Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone ever use a 40 Merc Steering set up in a Model A?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Levis Classic, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

I have two 1940 Mercury complete steering columns, boxes, and steering wheels. I was looking for a 40 Ford set up but may use one of these. Does anyone know if the box is the same? The column and steering wheel is slightly different. But not sure about the gear box. Here is a photo:

Attached Files:

2. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

And the box

Attached Files:

3. It's the same as a 40 Ford. Works great for cross stearing. You will have to shorten the column most likely. I think the shaft is two pieces joined with a coupler. It's easy to cut down. That stearing wheel is cool too, and you can get a repo horn button for those too.

4. sawzall

sawzall

A few years ago I started building a model a RPU.. I had the same 40 ford box you show. I mounted it in a cross steer fashion using the mounting tab that I had cut off my 40 ford. IT worked well and fit in the chassis with no problems. this should work fine for you with out any cutting..

5. Recently on a 29 A -I used a 39 ford box-column[same box] and used frt axle from same car.I installed frt axle and used the cross STEER tierod from box to right wheel at its stock 39 length-just moved box BACK till it was right! drove pretty good.I didnt shorten column on mine cause I had lengthened the frame [thu engine bay 3"]

6. I mounted a 39 ford box/column in my 33 ford chassis. I used a modified 19?? ford box mount bracket and popped a 59 AB motor in place. Manifold to box clearance was tight but I solved the problem using a pair of tubular headers. Hadda restructure the header tube linking the 1st nd 2nd exhaust ports to clear the box but the effort was well worth it when I took the first drive...drove like a new car. No bump steer and steering effort was nil. I usta have photos of the exhaust modifications but lost 'em in a computer crash.

7. Jimmy

Jimmy

I used a '40 Ford box, laid on its side, in my '29. I modified the pitman arm and it pushes/pulls on the driver's side spindle like the original box did. Two differences from stock are that I ran the pitman shaft under the frame rail instead of through it and the pitman arm points up, not down. It's a lot like the way the early Mustang steering boxes were set up for use in rods.

The box you have looks very much the same as the one I used.

Here's photo of my car where you can see the pitman arm (not modified yet) and part of the box where it comes out under the frame rail.

Attached Files: