rolls and shipping was like $9. This special may end today as it looks like the run from Thursday thru Wednesday....check it out.

regards,
    willyswan

25. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

I did the inside of my 68 Bronco pickup with it to keep from freezing to death in Montanas winters along with a Chevy pickup heater. I put it in before the interior but I pity anyone who trys to remove it

26. easyrider47

easyrider47

I did my oold Model A coupe with the stuff that is used to insulate duct ork...looks just like this stuff.. was cheap, got it at one of the home supply stores

27. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

Thanks.

This goes to show that most questions on the HAMB get answered eventually!

28. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Not all Lowe's or Home Depot stores carry exactly the same inventory. In some locations one form of insulation may be better or more acceptable, as well as other products, than in others so the inventory here in Pasadena may not include the Dynamat clone but some other product.
    Insulation is insulation, the tar smell goes away and pretty quickly too. We used a shredded rag old style insulation on the roof, cowl, and rear quarters of the 32 3W glass body in combination with an aluminum/fibreglass insulation, stuck it up with 3M Super Spray Adhesive and it does the job.

29. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

It's sooooooooo f'n cold here I pray for engine heat!!!!!!

30. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I too used the 3M spray and found in later years it wasn't holding.
    I found its best to use a good brush on adhesive instead. that never lets go.