Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone ever remove a front clip from a '63 Galaxie?!?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hooligan63, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Well,I'm getting ready to drop my motor in,and decided I just wanted to remove the radiator core support,but it looks like it's not going to be that easy. Has anyone remove d the front clip? Is there an easier way than unbolting every single thing just so I can drop the motor and trans in as one unit?

2. HONESTHERMAN

HONESTHERMAN

It seems like may be a difficult project for you to get this motor in. Have you considered getting a local mechanic to put it in? That may be faster and easier for you.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Removing a front clip should be pretty easy. There is one or two bo;ts under the core support, a bolt on each side at the fender/cowl top, a few more down each side and underneath the bottom of the fender. Unhook wires, hoses and get a couple of buddies with strong backs, lift off entire front end assembly, set aside............LOTS of room to work. You'll be glad you did...............

Ray

4. Yes, the whole front clip can come off as a unit. First, remove the hood and set it out of the way. A few hidden bolts you have to know where to find. Each fender is attached to the cowl at three points. The first is at the top and in plain sight, visible with the hood out of the way. One bolt on each side hidden behind the kick panels, about halfway up the door jamb. Pull the kick panels off and you'll need a socket and long extension to get to it. Then under the bottom of each fender there are a couple of bolts. Everything up front ties into the radiator cradle, just unbolt that from the frame, and remove any bolts holding inner fender to frame rail and cowl. Of course, you'll obviously need to disconnect wiring harness from lights and horn, drain cooling system, and remove radiator hoses. Then you and a buddy or two should be able to lift the whole clip and set it off.

5. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

And this is why I love the fucking HAMB. You guys just saved me a huge headache.

6. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

By the way,there's no motor,radiator or trans in the car right now. Everything is already disconnected.

7. Watch for any body shims and tag them where they have to go back!