Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone ever race w/ Edelbrock Victor Jr. aluminum Heads before ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Littleman, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I have been researching sbc aluminum heads....been looking @ Dart, Brodix, RHS, World, Trickflow and such...........I never even considered looking into Edelbrock's stuff....Only because when I hear Edelbrock I think of Streetrodish stuff and folding chairs...

Well the other night I was snooping around the net and checked out what Edelbrock had.....I did not know they made a race head....The Victor Jr. aluminum w/ 215cc runners, 2.08/1.60 valves w/ a 64cc chamber angle plug type and came w/ 7/16 rocker studs standard........I started digging for flow #'s from other independant resources to compare all the different make heads....and the Edelbrock's flowed just as well as the darts.......

and it sounds like Edelbrock does their own castings all here in the states....which is hard to find anymore....I am thinking of trying another head...since my Patriot's have cost me a small fortune in repair's and I have no confidence in them and their quality and orientation ect..Has anyone played w/ the Edelbrock Victor Jr's ?..........Edelbrock has been around from the start of HotRodding Madness..............Thank's, Littleman

Heads are like Camshafts....you can go too big..........I am running 195cc 2.05/1.6's now....I would not go any bigger than the 215cc's of the Edelbrock's...to maintain some velocity....sure I could go w/ 230cc Darts, but I would not be utilizing them too well.....it's an easy mistake to make in my opinion...

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  2. Ruiner

Ruiner

I can attest to how clean and amazingly up to date Edelbrock's casting facilities are...as for not considering them, Edelbrock and Dart would be the first 2 companies I'd look into for SBC stuff...street rod or not, Edelbrock knows their shit when it comes to SBC stuff...

3. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

I have heard good thing about the vic jr race heads. Buddy of mine has a set on his sand drag rail runs around 3.60 in the 300ft sand.

I have a set of bare aluminum Phase 6 bow tie heads under my bed that I would sell cheap. Check out the numbers of them

Tom

4. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

I have not raced them, but my son has them on his SBF, the car hauls ass and IMO the Vic Jr heads are top notch...

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. 35ratbstr

35ratbstr
    from Colorado

You should probably snoop around and talk to some engine builders or head porters. They will generally let you know the pro and cons to all brands.
    The last set of Aluminum heads i bought were Brodix that where CNC ported by Weld.
    $4500 bare............. That was 10 + years ago.
    Prices have come down quite a bit with technology.
    Good luck

6. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Those edelbrock heads are up tp date and up to the type of task your going to put them through. plus they are made in the USA

7. beatnik

beatnik

I have Victor Jr's on a 306 SBF, they work well. When I freshened up the engine I had them flowed they fell short of the advertised numbers, but with a little bowl clean up and port match we got above them.

I've also had really good luck with AFR heads.

Gus

8. todd_a

todd_a
    from Tyler, TX

Second the AFR heads. Those are sweet! I also had some decent luck with some Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads.
    But those AFR's are very nice.

9. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

My daughter and I took a trip to Summit Racing today....I had them pull and bring to the counter a set of Victor Jr's, Dart's, Brodix and a set of AFR's...........They did not seem too happy w/ me, they said Sir we have most of these on display.......I said I want to look at what is coming out of the box......We left w/ a set of AFR's w/ the racing cnc port work, not the full out competition cnc port job..that was like another 5-600 bucks more......The AFR 210 cc w/ 2.08/1.60 valves w/ the racing cnc port work just blew away the Darts and the other heads hands down....not to mention the flow # comparisons and finish...and they cost the same as the Darts...which had no port work and the runners needed cleaned up badly.......One the road to getting it back together making noise pollution, still upset we cannot figure out what was going on w/ the Patriot heads...other than they are Patriots, Littleman

Thanks for all your input !!!....Dave

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  10. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

I had Victor Jr's on a 347 Ford and they were great. They are widely known as a great head for Fords but not so much for Chevys. AFR's are one of the best out there. Darts have slacked a bit at refining their designs but AFR has stayed on top of it.

I want an update when you hit the number.

11. slepe67

slepe67
    from NW MT

AFR's and Canfields. THe Victor Jrs are good, but those two are the best. Try SBFTech.com and search. Seriuos engine building site, these guys know their Ford engines!!!

12. alastair

alastair

i recomend racer pro heads from Australia baddest 23 degrees on the market. and 18 degrees and 13 degrees

13. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

Littleman,
    Dave Sr. has a set on his 55' Gasser but we haven't run it down the strip yet It's a pretty nasty smallblock, so we're anxious to see. He used those because he happened to have a pair that were dyno time only sitting on the shelf.
    Alot of guys around here are going with CFE's small block cylinder heads. They say the one of the better bangs for ther buck ( ad inside cover National Dragster last week)
    You might want to call Dave Layer @ Heads UP!. He makes those stocker and super stockers fly with GM heads..Plus he can give yoiu some good advice...

14. mattrunner

mattrunner
    from uk

good info...i have also switched to sbc aluminum heads for better info. the overall increase in performance is very good and the specs on it are really great.

15. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

I can't say anything about Chevy's, as I've been a Ford guy since the 80's, but this article has some good information on Trick Flow SBC heads.
    I have a set of TFS-R high port heads on my 408 Windsor and they have been messaged to make some very serious HP. TFS were the people that put the SBF on the map!

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/trick_flow_twisted_wedge_head_dyno_test/index.html

If you want to make serious HP with a SBF race motor, then there is one head that really shines and although they ain't cheap, they were on most of the SBF Fords in the Jegs Engine Masters Challenge............http://www.chiheads.com.au/

Those guys from Down Under really are making some great products!

IMHO

16. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

In the Pontiac World, thats one of the few choices we had up until a few years ago. Edelbrock worked with some of the Top Pontiac Engine Builders and created a wide port casting. Don't quote me on this stuff, I am sure Steve Barak could make more sense than I can.

So, are they a viable option for a race car - I would think so!