Register now to get rid of these ads!

anyone ever use a fish carburetor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junior 1957, Oct 14, 2007.

1. junior 1957

junior 1957

i saw one 25 years ago on a 73 cadillac i was working on. the guy that owned the car did not know anything about it. said it was on there when he bought the car. he also told me it would get close to 20 mpg on the highway. it ran pretty nice, too me. any thoughts? below are a couple of pics, one is an ardun equipped flathead w/3 fish carbs.[​IMG][​IMG]

2. dorksrock

dorksrock

It almost looks like somthing off of a larger small engine. kina neat!

Jordan

3. TV

TV

I don't know how well they work other than word of mouth, but I have 4 of them and intend on trying them out. They look cool.--TV

4. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

There's been a couple of previous post on here about the Fish Carb I would guess if you do a search you'll find them I had a write up years ago about Fish installing one of his carbs on a stock car at Riverside Park Speedway [Now Six Flags]in Agawam Mass.It was installed on one of the local hot shoes cars and he gained something like 3/10th of a second in lap speeds and increased gas milage besides .One of the earlier posts had pics of the Fish operation

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

some ones got to say it

you can tune a fish
    but can you tune a fish carb?

6. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

oh shit its late and i said it all wrong..im going to bed!

7. 6inarow

6inarow

head on over to inliners - a couple guys over there are really into the fish carb

8. Clark

Clark

Greg from Florida knows about them. A relation of his is a big collector of them and had the decals remade.
    Clark

9. junior 1957

junior 1957

i ran across a guy named mike brown who has the tooling. he says if there is enough interest he will do a limted run of 100, at $850 a pop:eek:

10. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

None of the fish I've had used carburetors. They used gills.

11. DrJ

DrJ

For some reason it looks like/reminds me of a down draft variation on an S&S motorcycle carb.
    Does it have a power circuit/accelerator pump?

12. flatheadhero

flatheadhero
    from California

I have a copy of the original M1,2,3 Fish tuning install info someplace...

13. no accelerator pump, just a "float chamber" - float height is not critical, they have a tuned orifice and a cam sort of arrangement to vary flow with the throttle butterfly. im still learning about these bad boys myself, but i see a constantly variable fuel supply as superior over a traditional carb with only a few different levels of fuel flow to try and meet the demands of the entire operating range, high speed, low speed, loaded, unloaded hot, cold and everywhere between

14. Don Lyon

Don Lyon

Never even seen one, but remember hearing a lot about 'em back in the late 50's, early 60's. Wasnt the big claim to fame a limited number of moving parts?

15. Stovebolt 6

Stovebolt 6

I got one on the 41 Chevy.

Runns like a beast - much better than the 520 Road Demon.

Never saw so much raw, brute power out of a inline 6.

It also sound and feels different - much like you convert to LPG.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike Brown was sending me a mail 2 weeks ago, that he will make some more now. But $800 is a lot of money as long as the originals still pop up on ebay for $200-$350

16. HotrodVon

HotrodVon

How did you jet your Fish for the Chevy 6?

Keven

17. Retrorod

Retrorod

"Give a man a fish and he just has a fish, show a man how to tune a fish, and he has a carb forever"

18. Road Runner

Road Runner

What kind of bait for this carp? :rolleyes:

Why wasn't every carb made this way? Or was it mostly for race engines?
    Something's fishy...

19. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Holy Mackerel! Thats a lota Clams!

20. Stovebolt 6

Stovebolt 6

You don´t jet a Fish, cause it has no normal jets.

Have a look here: http://fish.jan-wulf.de/main.html

Frank

21. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Quote:
    It also sound and feels different - much like you convert to LPG.

Not trying to side track the thread but the LPG comment caught my interest. I just finished converting my Stude truck with a flathead 245-6 to run on LPG with dual "carbs." on an Edmunds intake. The propane "carbs." aren't really carbs, but mixers actually as the vaporizing of the liquid propane is done in the separate "vaporizer" component. So, the "carbs." or mixers are mostly throttle bodies with some kind of diaphram that keeps the mixture in the correct proportions to burn properly. But anyway, the point is that the engine now definitely has more kick to it and sounds better too from when it was just the stock single barrel gas carb setup. Not sure if it was the dual carbs. or the LPG that did it or maybe a combination of both.

One thing I like about the LPG, besides my wife doesn't complain about the gas smell anymore, is that it is actually a pretty simple and low toxic system.

I never actually understood why gas carbs had to be so incredibly complicated (because I just don't know much about carbs basically). Good to see some cool gas ones like this that are more simple and may actually perform better to boot. With my limited carb skills, I could maybe deal with these. Maybe they are more friendly to multi-carb setups too since they are more simple.

Here are a couple of pics of the propane setup and a movie of it running before I got it in tune and no exhaust beside the dual cast manifolds.

http://www.transmissions-gallery.com/245-progress-2.jpg
    http://www.transmissions-gallery.com/2R11-propane-2.jpg
    http://www.transmissions-gallery.com/stude-245-propane.mpg

22. Stovebolt 6

Stovebolt 6

Because it worked to good. The company´s claim was Zip & mileage and they said that you gain 30% hp and 30% mileage over the stock carb.

And as far motor journalists wrote about it back than, it was exactly what it did.

The one I got was modified for racing by the fish company and was raced in the early 50s (the former owner told me). But the normal Fish carbs where for street driving.

Frank

P.S. I think you bait it with carb-o-hydrats. Only the italian version is catched with Carbonada

23. yeah, I believe the correct term would be "gills" not "jets"....

Hey, what's one more bad fish joke at this point?

24. Road Runner

Road Runner

:D
    Very cool to see a fish carp on an early Chevy 6...

Sehr gut - jetzt geh und brich die Schallmauer auf der Autobahn ... :p
    Do you guys still can wind it up with no speed limit ?

30% in gains sounds like good ole American product advertizing...
    Keep us posted on how it runs during the cold months and what your city and freeway milage looks like.

25. Stovebolt 6

Stovebolt 6

60% of the Autobahn is limited on 75 mph now. But on the rest you can go as fast as you can.

....well if you can.
    Most of the time it is so full that you are lucky to go 65 mph at all.

The fastest I went with the 41 Chevy was arround 90 mph.
    With those wide withwalls that gives you white knuckles and brown pants.

Frank

26. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

I remember an entrant in the world rally chaps in the 70's running a fish carb. I think it was on a FIAT ,which screamed it's little lungs out...It all served to make the Fish carp really popular in Europe.
    [​IMG]
    http://fish.jan-wulf.de/hist-eng.html

27. nexxussian

nexxussian

Ewwwww.

28. recycler

recycler

Sounds like the predecessor to the Predator carb .
    Brad

29. budd

budd

i was thinking the same thing, we ran a predator on a pulling truck years ago, as far as a carb making your engine run better or better gas mileage, if you air to fuel ratio is correct thats all your going to get, thats why efi works so well.

30. TwinH

TwinH
    from Finland

Interesting thread. My friend has two Fish carbs. He took one apart for me to see and that thing is so simple! There´s like one gasket and only a few moving parts. Very interesting design. Would love to test one to see if it makes any difference in performance.